AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
The series Is were the best and the series VI were the worst. I owned both. I wasn't exposed to much hi-end audio when I bought my first pair in the early 70s. Now even Bose has given up on the 901s.
I believe I had the Series IIs.

Still in use today by my ex brother in law!

For their time they were great.

Got them from the old man when he moved to Venezuela.

They were hanging from the ceiling in their den.

His main system had Dahlquist DQ10s with the passive subwoofer.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I liked bose acoustimass in the 80's in my tiny bedroom before the internet :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have an acoustimas 10 and frankly it's not a bad system. But those little cubes don't give much out.

Since i discovered this forum, my eyes have opened to much better systems for less.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Not sure what you're talking about, but this Bose Acoustimass 6 Series III are considered as number 1 and top 10 of home theater surround sound. I did homework research on Google and YouTube before I bought this set.

This has to be a troll post :eek::eek:

I find it funny how some people genuinely think something like Bose is #1 or even top 10 where's more than 250 pairs of speakers costing $100,000 or more. Price doesn't always equate to better performance, but come on, when there's literally hundreds of speakers costing 6 figures (and by my count, there are seven speakers that cost 7 figures which is $1 million or more)
How can something cost around a grand be anywhere near.

Its the same as thinking a hedge fund billionaire lives in a 4 bedroom house or that the fastest car in the world is a Volkswagen Passat. Or that film directors use iPhone 7's to film block buster movies.

That said, Bose isn't even competitively priced in the $300-3000 market either, not trying to beat a dead horse but there's at least 10 alternatives in each price class that outperform them :p

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sadly to hear this from you all, but the truth is the truth.

What about the connections on the cube speakers referring to my question?

Duuuude. Don't be listnnn to these audeofile snobs, Bose are SWEEEEET!!!!

But too git tha bst stup yu gotta get the clok radeo and put it ona top o yur TV!

That is gnnna giv yu hella base!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just read this...keepen it reeel

Since its foundation by Dr. Amar G. Bose in 1964, Bose has focused its efforts on reproducing natural, live sound via home audio components, relying on a blend of reflected and direct sound to create a live effect. The acoustic waveguide system, first introduced in 1984, brings this principle to the Bose Wave series of radios, which includes the Wave Music System III, Wave Radio III, Acoustic Wave Music System II and Wave SoundTouch Music System, as of 2014. When these devices fail to output the intended natural sound, turn to manufacturer-recommended troubleshooting tips.

Blending reflected and direct sounds to create a live effect? Pure Genius! I will tell you a little secret if you really want THE BEST sound.

Get yourself a stand that is head height. Put it right behind your chair and put another Bose wave radio. That's right, you have the Accoustamass HT system, a clock radio on top of your TV, and a clock radio BEHIND your head.

I am telling you, it is better than anything, especially if you watch repeats of Jerry Springer and Oprah.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi All!

I have this set Bose Acoustimass 6 Series III. My questions are this are the single cubes and each individual cubes doesn't labels such as Center, Front, Left Right neither as rear surround sound labels Left Right at all. How would I know consider speakers which one belongs to which one. Please advise thanks!
Wow. As you can tell there are several here that are too high and mighty to even try and help.

Sounds like you need a copy of the owners manual..

·
Registered
808 Posts
Wow. As you can tell there are several here that are too high and mighty to even try and help.

Sounds like you need a copy of the owners manual..

I am very high, but only moderately mighty.

But seriously. We are trying very hard to help. Bose is absolute garbage, and expensive for what you actually get. If you are resourceful you can get some decent sound for $700.

I got deals and bargains on all my gear, you just have to be patient and resourceful.

We get this thread every 2 weeks and do our best to help.

Everytime it is the same New Guy: "Hey everyone, what is the best way to set up my Bose Accustacrap."

AVS Forum: Do you have the receipt? If yes, take it back. Get XYZ (real equipment by companies that do actual R and D and try and make decent gear). It is the same price and way way better.

New Guy: "No, seriously, ha ha, stop jopking....what is the best way to....."

AVS Forum: "We are serious, take, it back/sell it......"

New Guy: "Stop being so high and mighty and be of help...."

AVS Forum: "Sigh...:(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Thank you all for your comments, it's definitely gave me a second thought about Bose systems. I got this Bose set for $150. Pretty cheap I'd think compare with originally was $700 bucks.

Anyways for $150 bucks I don't think I can get a decent home theater system better than this set? Correct me if I'm wrong, however imo I don't think the Bose Center speaker did good job sounding (the sounds is not crisp clear, not much of treble) so therefore I am thinking of getting a better Center Speaker for cheap budget under $100 bucks suggestions anyone?

Also shall I just upgrade better Center speakers and keep this bose set or shall I sell this Bose set and get a new system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sell the Bose and start with this Denon receiver http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs510bt/denon-avr-s510bt-5.2-ch-x-70-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html

Add a pair of RBH R5Bi speakers. Call RBH to get B stock to save some cash. Then a few months later buy a sub. You should consider Emotiva S8 to get you to a kickass 2.1.

From here on you can add RBH center channel or one additional R5Bi to use as a center channel. Surrounds should be no more than $70/pair and you don't need to match brands for them.

Sent from my noble decide. Please exucse any typos.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Sell the Bose and start with this Denon receiver http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs510bt/denon-avr-s510bt-5.2-ch-x-70-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html

Add a pair of RBH R5Bi speakers. Call RBH to get B stock to save some cash. Then a few months later buy a sub. You should consider Emotiva S8 to get you to a kickass 2.1.

From here on you can add RBH center channel or one additional R5Bi to use as a center channel. Surrounds should be no more than $70/pair and you don't need to match brands for them.

Sent from my noble decide. Please exucse any typos.
Thanks Khurramtm,

I currently own a Denon AVR-1613 5.1 Channel 3D Home Theater AV Receiver.... I this is kinda sucks because I just got all the Bose Speakers hooked up and wires professionally runs plus the wall mount the rears speakers completed yesterday. Wish I knew about this forum before I bought the Bose speakers. My wife and I saw Apocalypto last night. The Bose speakers sounded ok, but it could of been better with better Center speakers. Eventually I will switch to the better speakers system, but for now I'm just over load for all this hassle I've been through.

Please recommend me a good Center speakers that sounds clear with vocal and more trebles. Thank you so much guys you all are awesome!

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you paid $150 for that system then that sounds about right for what it is. You can probably make some money off of the Bose marketing machine and resell it and turn a profit. So I would say you did good. :)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Thanks Khurramtm,

I currently own a Denon AVR-1613 5.1 Channel 3D Home Theater AV Receiver. I this kinda sucks because I just got all the Bose Speakers system hooked up and all the wires cable professional run plus the wall mount the rears speakers completed yesterday. Wish I new about this forum before I bought the Bose speakers. My wife and I saw Apocalypto lastnight. The Bose speakers sounds pretty decent, but it could of sound better with the Center speakers I would think. I eventually I'm pretty I will switch to the better speakers system.
If you think the bose aren't that bad and don't want to go to the hassle of selling them, you could just use them as rears. If you ever want to do the 7.1 thing, you could use four of the bose cube thingies w/ new front three... if not, selling the spares are also an option.

If the fronts are wall mounted, look for small (but better speakers) that fit your mounts. If not, just get a set of decent bookshelves + center (and ideally at least a little sub). If on a budget, consider used via CL.

$150 isn't exactly a huge outlay, so expect you could resell or just make use of them as surrounds if you want. If in no rush, keep an eye on Sony Core prices, as they have gone for $100-$110/set in the past. Center may be iffy, but for the price the bookshelves are considered good.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Thank you for your comments, it's definitely gave me a second thought about bose systems. I got this bose set for $150. Pretty cheap I'd think compare with originally was $700 bucks.

Anyways for $150 bucks I don't think I can get a decent home theater system better than this set? Correct me if I'm wrong. However imo I don't think the bose Center speaker did good job (the sound is not crisp clear, not much of treble) so therefore I am thinking of getting a better Center Speaker for cheap budget under $100 bucks suggestions anyone?

Also shall I just upgrade better Center speakers and keep this bose set or shall I sell this Bose set and get a new system?

Thanks!
For $150 you did well; if you decide to make a change down the road sell the whole thing as the individual speakers should not be used without the bass module.

Change these settings in your receiver after running the room EQ using the microphone.

Turn OFF Cinema EQ, Dynamic compression, Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ.

Try different settings for Dialog Level, Center Width and Center Image to find the one that sounds best.

Don't be afraid to turn up the volume on the center speaker.

Use Audyssey Flat, not Audyssey Multi EQ.

These will all help improve treble performance and center channel performance.

If any of these settings result in worse sound then keep changing until you find a middle ground that works for you.

Again, for $150 you did very well as a major improvement will cost around $500 or so.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
For $150 you did well; if you decide to make a change down the road sell the whole thing as the individual speakers should not be used without the bass module.

Change these settings in your receiver after running the room EQ using the microphone.

Turn OFF Cinema EQ, Dynamic compression, Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ.

Try different settings for Dialog Level, Center Width and Center Image to find the one that sounds best.

Don't be afraid to turn up the volume on the center speaker.

Use Audyssey Flat, not Audyssey Multi EQ.

These will all help improve treble performance and center channel performance.

If any of these settings result in worse sound then keep changing until you find a middle ground that works for you.

Again, for $150 you did very well as a major improvement will cost around $500 or so.

Thanks gajCA,

I definitely need help on re-setup on the settings. Please show me step by step how to get a better sounds right setup with more trebles. I bought this recievers for $20 bucks at swapmeet with remote control but no microphone thingin. I'm looking forward to hear from you to walk me through step by step setup. Thanks

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Thanks Khurramtm,

I currently own a Denon AVR-1613 5.1 Channel 3D Home Theater AV Receiver.... I this is kinda sucks because I just got all the Bose Speakers hooked up and wires professionally runs plus the wall mount the rears speakers completed yesterday. Wish I knew about this forum before I bought the Bose speakers. My wife and I saw Apocalypto last night. The Bose speakers sounded ok, but it could of been better with better Center speakers. Eventually I will switch to the better speakers system, but for now I'm just over load for all this hassle I've been through.

Please recommend me a good Center speakers that sounds clear with vocal and more trebles. Thank you so much guys you all are awesome!

I'm about to sell my Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 on eBay for around $100. It's just like I bought it and in excellent condition. They run $220 new. Below is some stock photos and here's the link to check it out!

https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/procenter-1000

Attachments

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Thanks gajCA,
I definitely need help on re-setup on the sittings. Please show me step by step how to get a better sounds right setup with more trebles. I bought this recievers for $20 bucks at swapmeet with remote control but no micro phone thingin. I'm looking forward to hear from you to walk me through step by step setup. Thanks
Go ahead and order the microphone from here; it should really help.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/maracm1h/marantz-acm1hb-audyssey-setup-microphone-for-marantz-onkyo-denon/1.html

But for now reset the receiver to factory settings as per instructions on page 123 of your manual then try the things suggested before.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20120528160800/Manuals/033/033AV1613.PDF

See page 11 of your Bose manual how to set the speakers in your receiver as it is quite different than what you would do with "normal" speakers.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20170403121000/Manuals/018/018AM10VB.PDF

BTW, great great job getting that receiver for twenty bucks!

Sorry other AVS members seem hell bent on crushing you rather than helping you.

Once you get the microphone you will have a system that is far better than an expensive soundbar.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Thanks gajCA,
I definitely need help on re-setup on the sittings. Please show me step by step how to get a better sounds right setup with more trebles. I bought this recievers for $20 bucks at swapmeet with remote control but no micro phone thingin. I'm looking forward to hear from you to walk me through step by step setup. Thanks
You do have the remote for the receiver, right?

After resetting the receiver go to page 80 and go through the steps.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20170403121000/Manuals/018/018AM10VB.PDF

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I'm about to sell my Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 on eBay for around $100. It's just like I bought it and in excellent condition. They run $220 new. Below is some stock photos and here's the link to check it out!

https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/procenter-1000
Strangely the guy I got my procenter 1000 from had a bose setup too and originally got the procenter because he couldn't hear any dialogue. Later he just sold it all and went the soundbar route, felt it was an improvement -- I expect basically because it came with a small subwoofer.

Although honestly I think the OP should either just go with a new front three, or go super cheap. Meaning make due with his bose, or get something like a $30 Dayton/Fluance or CL center. Tons of people on CL sell okay-ish centers at

21 - 40 of 59 Posts