AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a townhouse that has an old (1998) Bose Lifestyle system installed, mounted and wired into the walls in the media room. The room is small (12x12) and will be used mostly for TV/movies/Xbox with a 50 in Pioneer plasma, but will occasionally be used for music (Pandora, Xbox, smartphone etc.). It also has an adjacent rooftop deck that would benefit from some exterior expansion speakers in the future.

Note to Bose-bashers: I get it. It's a crappy system, but here's why I'm getting one. 1) Bose is giving me a new system for half-price via trade-in. 2) I'm not a audio-geek and don't really care about dynamic range and epic bass. 3) The mounts and cables are already in place and I want to use them. 4) The small, wall mounted speakers are a big plus for the room. So, with that out of the way can we focus on helping me pick the best of these options?

Which solution should I pick?

A) Bose Lifestyle V35 with Jewel Cubes

B) Bose Lifestyle V25 with Doubleshots

C) Bose Lifestyle T20 with Doubleshots

D) Bose Acoustimass 10 system connected to a Marantz NR1504 receiver

Some straightforward questions:

Is there a marked difference between the Jewel Cube speakers in the V35 and the Direct/Reflecting "Doubleshot" speakers in the other options?

Is the V-class system's control console work upgrading to over the T-class console?

Does the control console add any value specifically to the Acoustimass system that a standard receiver wouldn't?

What is it like to use a Bose control console versus a standard mid-range receiver?

What does the V25 do that the T20 doesn't?

Any other Bose options I should be investigating based on my previous constraints?

Obviously each of these options has a different price point even with the big discount. My main worry is that I will buy something that boxes me in down the road making it harder to add/control those exterior expansion speakers or use internet based music players. Buying the Marantz system will be he most familiar but I'll end up with 2 amps and probably wouldn't gain much from it's higher-end guts being passed through the Acoustimass. The Bose Console seems like a colossal waste of money and it's value prop is pretty unclear to me, but in this system it's possible that there's quite a bit of proprietary voodoo happening in there that would be lost by going with another brands receiver.

Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping there are some folks around here that have some hands-on experience with Bose systems that can help.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Sorry you won't find much love here. Honestly even tho you are getting the bose system for half price that's still like 4 times more than what its really worth. If you could by that system for $300 I'd say yeah sure go for it. But there are other small/tiny speaker options out there that will sound better and still be cheaper than the bose at half price.

FWIW I paid just over $2500 for the audio part of my system which is how much that bose v25 system lists for. My system is a 7.2 system with tower fronts with dual 8" woofers and a center with dual 8" woofers and surrounds with 6.5" woofers and all speakers have a 1" aluminum dome horn loaded tweeter. My subs are 12" subs with a 350 watt rms continuous amp and the subs can play easily down to 18hz. My reciever is 7.2 THX certified and 135W per channel w/ 2 ch driven with auto room correction eq software.

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you are absolutely set on using a Bose system just get whatever the cheapest one is because they all sounds pretty much the same. They haven't made any worthwhile upgrades to their speakers in years. Their jewel cubes are really not much of an upgrade at all and definitely not worth the price difference IMHO.

That being said, here are some small speakers that will be significantly cheaper than even your upgrade cost and I think sound significantly better. It's the Energy Take Classic that is one sale again for 50% off at $299.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269024

These plus the Marantz receiver would be my suggestion if you decide away from bose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts