AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am wondering if getting Companion 5's is worth it quality/price wise at $200. I am not an audiophile and do not know much about speakers. If anyone care to divulge on why bose is bad/good that would be great. So the question is , is there a better set of speakers for $200?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't know, Bose tends to sound bad, really bad. I think it's largely due to their intentional manipulation of frequency response and use of excessive distortion. Still, in this case the packaging is nice so if all you want is some noise and don't care much about SQ then this might be alright for a couple hundred bucks. You could definitely get better sound with DIY for $200 but you would not have the neat package this Bose offers.

Monte

·
Registered
21,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehillisill /forum/post/14155177

Hi, I am wondering if getting Companion 5's is worth it quality/price wise at $200. I am not an audiophile and do not know much about speakers. If anyone care to divulge on why bose is bad/good that would be great. So the question is , is there a better set of speakers for $200?

Thanks.

is this what we are talking about? if so, looks like $10 worth of speakers to me.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehillisill /forum/post/14155177

Thanks.

Even at $200 I think you can do better. Try these guys.

Especially this one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, the speakers in the pictures are what I'm referring to. The Cambridge SoundWorks, is there somewhere I can test them out?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Thehillisill, not sure if you are aware of it but BOSE is HATED around here so replies might not help you at all, instead they will just be more HATE posts.

At some price point any product becomes "worth it", I dont know if that is true for these but if people are going to post HATE against BOSE I would hope they help you find an alternative.

Cambridge soundworks has some great stuff and even Klipsch PC based speakers are pretty good in my books.

No matter what its all subjective and none of this stuff is going to be awesome.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehillisill /forum/post/14157931

Yea, the speakers in the pictures are what I'm referring to. The Cambridge SoundWorks, is there somewhere I can test them out?

I think they have a showroom, but it's probably in Cambridge Massachusetts. Not sure if that does you any good. Nope, scratch that....website says they closed it.

At any rate: According to their website, they have a 45 day return policy and free shipping over $75. You'll have to pay return shipping though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 at bestbuy for 158.99..... Best speakers i ever bought for my computer (I tried like a lot of 2.1 speakers for my computer, and finally settle down with these for over a year now)...couple it with a reasonable sound card and you guy a lean mean music/movie machine!!!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384267922

Read the reviews !!! they are Legendary!!!

NOTE: Make sure your neighbours are COOL people, and your wall hangings are stuck on the wall properly !!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1 on the Audioengine A2s.

The Bose are actually decent sounding and very stylish, but the sound quality of the A2s are amongst the best I've heard for the size. They're not bad looking either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts