AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody, my first post here.

i'm looking for a new setup and want to avoid Bose CineMate® 220 or Lifestyle® 235 Series III if possible as i know sound quality vs money is far from best with Bose, but unfortunately i don't see many alternatives considering my setup/ needs. would appreciate any ideas.

Gear to connect:
-Sony KDL-47W805A (has 4 HDMI one ARC and I think optical audio pass-through )
-Apple TV
-DVD, HDMI and digital coax
-Cable box – HDMI and optical audio
-iMac – display port to HDMI or other

My objectives:
-best possible sound for movies in 2, 2.1, 3 or max 3.1 configuration - not possible to connect rear speakers.
-as good as possible music quality considering my limitation
-easy to use for streaming music from iPhone, mac or similar
-easy to switch sources and as less as possible remote controls
-aesthetics factor very important for me, prefer to have well designed pieces and if possible all gear hidden or part of gear hidden

layout and difficulties:
-speakers can be only on book shelf above or left and right of the TV and 1.8m high
-bass module, wireless can put anywhere and wired only hidden next to TV
-shelf depth 32cm and for receiver can be about 28-30cm max as need space for connections at the back
-shelf heights 28cm
-room size about 4m x 7m x 2.8high, wood floor no rugs, very minimalistic design so not too many surfaces to absorb sound

Looked at following equipment:
-Bose CineMate® 220 + sound touch
-Bose Lifestyle® 235 Series III
-NAD 7050 – not sure about speakers and whole setup
-B&O Beolab 17, not sure about receiver and setup
-Orb audio speakers, not sure is the are better than Bose as size about same

Bose is simplest and easiest out of box solution , connect all sources to Bose console via HDMI and console to TV and all working with one remove and I can stream music via sound touch.
But are there a better options, Bose is about 1500usd and 3500usd and B&O speakers only 3000USD so budget about 5000USD but if there is much better option can be more.

Thanks a lot for help, appreciate any ideas/ thought
Sandor

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Suwoofer cannot be wireless as you require a power cable. So since you need a power cable what's the big deal with a single RCA-RCA cable from avr to sub?

There are many sub sat systems, literally hundreds. Kef, Monitor Audio, Tannoy, Focal, Anthony Gallo, Monitor Audio, B&W

"-best possible sound for movies in 2, 2.1, 3 or max 3.1 configuration "

You won't get that with satellite speakers. You require larger speakers. That is a large roopm so little speakers will sound lost. And you need to get rugs, if you're not bothered in getting rugs then I wouldn't spend a lot of money on speakers, as whatever system you get will sound bad if you don't spend some time on the room...it'll be like a bathroom.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I would go with something like this if you want smaller speakers and is easy to integrate into your system without adding remotes.
http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=system-powered/model=milleniaone-ct/page=overview

With larger speakers I would go with powered speakers and a sub you can control from the audio output of your TV, so you would use your TV for your connections and your volume would be controlled by the TV's remote. Many models available at various price ranges.

I don't see any reason in your situation to add a receiver and complicate the system.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy bose.. they use flashy marketing terms and proprietary hardware/speakers. They are a marketing company.. buy speakers from a speaker company. For that kind of budget, you can get some very nice equipment, so don't get sucked in by the flashy bose marketing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would go with something like this if you want smaller speakers and is easy to integrate into your system without adding remotes.
paradigm.com/products-current/type=system-powered/model=milleniaone-ct

With larger speakers I would go with powered speakers and a sub you can control from the audio output of your TV, so you would use your TV for your connections and your volume would be controlled by the TV's remote. Many models available at various price ranges.

I don't see any reason in your situation to add a receiver and complicate the system.

Thanks for advise, looks very interesting and exactly what i'm looking for, i still miss BT and or WIFI connectivity to stream from mobile devises. anything you can recommend?
thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
My 2 year old system is KEF e305's and a Sony 1800ES. The Sony does airplay and Bluetooth and dlna music. You need the 2800 to get video support.

Likely get a newer model AVR today but that one is great.

Would not change the speakers.
It's all controlled by Control4 and their remote seamlessly. Many other universal remote solutions also exist but the IP control of most devices makes it a really clean install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't get hung up on Bluetooth capability and focus more on sound quality because there are many Bluetooth adapters/ receivers you could use and just connect it to the units other input. Here are some.

thanks Ellebob.
by the way what do u think of Soundscape from Paradigm, perhaps that's even better in my case, no receiver and no need for a sub.
or ASB-2 from Monitor Audio

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
The soundscape is very nice but I would still recommend a sub with it, as I would any small speakers or sound bars. I am personally not as fond of sound bars in general especially if music listening is a priority. They don't defy physics and with their woofers and tweeters only a few feet apart you can't get as good of soundstage or imaging that you can with nice stereo speakers placed a little further apart. Sound bars have their place in aesthetics and providing better sound than the TV but they don't beat a good speaker system.

I haven't heard the Monitor Audio ASB-2 but Monitor Audio makes nice stuff and I am sure it is competitive in the sound bar market. I would also recommend a sub with it, smaller drivers just can't give as full of a sound as a subwoofer. Again, I would recommend a sub with any of these sound bars or small speakers

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You could also consider doing this with Sonos speakers and sub. You could play 3 the center left and right and with wireless add play 1 rears and a play sub.
Cost a bit but not compared to Bose.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
You can't do that with the Sonos for a 5.1 system. You can do it if you use the Playbar sound bar for the left, center and right speakers but you can't use their Play (1,3,5) for the left, center or right. You can do a 2.1 system with 2 speakers and a sub but I wouldn't recommend it as the Sonos components don't have a digital input and when you use the analog input it adds a noticeable delay which causes lip sync issues with the picture. The Playbar is the only component you don't get this delay with its optical input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The soundscape is very nice but I would still recommend a sub with it, as I would any small speakers or sound bars. I am personally not as fond of sound bars in general especially if music listening is a priority. They don't defy physics and with their woofers and tweeters only a few feet apart you can't get as good of soundstage or imaging that you can with nice stereo speakers placed a little further apart. Sound bars have their place in aesthetics and providing better sound than the TV but they don't beat a good speaker system.

I haven't heard the Monitor Audio ASB-2 but Monitor Audio makes nice stuff and I am sure it is competitive in the sound bar market. I would also recommend a sub with it, smaller drivers just can't give as full of a sound as a subwoofer. Again, I would recommend a sub with any of these sound bars or small speakers

thank you Ellebob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts