AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bose acoustimass is not really audiophile setup system. Bose sucks big time etc etc...I get it..

Unfortunately i have an acoustimass 6 and I happen to do the audio calibration using the DVE blu ray. Surprise !!! The sub woofer was totally silent !!! Now I understand that the module is not really a sub woofer and cuts of quite a few low frequency ranges, but still I would have thought I should hear some sound at one of those levels atleast from the other speakers. Now I tried this with subwoofer on and other speakers "small" and with subwoofer off and other speaks "Large". In either case no dice....whats going on here !!!!?

Any help.....please....

·
Registered
22,829 Posts
It's NOT a "subwoofer". It's a bass module designed to be a midrange/woofer to compliment the cubes. No surprise. Quite simple.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
Does it really "connect" to the LFE output? If so, is your receiver properly configured? There should be at least SOME output from it with a calibration disc. Does your calibration disc have any sweep tracks that are encoded in the LFE channel?

·
Registered
22,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15546499

Does it really "connect" to the LFE output?

No... it can't (shouldn't). The Bose AM interconnects go from the speaker level outputs of the amp/receiver with a proprietary "umbilical" to the AM bass module. The cubes connect to the outputs of the module.

Any LFE test tones are probably too low for the AM module (which BTW... is NOT a subwoofer) and can not be produced, even if the speaker management to is to "large".

I feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger repeating (it's not a subwoofer)... "It's not a tumor".

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/15547664

No... it can't (shouldn't). The Bose AM interconnects go from the speaker level outputs of the amp/receiver with a proprietary "umbilical" to the AM bass module. The cubes connect to the outputs of the module.

Wrong answer. It is actually a freestanding setup that can be used with any AVR. And there IS an LFE connection. The receiver's LFE output and speaker channel outs are merged by a dongle with a proprietary plug that is plugged into the bass unit. The speakers are then connected to the bass unit's speaker outs. All the speaker channels are supposed to be set to LARGE in the receiver. The bass module then does the bass managing.

http://products.bose.com/pdf/custome.../og_am6_10.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/15547664

Any LFE test tones are probably too low for the AM module (which BTW... is NOT a subwoofer) and can not be produced, even if the speaker management to is to "large".

I have no idea how low the subwoofer tones are on the disc the OP cited. Or whether they are actually encoded in the LFE channel. I suspect that if there is some sort of LFE sweep on the disc it will reach high enough for the bass unit to be able to reproduce it.

If the bass unit is totally silent with tones encoded in the speaker channels, then something is wrong. nasibvl, does the "sub" work when you put in a movie?

I'll be back.

·
Registered
22,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15547823

Wrong answer. It is actually a freestanding setup that can be used with any AVR. And there IS an LFE connection. The receiver's LFE output and speaker channel outs are merged by a dongle with a proprietary plug that is plugged into the bass unit. The speakers are then connected to the bass unit's speaker outs. All the speaker channels are supposed to be set to LARGE in the receiver. The bass module then does the bass managing.

Not completely WRONG. The ONLY thing I missed is that there is an LFE interconnect provided. All of my other statements were correct which were reiterated in your post. Bleh...

That AM module is not capable of reproducing anything close to "low frequency" that's audible, let alone room shaking.

Also something to ponder...

I'm sure the bass module doesn't do a very good job at converting a line level signal for power/reproduction of LFE.

Just get a "real" standalone subwoofer IMO.

EDIT:

An afterthought/suggestion.

Assuming all is interconnected properly (not shorts and correct polarity) and the capabilities of the A/V receiver, I'd try the following:

Speakers = all set to "large"

subwoofer/LFE = ON/Yes

Set A/V receiver's x-over to the highest setting (I.E. 100Hz)

Set bass/LFE levels on module to MAX.

Try a "sweep" and you should hear something from the module.

If nothing is heard from the bass module... you have a bad bass module.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/15552733

Not completely WRONG. The ONLY thing I missed is that there is an LFE interconnect provided. All of my other statements were correct which were reiterated in your post. Bleh...

That AM module is not capable of reproducing anything close to "low frequency" that's audible, let alone room shaking.

Also something to ponder...

I'm sure the bass module doesn't do a very good job at converting a line level signal for power/reproduction of LFE.

Just get a "real" standalone subwoofer IMO.

EDIT:

An afterthought/suggestion.

Assuming all is interconnected properly (not shorts and correct polarity) and the capabilities of the A/V receiver, I'd try the following:

Speakers = all set to "large"

subwoofer/LFE = ON/Yes

Set A/V receiver's x-over to the highest setting (I.E. 100Hz)

Set bass/LFE levels on module to MAX.

Try a "sweep" and you should hear something from the module.

If nothing is heard from the bass module... you have a bad bass module.

Aaaah....

Seriously i am mighty pissed with Bose right about now. Now I know why they came out with a manual for Acoustimass 6 and 10 together, because they wanted to hide the fact that the "6" does not handle LFE.

Neither do i have a connection in the module for "LFE", nor is there a seperate control know for bass and LFE and thats the way acoustimass 6 is. In the manual i have it is specifically stated that the speakers have to be set to LARGE and the subwoofer has to be set to "off".

Darn it....if I only i knew about bose 6 years back, wouldnt have spent a fortune on those B%%^%^

·
Registered
22,829 Posts
There are always "real" subwoofers.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts

Quote:
That AM module is not capable of reproducing anything close to "low frequency" that's audible

I disagree. I've set these up before and 20Hz test tones are audible... _very_ weak output levels and more of a low distortion but it is obvious that signal is reaching the driver. It's similar sounding to 10Hz being played back on a typical consumer subwoofer. If the OP is truly hearing absolute silence then there is a setup/connection issue that needs to be resolved.

·
Registered
22,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R /forum/post/15574112

I disagree. I've set these up before and 20Hz test tones are audible... _very_ weak output levels and more of a low distortion but it is obvious that signal is reaching the driver.

Okay...

Then I should say not usable, desirable, considerable to be used as a "subwoofer" or LFE speaker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R /forum/post/15574112

I disagree. I've set these up before and 20Hz test tones are audible... _very_ weak output levels and more of a low distortion but it is obvious that signal is reaching the driver. It's similar sounding to 10Hz being played back on a typical consumer subwoofer. If the OP is truly hearing absolute silence then there is a setup/connection issue that needs to be resolved.

Greg,

Are u sure it was acoustimass 6 module ?

If so, do you remember seeing a LFE input ? Right now I dont have a LFE input nor a LFE control knob.

Look at this manual, do you guys see a LFE input !!!!?

http://products.bose.com/pdf/custome...m6ii_guide.pdf

·
Registered
22,829 Posts
No it doesn't...

the PDF/manual referenced above (that has LFE) is AM6/10 Series III. You have a AM6 Series II.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/15574730

No it doesn't...

the PDF/manual referenced above (that has LFE) is AM6/10 Series III. You have a AM6 Series II.

All these years I have been watching movies without the LFE !!!
now where is the nooze !!!!Gotta hang myself for this....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe that the problem you are having may be due to improper phasing of the sub module. I once bought a band-pass sub module of another brand at a yard sale for $5.00. After getting it home i discovered why it went so cheap. The sub module used two drivers that were out of phase to each other. One driver was moving in while the other was moving out, canceling each other out. Someone must have replaced one of the drivers and wired it wrong. Once i switched the wires so that the drivers were working together i was able to rattle the windows in the house. It appears that the sub module of the am 6II is a non powered bandpass design, if so if the phasing is wrong, there will be little or no output. At any rate, if it is a non powered sub there will not be an lfe connection, rather the sub module will be powered by the avr. Please check the phasing and let me know if this works. By the way i don't believe that the bose cube arrays should be powered directly by a receiver. I believe that the sub module contains cross overs to send only high frequencies to the cube arrays.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts