AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I am seeking for a bookshelf pair of speakers to match up with an old technics amplifier( only 50 hz
) . the system would be used for music and not much for films . I would like to know what would be the best choice between a pair of bose direct/reflecting 301 , bowers e wilkins 685 or klipsch RB-81. I'd like some perfoming bass also
I love techno! thanks very much!

p.s.: I MEANT THE KLIPSCH R 3800 , SORRY!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well definitly not the Bose.

The Klipsch has an 8" woofer which would normally proide more bass, but as it is an inwall there are certainly some limitations and sacrifices to make. Personally I would not use an inwall for music applications anyway. If you are putting holes in your walls to do inwall speakers then that is a pretty big commitment. You would want to be damn sure they were the right speakers for you and you.

The B&W claims to go down to 49hz with its 6 1/2" driver, which isn't bad. Even in the real world that would probably be around 70hz or so which is good enough for non serious listening. That would be my choice but I would definitly get a sub to go with it.

Naturally you would want to listen to them first (but not the Bose) but I am willing to bet that most people who listened to them would prefer the 685.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, btw sorry, I made an error , the klipsch that I meant where the RB-81 , not the R 3800. Anyway if someone had the occasion to listen to one of these speakers it would be great , because I am going to buy them directly on the internet , so it's like a blind choice ! I am counting on your opinions and suggestions
. Oh, and unfortunetly I can't afford at the moment a subwoofer , but in the future ... who knows! thanks anyway , bye!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ive listened to the 685s and they sound good for the price, they also get a lot of good reviews and are known as bang for the buck speakers. But i also prefer the B&W sound as they sound bright to me and thats what i like. I haven't heard the two other choices.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks , I only eanted to know a thing : is it really matters that the bew have a bass/mid cone of only 16,5 cm meanwhile the other two have a 20 cm bass cone?thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
well i own the CM1s which also have the same size driver and i'm pretty sure are designed similar the difference being the nicer cabinet. The don't put out a ton of bass - as a rule of thumb the bigger the driver the more bass, not 100% true though also depends on the cabinet. But they sound great for music but i wouldn't dream of using them without a subwoofer, they dont extend down far enough- the speaker does have excellent mids and highs.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenerino54 /forum/post/14279733

thanks , I only eanted to know a thing : is it really matters that the bew have a bass/mid cone of only 16,5 cm meanwhile the other two have a 20 cm bass cone?thanks

You can't decide on a speaker based upon its drivers sizes. The Klipsch probably has the lower bass response, but that is not by any means the only thing that is important in a speaker.

What is important is what sounds best to you. We can't decide on YOUR speaker. Listen, listen, listen. If the dealer will allow you take a pair home for an in-home ausition, this is definitely best.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
What is important is what sounds best to you. We can't decide on YOUR speaker. Listen, listen, listen. If the dealer will allow you take a pair home for an in-home ausition, this is definitely best.

Well said. I've got a few different setups in my home and, quite frankly, I like the sound of the BOSE 301s. I have them and think they sound great. Then again, I have Klipsch as well and they sound pretty darn sweet too. Different rooms, different receivers, different layouts. It's gonna depend on what YOU like.

I can promise you that if you keep reading these posts, you won't be happy with what you buy if you ever buy anything. Forget the reading and get out and listen to some speakers. Buy what sounds good to you and be happy with it!

·
Registered
383 Posts
My vote would be the 685. Why? because I bought them after a extensive audition of many speakers for about a year. But my suggestion to you is listen to them all before you buy only YOUR ears can decide.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Bose 301s are actually a pretty good choice. I'm willing to bet that your old Technics amplifier is not the world's greatest, and while the 301s aren't exactly hi-fi, they do a pretty good job of filling a room with sound. You can get a pair for under $70 on eBay.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarkmyers /forum/post/14279534

The B&W claims to go down to 49hz with its 6 1/2" driver, which isn't bad. Even in the real world that would probably be around 70hz or so

actually, it pretty much meets the low bass extension spec in real world

http://www.hometheatermag.com/compac...nk/index3.html
Quote:
This graph shows the quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) frequency response of the 685 L/R (purple trace), ASW608 subwoofer (blue trace), HTM62 center channel (green trace), and 686 surround (red trace). All passive loudspeakers were measured with grilles at a distance of 1 meter with a 2.83-volt input and scaled for display purposes.

The 685’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.08/–5.86 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3-dB point is at 53 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 44 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.52 ohms at 17.7 kHz and a phase angle of –60.13 degrees at 4.1 kHz.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts