AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking into a reasonably priced set of new speakers, and the two i have come upon that i can get a good price on are the Sony SSM-F600H and the Bose 601.

but i just noticed the Bose are not magnetically video shielded. they will be sitting directly to the sides of my 47" projection TV...does magnetic interference affect projection TV's as well? if so, why are the Bose speakers not shielded?

also, does anyone know the frequency range and sensitivity ratings for the 601s, and any reviews of the speakers themselves?

thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts
Um.... Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Bose....

Bose isn't known for making anything, um, good...

You work at Best Buy, so you get good discounts from their wares, right? that is why you are considering Bose?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i do work at BB...first of all, im not an AVS regular, so how did you know that?

but yes, it was my first reaction, so i did some research and now im no longer even considering bose. their tactics apparently worked, only i wasnt as careless as some people to to purchase their NAME rather than their product without researching.

ive come to two choices, the sony and the yamaha ns-a200xt. both of which i get discounted. with equal sensitivity and the sony's better frequency range and better looks, AND better cost, im leaning towards the sony unless someone changes my mind. this will be coupled with JBL's new s120PII 400-watt 12" subwoofer, and a center channel to replace my current one. (was considering the bose VCS-10 for that as well.

thanks for the quick reply...and again, how did you know i worked at BB?

·
Registered
674 Posts
In your profile.....

Occupation Best Buy Sales

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ha, shows you how long its been since ive been to this board, i dont even remember making a profile. but you answered my question.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well. why not look at this the standard way? Tell us about your room, your current system, your goals, and your budget. There is a chance we might be able to put something even better than what you can get--even with employee discount! Buying internet direct and buying used can do that, lol! Especially if you make a system with a lot of synergy in it..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sure, if you guys have the time to give input i can provide the info.

Panasonic PT47Wx49 16:9 HD RPTV (trying to find someone to buy this as we speak so i can switch televisions to the sony 51" HD 16:9 RPTV) i like it much better.

Yamaha HTR5280 Reciever

JVC XVFA95GD 7 Disc Progressive DVD changer

RCA DirecTV (will be adding an HDTV tuner when they are slightly more affordable)

Custom Built HTPC (2 Ghz P4, 512 DDRAM, GeForce 3) running to the TV through powerstrip thanks to this board.

JBL 400-watt 12" Subwoofer (awaiting purchace)

at thsi time im also shopping for a new center channel and possibly new rears, in addition to a decent set of front towers. im open to recommendations on the towers. i can spend up to $550 shipped, but am looking to spend more like $300 or less (or go with the sony's which i get for about $150 at work)

which brings me to another question...how logical (acoustically and otherwise) would it be to just buy two pairs of these sony's (since i get them for half-price) and sit them side by side, 2 on each side? would this be problematic or would it actually be a sonic improvement? im also considering adding a third subwoofer to my system (dual 8" 250-watt yamaha) based on whether these sony's will produce enough midbass from their unpowered 8's.

in addition, i play video an dcomputer games regularly, own every supported game system, so games should be considered as well.

so to sum it up, i need a speaker setup that will provide good sound for DVD's and MP3's first of all (i don tusually listen to CD's), and will also sound good for computer games and console games, as well as television.

whew...let me know if you got any suggestions

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since you work at BestBuy, have you considered JBL? They seem like the best brand availabe there, but then again its up to your taste and budget.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.