AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have seen I will get blasted for this, but its my opinion..

I just heard an acoustimass system last night and really liked it. I compared it to everything else in the store and this impressed me the most.

I can pickup a NEW Acoustimass 600 set for $400.

I am new to the home theater arena and just got a big 100" projector and screen.

Now Im bulding a HTPC and need an amp and speakers.

Because I like the system and its cheap, before I make the purchase, can anyone suggest something else in the $400 or less range? (5 speakers and a sub). If so, I will look into it before I make the purchase.

I can always upgrade later, but dont want to dump $1000 and up into speakers if I cant personally tell a big difference.

Plus, I need to stay in a budget for now. Later I will probably upgrade everything I own as I go along. But I thoink for the price, it will be a great starter unit.

Also, can someone suggest an inexpensive receiver to go along. I will use the HTPC for just about everything, so I only need the until to amplify the speakers, dont care about much more then that.

I saw a Panasonic in FRYS electronics for $150 and it seemed to be fine, but I know NOTHING about receivers.

Thanks ahead

·
Banned
172 Posts
Like everyone else is saying, if you are willing to spend a little more, the Onkyo package is worth a try.

The entry level Polk package might also be a good alternative. I once compared the Polk package alongside one of the high end Bose packages. The Polk package gave a warmer, overall richer sound, and gave the impression of a more substantial presence than Bose.

Since you are already spending so much on video equipment, I think something more substantial than Bose will serve you better in the long run.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I can't seem to find the Polk homepage. Anyway, the one I heard is one of their entry level HT packages. You should be able to find it in most stores.

When you come to think of it, to get rich, full range sound, you really need drivers bigger than the ones found in Bose satellites. No matter how much the Bose subwoofer might compensate for the lack of even midbass from the small satellite drivers, there is just no getting around the problem. You need some bigger midrange drivers in the satellites.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It might sound a little funny at first but I would get a Klipsch Promedia "computer" 5.1 package before I got Bose. You get bigger drivers, a much better performing sub (~flat to 29Hz), and cut throat prices that you enjoy from any computer paraphernalia...

I used my two 4.1 sets for a while when I was first getting things going and I can attest to their good bang for buck. They looked quite cool without the grills also. I ran the speakers through my AVR8000 and sent the LFE to the subs and I was quite happy with it!

I am now using NHT Superzeros, which at the latest blowout was a steal, the quality of build is impressive for the price. My next jump will be to some good DIY MTM's (not of my own design, crossovers are a black art).

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fourseasons
Like everyone else is saying, if you are willing to spend a little more, the Onkyo package is worth a try.

The entry level Polk package might also be a good alternative. I once compared the Polk package alongside one of the high end Bose packages. The Polk package gave a warmer, overall richer sound, and gave the impression of a more substantial presence than Bose.

Since you are already spending so much on video equipment, I think something more substantial than Bose will serve you better in the long run.
Excuse me, but I think you mentioned Bose and high end in the same sentence. That is simply not possible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK... after tonight Im a bit pissed off..

I just bought some Polk Audio speakers. Some tower3 0's for $149. I know the price is excellent for what I got. They are brand new in boxes. But Ill admit Im pissed off at all these BOSE haters. Once AGAIN, I listened to the acoustimas 15 next to a bunch of Polk speakers and I feel like Im making the wrong decision....

So everyone says DR BOSE is smart because he "Makes it sound" like they are good speakers. So who gives a crap if speakers look good on a meter if they dont sound good? maybe BOSE speakers look awful on a meter, but isnt what sounds good what is important?

I have been a musician for over 10 years now playing to live crowds. I have played to crowds of over 15,000 people at once.

Those people listened to my music on a spiritual level. They didnt give a crap what a computer told them what was good. They care what they feel in their ears and in their souls.

So tell me, if BOSE speakers are so over-priced, why does everone who own them love them? Not you! I mean everyone who listens because uit touches them on a different level.

It is more than advertising. I listened tonight to both a $8000 system with some funky a** setup I cant even pronounce and a Acoustimass 15 system.

The $8000 setup was very nice. The speakers looked like they were from Star Trek and it would go very nice in some rich guy's house. But it was not a $7000 difference between the BOSE setup. Not even close.

The differences were MINUTE.

And I feel stupid for buying the POLK speakers just because everyone here said they are better than BOSE.

I believe most music and sound heard is in the heart and soul. It cant be defined with a meter or software.

I think people in these forums need to look on a different level. Money and looks and the best isnt everything.

Some of the best never go anywhere because they dont appeal to the mass....

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Why are you buying the Polks then, I dont understand? Bring them back, get the Bose ...Ive never heard a low-end Polk I liked either, haha. Theres a bunch of opinionated boobs on this board, and im one of them, but you can be the opinionated Bose guy on the board, we need one :) Obviously they sell a ton of speakers and so they must be doing something right. Tell us why the Bose paper cones are actually superior because of their lightness and high rigidity compared to our fancy overpriced aluminum speakers :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
well cept a 200 dollar setup beats the crap out of a set Bose sepeakers..

You can't even do 2 channel music on those.. YOU CANNOT. and the Subwoofer.. it's just 3x 5 inch drivers or something.. no matter how good an amp you can have.. you're not gonna be able to make the 5 incher go low.

much less have a tight bass.

the mid range driver's 2 inches... err k... it's 1000usd for the 'cheapest' acoustimas module.. for that price.. you can get some way way better than what the bose can do. to be fair.. i'd even throw in an AV receiver and a sub on the budget.

Oh yeah.. and perform great even with just 2 ch.

And yea.. as a musician.. wouldn't you strive for 'accurate musical reproduction' more than anywthing?

They make people think it's new technology. New and AMAZING technology.. which easily borders blatant lying.

·
Registered
859 Posts
and people who's owned them loves hem because they do not know that speakers that are better than Bose exists... They THINK they're gettig the best of what money can buy as far as music reproduction goes.

I was almost gettng a Lifestyle system myself.. about 3 to 4 k or something. And i thought that for the sound it does, it's way way worth it.. LoL.. was I wrong.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Uhm...

Was the environment in which you listened to the Bose system and the other system controlled?

Were you using well mixed and recorded CD's of music you enjoyed and were familiar with? What processing was being done? Were the setups side by side? Did you control the equalization and volume? Were the volumes between the two systems matched? Was it in a relaxed, quiet atmosphere?

btw, here are some links... they are VERY good reading!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.htm

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Gluegun hit it right on. Bose sets up their listening area and the cd/dvd you hear. Take you own music/dvd and listen to it. Listen to something with lots of bass like LOTR or Star Wars Attack of the Clones. Also, go to a good hi-fi shop not a BB/CC and listen there with your favorite music. As a musician you should be able to tell what real hi-fi sounds like and shop for something that pleases your ears where ever you want.

The other part of Bose's success besides marketing is size. People(wives especially) don't want big box speakers in their decor. As for getting Bose to upgrade later(which to me says you can tell a difference and are letting your wallet lead on this decision). Bose is a great choice. So many people love Bose, that they sell for close to full price on ebay.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Three under 500 suggestions for you:

1) Energy Take 5 (retail 500, under 300 used on ebay).

2) 5 NHT superzeros (retail ~ 140 each, 50-70 used on ebay/audiogon or new at onecall.com if they still have some).

3) 5 Paradigm Atoms

Powered subs under 200 are easy to find (locally).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Some food for thought: Your crossover for the sub will probably (hopefully) be 80Hz now what this does is make your satellites handle everything above it and a little below even, depending on the slope of the crossover. It is very hard for a small speaker cone to create these frequencies. Bose uses 2 1/2" speakers in it's satellites... Truthfully the smallest speaker you would want to have with an 80 Hz crossover would be about 5". YMMV but probably not due to the physics of it all. And the design of the woofer... A good sub will be cheaper. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aztechjohn
OK... after tonight Im a bit pissed off..

I just bought some Polk Audio speakers. Some tower3 0's for $149. I know the price is excellent for what I got. They are brand new in boxes. But Ill admit Im pissed off at all these BOSE haters. Once AGAIN, I listened to the acoustimas 15 next to a bunch of Polk speakers and I feel like Im making the wrong decision....

So everyone says DR BOSE is smart because he "Makes it sound" like they are good speakers. So who gives a crap if speakers look good on a meter if they dont sound good? maybe BOSE speakers look awful on a meter, but isnt what sounds good what is important?

I have been a musician for over 10 years now playing to live crowds. I have played to crowds of over 15,000 people at once.

Those people listened to my music on a spiritual level. They didnt give a crap what a computer told them what was good. They care what they feel in their ears and in their souls.

So tell me, if BOSE speakers are so over-priced, why does everone who own them love them? Not you! I mean everyone who listens because uit touches them on a different level.

It is more than advertising. I listened tonight to both a $8000 system with some funky a** setup I cant even pronounce and a Acoustimass 15 system.

The $8000 setup was very nice. The speakers looked like they were from Star Trek and it would go very nice in some rich guy's house. But it was not a $7000 difference between the BOSE setup. Not even close.

The differences were MINUTE.

And I feel stupid for buying the POLK speakers just because everyone here said they are better than BOSE.

I believe most music and sound heard is in the heart and soul. It cant be defined with a meter or software.

I think people in these forums need to look on a different level. Money and looks and the best isnt everything.

Some of the best never go anywhere because they dont appeal to the mass....
umm not for anything but why BUY the polks if you do not like the sound. Screw what everyone says. It is YOU that has to live with those speakers. If you want BOSE. BUY THEM. Or do you also jump off bridges when someone tells you to do that too? :confused: Forget all these people here and make YOUR OWN DECISION!!! :p

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got about 40% off of the speakers and the sale ended last night, so I went with the Polks.

I could turn around and make a pretty good profit if I decide to get rid of them. The money isnt a big factor.

I guess Im looking at getting into this whole thing as a hobby and possibly a 2nd income.

That will be hard to do if I am trying to sell someone a product based on what sounds good to ME...

Last night I was very tired and shouldnt have been posting :(

·
Registered
840 Posts
Like others have already said...if you like the way the Bose sound by all means go for it!

Everyone's tastes are different...However, you must understand that you are posting on a Home Theater forum. MOST of us have been into this a while and do this as a hobby etc......therefore you'll get a lot of responses directing you toward better set ups than your average entry level satellite/sub package or home theater in a box. People aren't trying to slam your descision...they are actually trying to direct you into some better speakers for your hard earned cash. MOST guys here will agree that Bose systems are VERY overpirced for what you get and the build quality isn't up to par with other speakers in the same price level....thus you'll get a lot of people telling you to look elsewhere. You shouldn't take it so personal.

By the way...the people who are advising against Bose aren't making up lies about the product. They really are not worth the money being asked for them...take a look at the price tag and take a good look at the build quality and durability etc. and ask yourself if they are really worth the money? They may sound decent in the right environment but bottom line is you can do much better in terms of quality for the $$$$......that being said if YOU like them....then go for it! We aren't going to come to your house and yell at you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.