AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an interesting article on Bose at Brandchannel.com -- http://www.brandchannel.com/features_profile.asp?id=105 , or go to the main URL and type "Bose" in the search engine. The article is titled "Bose: Breaking the Sound Barrier".

Quoting from the introduction:

To those who listen for the little nuances, however, stereo quality is an

important issue. That's where a brand like Bose steps in. Hoping to

appeal to audiophiles around the world, the Bose name on a stereo aims

to assure buyers that they will hear crystal-clear harmonies, throaty bass,

and the entire range of sounds in between.

I missed this on the first pass, but toward the bottom is another, very telling, comment:

Other companies, including Sony, Samsung and Pioneer, have tapped into

Bose's market with their greater attention to quality and innovation.

Smaller competitors, like Cambridge SoundWorks, who may not have the

money to compete on a sales and marketing level, are instead putting

their resources and energy into creating a much better actual product ...

A very interesting read -- at least, it has a certain car-crash appeal. It *is* marketing, after all, and it may be one of the most important things people shop for.

·
Banned
172 Posts
It's rare for an article to simultaneously criticize and praise Bose at the same time, and be honest about what makes Bose successfully, and actually admit that other companies actually make a better product.

Bose's golden days are numbered (but I wouldn't be dumping my Bose stock anytime soon...)

·
Banned
172 Posts
Although it is not always the most innovative, or even the best product that survives the marketing wars to dominate the market.

Microsoft is the prime example. Windows crashes all the time, it is a truly horrible horrible horrible OS, until Windows 2000 came out (though the newest XP is still full of patch holes).

Go figure, nothing in the world makes any sense.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Fourseasons
Bose's golden days are numbered (but I wouldn't be dumping my Bose stock anytime soon...)
You don't actually... do you???

I felt like I had whiplash after reading the article -- that and a really, really strong compulsion to take a long hot shower. The author sounds like a little BoseBot and seems to completely 'buy' all of the Bose marketing about its audio triumphs. Then, toward the bottom of the article, he calls the consumers' knoweldge of other speakers ("about the genuine quality of a product") to be a "threat" to Bose. "Bose competes by overwhelming these smaller competitors with advertising and marketing..." indeed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.