AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to work today I saw what looked like speakers sitting next to the garbage of myi new neighbors house. Turns out they are Bose 501 series 3 speakers from 1977. I was born in 1980 sooo yeah, old.

I got them home....well one pic says everything.

So a few minutes research reveals that Parts Express has drop in replacement woofage for about 30 bucks a piece.

I just have to ask...I don't know anything about these speakers, but since my marty build, Im in the hunt for some newer, bigger than my 8 inch in wall monoprice mains.

Should I rebuild?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW Im aware of the...dislike...of bose products, and I wouldn't normally look at them, but the goal would be to use quality drivers to get results from the cabinets. Im even open to crossover suggestions ect... if I need to update everything.

I think it would be cool to have great sounding speakers, and when people see the bose, naturally say....ohh yeah, bose! lol, then drop the fact that there isn't anything bose in the cabinets hahah.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well after just a little searching online I found a few sites that have been through this before. I think a 100 ish dollar invesment from free speakers will be fun to play with lol. Parts express here I come.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didnt rub but parts are already on the way. i sanded the enclosures and painted them black. ordered some black speaker cloth to make them look more modern. Im not even sure how they will sound but i just enjoying tinkering lol

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Cool, I hope it works out for you.

I also hope that you are sure that the drivers you ordered have the proper parameters to work in that enclosure.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
woofers should be ok. lot of reviews on Parts express stating they used those exact woofers for 501 rebuilds.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooly1  /t/1526330/bose-501-series-3-rebuild#post_24596511

woofers should be ok. lot of reviews on Parts express stating they used those exact woofers for 501 rebuilds.

Good deal, nice garbage pile find!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well they are done. They sound great to me with the new DAYTON classic 10. The difference between the monoprice in wall speakers and these is incredible. I'm happy with my 60bucks spent on woofers investment.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Better pics

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol I am not handy, however, I do enjoy doing this intñe spare minutes I have. I think this took maybe two hours between sanding painting rewoofing and the new cloth. Btw the Marty still isn't done. Need the carpet put on still.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooly1  /t/1526330/bose-501-series-3-rebuild/0_100#post_24619302

Lol I am not handy, however, I do enjoy doing this intñe spare minutes I have. I think this took maybe two hours between sanding painting rewoofing and the new cloth. Btw the Marty still isn't done. Need the carpet put on still.

I still say you do grip tape instead ( like whats on the top of a skate board ).  : )  

Truthfully, it kinda pissed me off when you mentioned that you didnt think some of your friends would be to careful around your sub.

My thinking is, if that if they are going to be careless, at least when they rub up against your sub, instead of nice soft carpet, let them rub up against something that'll wake them up a bit, and say hey, I'm a fine bass reproduction instrument, handmade by Sooly1....be careful around me.  

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The buddies have respected the room very well so far. I'm more worried about my two year old at this point lol. On a side note I feel comfortable playing movies with only the Bose late at night. They give great bass but not to much as to wake up my kids

1 - 15 of 15 Posts