AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my acoustimass15 bass module packed up recently and i do not want to spend the money on an entire new system. Therefore i am planning to buy a used acoustimass module from ebay. can i buy any acoustimass bass unit or do i have to buy the am15 module? i see the non powered 5 or 7 modules available cheap but concerned that those are passive subwoofers and might not work with my cubes? also, then I want to add a quality sub, can i do that in conjunction with the bose? i see a great deal on the martin logan subwoofers on amazon.

my apologies for asking a bose question. Excellent forum and i wish if i had consulted the forum 8 years ago.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
as i understand it, those bose cubes are crossover over very high to the "bass module"

you should have the bass module in the system and then add another subwoofer to the whole bose system probably crossed to the new sub around 80hz

as far as the series 5 or 7 bass module working with series 15 cubes i'm not really sure but if i had to guess i'd say they should work together

i've seen those bose bass modules go for 20-40 bucks on ebay but you will need to have it between your new sub and the cubes to handle the mid and upper bass

and you will want to add a quality sub to the bose bass module because those things can barely dip into the high 30hz range

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirn98 /forum/post/16942412

my acoustimass15 bass module packed up recently and i do not want to spend the money on an entire new system. Therefore i am planning to buy a used acoustimass module from ebay. can i buy any acoustimass bass unit or do i have to buy the am15 module? i see the non powered 5 or 7 modules available cheap but concerned that those are passive subwoofers and might not work with my cubes? also, then I want to add a quality sub, can i do that in conjunction with the bose? i see a great deal on the martin logan subwoofers on amazon.

my apologies for asking a bose question. Excellent forum and i wish if i had consulted the forum 8 years ago.

I'd suggest calling Bose on what bass modules are compatible and then work out the ebay purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good advice, i called bose and they said: best to buy another acoustimass15 module, but others that are compatible are am16 and am10. would need new speaker input/ output wires if using am10 or 16.

unfortunately the lifestyle series are not compatible and the am cubes and the am5/7 have 3 cubes only.

the way to attach an extra subwoofer is to use a splitter for the lfe/ subwoofer and attach the acoustimass bass module and the additional subwoofer. unfortunately the am bass module is required and needs to be connected to the lfe/ subwoofer out because of reasons mentioned before; proprietary bose cross-over frequencies in the acoustimass module.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Not trying to kid around or flame here, just some straight talk. You should consider selling your entire bose setup and get a real system. You can get better sound than bose with a $500 onkyo htib. No joke. If you can spring that budget go that route. If more there are a ton more options.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/16950084

not trying to kid around or flame here, just some straight talk. You should consider selling your entire bose setup and get a real system. You can get better sound than bose with a $500 onkyo htib. No joke. If you can spring that budget go that route. If more there are a ton more options.

+1

·
Registered
742 Posts
Not meant to be rude, but your system is a well hyped, mass marketed system that has dooped many a person over the years. Bose puts more money and effort into great marketing and sales tactics than research and development by a country wide mile.

$500 for a crappy wave boom box...makes me cringe...$1800 for a super cube system....LMAO.

Sell it if you can and move on to something worth your hard earned dollars.

Rant Over.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirn98 /forum/post/16949269

good advice, i called bose and they said: best to buy another acoustimass15 module, but others that are compatible are am16 and am10. would need new speaker input/ output wires if using am10 or 16.

unfortunately the lifestyle series are not compatible and the am cubes and the am5/7 have 3 cubes only.

the way to attach an extra subwoofer is to use a splitter for the lfe/ subwoofer and attach the acoustimass bass module and the additional subwoofer. unfortunately the am bass module is required and needs to be connected to the lfe/ subwoofer out because of reasons mentioned before; proprietary bose cross-over frequencies in the acoustimass module.

you wont want to do that. just hook up the bose speakers and bass module like another speakers and let the new better sub handle the LFE and cross the bose speakers and bass module at 80hz

set up like that, the bose bass module and bose cubes will be handling everything from 80hz up and the new sub will be handling everything from 80hz down

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i sent my non-working acoustimass unit back to bose for repairs--flat charge$150 repair and they sent me a new acoustimass series ii within one week by mail. not bad, given that my bose system is >8 years old, so this was the cheapest option. while my next system is unlikely to be bose, (diy speakers plus velodyne sub) i have to tip my hat to their customer service.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'd call Bose and see what sub modules you can use. Then, look at prices on ebay, craigslist, etc. Then, come back here and tell us what prices they are going for. Chances are, if the modules are going for about $300+, you can easy get a system that will outperform the entire Bose system (Energy Take Classic 5.0 + Dayton/TSC Sub goes for about $300).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/17056084

As a P.S., I just sold my Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II system of almost 10 years for $425. I almost felt bad for the guy I sold it to....but then I saw the $$$...

I would imagine Bose accounting has that smile on their face everyday.

I'm trying to imagine someone laying out 425 for that, just....wow

1 - 14 of 14 Posts