AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! In the Bose manual for the Acoustimass 10, it says that the wiring is not intended to go inside the walls. But it's a 5.1 set up and the wires look really clunky. How big a deal is it if I put them through my walls and ceiling anyway? It just seems strange that they would include wire that I can't thoroughly conceal.

Thanks guys!

·
The Village Idiot
9,653 Posts
Its a disclaimer by Bose in case your house burns down and the fault is in the wires that they told you not to put there that you did anyway and ended up burning your house down - and they won't have to pay for damages. FWIW its highly unlikely that installing them in the walls will burn the house down - but you didn't hear that from me.:confused:

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
are the bose speakers better than andrew jones speakers? i am deciding to buy the AJ speakers.
Not a chance. Bose are the worst speakers you could possibly buy.

If I had a choice of Bose speakers or get shot, I'd choose the latter.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Also if you do fit inwall wiring for Bose, then change to regular AV system, those wires will be useless.

Bose have own wiring method.

If you fit banana plug connectors or have trunking with letter box type flap with 16 gauge speaker cable, you can use whatever speaker system you want.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also noticed that the Bose wiring does have the special Bose wiring. However, with the sub having it's own LFE, I don't see why I couldn't just use my own speaker wire. Does anyone know if it affects sound quality if you use your own wire and don't pass through audio to the Bose sub?

·
Registered
28,802 Posts
I also noticed that the Bose wiring does have the special Bose wiring. However, with the sub having it's own LFE, I don't see why I couldn't just use my own speaker wire. Does anyone know if it affects sound quality if you use your own wire and don't pass through audio to the Bose sub?
The bass module has all the crossovers for the satellite speakers. You need to use the base module with the sats.

Or better yet, buy another brand of speaker.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, thanks guys. I called Bose and they basically said the same thing. You just get stronger sound if you use the bass module because of the crossover inside.

Thanks homies!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
For what it's worth, I don't believe it's a problem with the wire catching the house on fire from use. Rather, the jacket is not fire-rated. So, if there is a fire in the house, since the jacket is not rated for in-wall, it may act as a wick or combust from the heat, helping carry the flame up the walls. A fire-rated jacket will stave off this for a time.

Succinctly, installing the wire in the wall is very unlikely to create a fire, but it could help it spread more quickly. If it does, and your insurance company is looking for an out to avoid payment, they'll get it. So, I'd recommend against it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts