AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping that someone out there is knowledgeable about Bose products. I was curious as to whether or not the HDMI connectors (at least one anyway) are ARC-enabled and got two conflicting answers when contacting Bose. 1 guy on the phone said yes and one on the chat line said no, now which is it I wonder?

Which makes me also wonder if they use HDMI 1.4. I assume they do because with a software update the 135 supports 3D Video.

There's a marked lack of detailed information on Bose's website.

Another question I had was how to utilise any of the audio out ports (Headphone or Bose Link) to connect to a PC audio or other non-Bose audio equipment. Their answer was a definite 'not possible', but reading old posts on various forums led me to believe that using a Bose Link to RCA adaptor, part number 285320-207 makes it possible after all. Try to find that part online is like looking for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I'm assuming it's still around as a New York City Bose authorised retailer has told me they have just ordered it. I didn't yet call Bose on this one considering the conflicting information already received, but I will when I decide to get the unit, if I get it.

Please no wisecracks about Bose...this is simply an enquiry asking for some knowhow and I realise this is a new soundbar but am hoping someone has one or sells them and can answer me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK found some answers from our local authorised dealer.

HDMI are high speed 1.4 but no ARC. Or so the dealer says...I hope he's right about the 1.4v.

That part number will allow audio-out to any other equipment.

I also found out that the software learns all the attached devices and as a result the remote can be used for everything, asssuming those devices are run via the 135 rather than directly to the TV.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing that isn't quite right there is my remark about that part number. Getting audio out to another non-Bose unit isn't as simple as merely connecting them. I got those answers from our local Bose dealership, so I then emailed Bose support.

There's quite a rigmarole to go through. In my case I wanted to know if I could connect the BoseLink outlet to my PC audio-in for recording purposes and a rather convoluted answer came back:

Quote:
The Boselink adapter is designed to connect to a non-Bose audio amplifier to provide sound in an additional room. You could use the Boselink adapter for recording purposes, but you would have to buy an RC35S2 remote control in order to turn the Boselink output on.

The set up for this is as follows:

Using the Bose Remote to Control Volume

Connect the antenna supplied with the RC35S2 remote to Homewide Antenna connector the back of the main room control console

Connect the Variable 9-pin DIN to Dual Male RCAs adapter (PC *034965) to the Bose link connection on the control console

Connect the Variable 9-pin DIN adapter to an available input on the external device

If you need a longer cable length, connect extension PN *137455 to the adapter

Be sure the external device is properly connected and powered

Part List

Part Number Description

*034965 7 Ft - Adapter Cable - Variable 9-pin DIN to Dual Male RCAs

*137455 50 Ft - Extension Cable - Dual RCAs

Connections: Fixed

Using the Destination's Volume Control

Connect the antenna supplied with the RC35S2 remote to Homewide Antenna connector the back of the main room control console

Connect the Fixed 9-pin DIN to Dual Male RCAs adapter (PN *285320-207) to the Bose link connection on the control console

Connect the Fixed 9-pin DIN adapter to an available input on the external device

If you need a longer cable length, connect extension PN *137455 to the adapter

Be sure the external device is properly connected and powered

Part List

Part Number Description

*285320-207 6 Ft - Adapter Cable - Fixed 9-pin DIN to Dual Male RCA - Quanity 1

*137455 50 Ft - Extension Cable - Dual RCAs

Remote Settings: RC35S2

Remove the battery cover from the back of the remote

Switches 1-4 determine the house code for the expansion room remote. They should not need to be changed as both the console and remote are set to House Code 15 (1, 2, 3 and 4 up) from the factory

Switch 5 can be left in either the up or down position. This switch does not have any function

Switches 6, 7 and 8 must be in the up position

Switch 9 must be in the down position

Replace the battery cover

Operational Notes: AV35

The expansion room is able play a source that is different from the main room

Expansion rooms can only be turned on by the expansion remote

The expansion product itself will need to be turned on manually

The expansion product will need to have the correct input selected manually

The expansion remote will control the volume of the signal to the expansion product

Pressing and holding the Power button on the control console or the main room remote will turn off the main room and the audio signal going to the expansion room(s). The expansion product will need to be turned off manually

Whenever another expansion product is turned on, this expansion product will receive the same audio signal. To avoid hearing what is played in other rooms, turn off this device (or change its input, if possible) when it is not in use

Playing main room sources through the expansion product

The expansion remote will have limited control of non-Bose devices connected in the main room, as long as the main room remote was configured to operate those non-Bose devices

Sources connected with just a digital audio connection (coax, optical or HDMI) will only be heard in the expansion room if the main room is on and playing the same source. Such sources should also be connected with analog RCA connections to the same input so that it can be heard in the expansion room regardless of the main room source selection

Whether the main room is on or off, there will be no indication on the control console that the expansion room is on

For information on how to access main room sources, see Selecting sources using the RC35S2 expansion remote

Multi Zone Considerations:

The Boselink Extension/Expansion Cable (PC *035930) can be used to connect four expansion products to the Bose®link OUT jack

All expansion products will receive the audio signal of the source selected with an expansion remote

If both Boselink and non-Boselink expansion products are connected to the system, a slight clicking sound may be heard through the non-Boselink expansion products

Boselink cables should not be connected to exceed 150 feet in length. Distances greater than 150 feet will significantly degrade the audio quality through the expansion products and it can also cause erratic operation

The Lifestyle Homewide system, SA2 and SA3 amplifiers can be configured to work in unison by setting them all to the same Room Code. Only one device can remain in the default primary/single amp mode (switch C down); All others devices with the same Room Code need to be set to the secondary/supplemental amp mode (switch C up)

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.

Barry

Product and Technical Support Team

-------------------------------------------------

Bose Corporation

US Telephone: (800)367-4008

International Tel: (508)766-1900

Email: http://www.bose.com/ContactUs

Telephone Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM-9:00PM, Sat 9:00AM-6:00PM (EST)

Now I have not attempted this yet so can't tell you if it works. In fact I posted elsewhere on these forums asking if anyone else had actually done it with the 135 or v35 systems (which are more or less the same)...no response.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way I should say I am very pleased with the system, it is excellent and I have everything running though the control unit - TV, Cable Box, Blu-Ray, CD Changer, Turntable (with the requisite mini pre-amp), Cassette Tape Deck (those last 2 via a source switch to share one input) and finally a DVD/VHS Recorder which just happened to have an HDMI output.

As my TV has built-in apps, Internet and 3D demos etc, I have a Toslink optical audio cable connecting back from TV to the control unit to provide the reverse audio that ARC otherwise would have provided.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hi Peter, yes the HDMI supports 1.4 and 3D also. You can use the 034965 part to connect to non Bose products out of the Boselink port but you will need A PMI III remote to operate that zone. The remote is pretty inexpensive though, not sure on what it costs in Canada though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, getting technical data for products out of Bose themselves is like pulling teeth. You mean the RC35S2 remote? It's around $100 north or south of the border. That's on the Internet of course, I haven't called Bose to find out their price.

·
Registered
986 Posts
No the RC35 remote is a different remote that also works with Boselink, the PMC III is a better remote that has an LCD display and gives realtime metadata from the Ipod and the tuner in the main system

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah - thanks. It appears new as I haven't seen that one before. $164.99 here.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if the PMC III comes with this antenna they talk about, that has to be attached to the control unit?

(Connect the antenna supplied with the RC35S2 remote to Homewide Antenna connector the back of the main room control console)

I also wonder what then is this 285320-207 'Bose Link' to RCA connector that I bought?

I'm afraid all these various part numbers for the cable connectors is getting me somewhat confused especially when they all look identical.

·
Registered
986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Brit /forum/post/21340647

I wonder if the PMC III comes with this antenna they talk about, that has to be attached to the control unit?

(Connect the antenna supplied with the RC35S2 remote to Homewide Antenna connector the back of the main room control console)

I also wonder what then is this 285320-207 'Bose Link' to RCA connector that I bought?

I'm afraid all these various part numbers for the cable connectors is getting me somewhat confused especially when they all look identical.

Yes it does

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Robert. I guess I need to do some purchasing if I ever decide to do this. I'm surprised that Bose didn't mention the PMC III. Until you mentioned it I had no idea it even existed.

So it appears that the Bose Link to RCA connector I bought is useless anyway as it's a different part number (285320-207) to the one they mention. More expense...LOL

Thanks again.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That part # you are looking for is 34965 - RCA to 9pin but you can't use it input into a Lifestyle system, you can only use to come out from the Bose Link to a non-Bose product

1 - 15 of 15 Posts