Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am trying to build a budget music / HT setup for a small apartment. I have a 10 year old Bose Acoutimass 5 (2 satellites and a sub) system that I do not want to throw away (please spare the Bose-bashing). So I thought of using them as rear surrounds. But I heard that connecting the Bose satellites directly to a third party amp will blow out these speakers because the frequency response for these modules is 200+hz. My receiver will be the Onkyo TX-SR600 which has sub crossover for 80/100/120 hz.

So alternatively I was thinking of connecting the Bose sub to the rear surround channels, and connecting the satellites to the sub. My assumption is that the sub unit will adjust the frequency response and isolate Left Surround and Right Surround channels--just as it does in a stereo setup. Will this work?

So here is my contemplated setup:

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR600 ($420)

Towers: Infinity Interlude 30 ($275)

Center: Infinity Entra Center or Bose VCS-10 ($180)

Sub: Something cheap

Surrounds: Bose Acoustimass 5 (with sub to "host" satellites)

Please feel free to comment on price/merchants or selection as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is not meant to be a Bose bash...but seriously...ebay the Bose and pickup a set of voice/timbre matched sats/center and a sub.

I think you would be happy with the Energy Take 5.2 and 8.2 sub. The Bose is really, really bad...there is a reason they get bashed.

Receiver looks good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exsilio,

Thanks for the advice. The main use for the system will be music (stereo, or maybe at times 5 channel stereo mode). The center and rears probably won't matter that much. Do you still think the Take 5.2 setup will be better than the Infinity Interlude 30s for music purpose?

The best deal I've found for the Take 5.2 / 8.2 sub is around $700 including shipping. Is there a better deal out there? Or a local store (I live in NYC)?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
jovenis:

It will work fine. I have:

Paradigm Studio 40's FL FR

Paradigm Cinema CC

Bose AM-10's SR,SBR,SL,SBL

Definitive Sub.

This works fine. the wiring is a little extra complicated by the passive Bose sub but it works. The Bose also mee my wifey's definition of out of sight out of mind. They sound very good on the rears and your Onkyo 600 will work great with them.

Now, if you can afford it upgrade because there is better but, the Bose for the purpose your talking about will work better than you'd expect.

Bose are way overpriced for the money but now that you have them I wouldn't just chuck 'em. That do provide good sound. NOT GREAT but still passable. Just don't buy anymore - I was sucked in too.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.