AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm brand new here. I just purchased a new Bose Accoustimass 10 speaker system - which is how I found this wonderful place. Here's my story:

1. I used to have a Bose Cinemate II 2.1 system. I actually think it was a very good sounding 2.1 setup, I liked it well enough that I had no immediate plans to spend money on a surround sound. But, it went T.U. a couple weeks ago and I wasn't about to go back to TV speakers. Bose no longer makes that system so off I went to Best Buy.

2. I bough a Cinemate 130. Sounded great in the store, and wasn't really convinced I wanted to run speaker wires through my house, etc so it seemed like a good idea. I took it back a couple days later... not a horrible speaker bar but I quickly discovered I don't like speaker bars... plus it would have been easier to live with if it was half the price. Would make a good bedroom or RV system, but has no business in a living room.

3. Decided to go for the gusto and buy a 5.1 system, got the AM 10 on sale ($600) which I though was a good deal (I should have came here first). Installation wasn't really that bad, got the wires through the wall and speakers hung on the wall.

Well, I spent 3 straigh evenings trying to get the thing to sound good. Some things sounded "OK", occasionally something would even sound pretty good, some things sounded totally unacceptable, which is why I started searching the internet for answers. By the way, I also bought a Yamaha 477 receiver - which is not a bad unit in my opinion.

After multiple times doing the set up, manually tweaking the EQ and other settings, and trying all of the built in programs, I decided to experiment and went down to the basement and brought up some old Pioneer floor speakers (12" woofers, 10" mids and a tweeter in each cabinet). I pulled the wires out of the Front L/R Bose speakers and hooked them straight up to the Pioneers. Wow what a difference. Everything immediately sounded 100 times better, no matter what source or what type of programs I watched and no matter what receiver settings, sounds great now.

I'd imagine it would even be better if I replaced the subwoofer, mids, and surrounds too, but I will say just taking the L/R fronts and putting a decent speaker in it's place sounds pretty freaking good.

Since I've alreay got the surrounds mounted and wired, I'll probably end up keeping the system the way it is with the Pioneers for front L/R and Bose everywhere else, but what a lesson I learned... Bose speakers sound like crap and it took me $600 and alot of elbow grease to learn that lesson. I'm sure I will eventually replace the Bose stuff but to be honest, it sounds good now, and I'm tired of screwing with it.

Just thought I'd share my story and maybe save someone else from making the same mistake.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I had a Bose setup for 1 day! Went back the next day, lol...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
B-********
O-overpriced
S-speaker
E-experience

B-bad
O-offerings
S-search
E-elsewhere:p

·
Registered
389 Posts
Unfortunately, you are not alone in being disappointed by Bose. While I can say they have made great sounding speakers in the past, the modern day stuff is mediocre at best. I am not surprised your old, likely weathered Pioneer speakers blew the Bose away.

My dad liked the Model 201, as did I. He also got Model 301 and they were just okay, we both liked the Bose 201 better. I did have some Model 21 speakers I really liked a lot, but they could not handle power and I blew the tweeter on the right speaker using moderate power and an old Sansui receiver. They were my first 2.0 setup and they sounded good for what they were, but I had a Sansui amp driving them so that helped for sure.

The bass module (supposedly a sub on your A-10) is actually a mid-bass module. I think you would need at least a real sub to improve sound but do not be surprised if your old Pioneer speakers still blow it away. Take it back and get some decent speakers to start, no harm no foul if you can. Get out while you can!

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I've heard deeper more controlled bass from a flatulent cow compared to the bass mid woofer.

Why on earth would you keep the Bose, hooking up L/R though the bose unit (means it does EQ to your Pioneers) and keep the crap subwoofer?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Since I've alreay got the surrounds mounted and wired, I'll probably end up keeping the system the way it is with the Pioneers for front L/R and Bose everywhere else, but what a lesson I learned... Bose speakers sound like crap and it took me $600 and alot of elbow grease to learn that lesson. I'm sure I will eventually replace the Bose stuff but to be honest, it sounds good now, and I'm tired of screwing with it.

Just thought I'd share my story and maybe save someone else from making the same mistake.
If you can return them, then return them. As you said, they sound like crap, don't live with crap, it's unhealthy and I'd hate to see a hazmat team called in.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I would return the all the Bose speakers and start over. There are plenty of other smaller speaker set-ups that are far superior to Bose.

Look at the SVS Prime Satelite 5.1 set-up for $1000. They offer a risk free in home trial period for 45days. If you don't like you can return it to them and they will pay the shipping both ways.

Pioneer newer Andrew Jones speaker set-up is in your budget and worth looking at especially at its sale prices.

Those Bose Satelites only go down to 200hz, I wouldn't want to use them as surrounds personally. Something like the Polk OWM3's are easy to mount and not too big to be intrusive IMHO.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
+1 to returning the Bose system. You can do soooo much better with that kind of money.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not going to pile on the Bose-hate, but BestBuy has like a 30-day return policy, correct?

Take the Bose back.

If you want a massive surprise - check out the wallet-friendly "house-brand" Insignia branded 8ohm 2-way bass-reflex bookshelf speakers they have for $69.99/pair, the NS-SP213's.

These sleepers are NOT usually even set out on display, let alone set up to demo, as BB wants to sell the higher-end stuff they carry - like Bose and Klipsch and Pioneer.

The build-quality is excellent and these little puppies will blow you away.
Would make for great side/back speakers or even a full 5.1 setup with a decent subwoofer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm one of the nuts that likes his Bose speakers. They sound very natural.

This may be a little late, but...make sure you have your speakers set to "Large" in your AV Receiver. I know they "look" small, but the AM 10 instructions tell you to set them to large in the receiver. There are also instructions for the Bass Crossover setting. All of this is assuming you're running your speakers through the Bass Module (which, yes, I know is not a true subwoofer).

I purchased a Yamaha RX-V677 about a month ago and my speakers sound even better than before by following the Bose instructions.

From the AM 10 Instructions:

For realistic home theater sound

Adjusting the LFE level (low frequency effects)
The LFE level control on your powered Acoustimass module increases or decreases the relative
level of low frequency effects on movie soundtracks. Use it to regulate the presence of
these underlying deep bass sounds. Use the “test tones” feature in your digital surround
sound receiver to match the volume levels for each of the cube speakers. Then use the LFE
control on the Acoustimass module to match the volume of the LFE channel to the cube
speaker channels.

Adjusting the bass/room compensation level
This feature will allow you to fine-tune your system after you have placed the Acoustimass
module in your selected location. If the room sounds “thin” or lacks bass, turn the BASS control
in a clockwise direction to increase the bass level of the module. If the room sounds
“boomy” or has too much bass, turn the knob in a counter-clockwise rotation to reduce the
bass level of the module. The factory or detent setting is appropriate for a majority of listening
situations.

Setting your digital surround sound receiver
Your Acoustimass 6 or Acoustimass 10 speakers are compatible with the output from digital
surround receivers. Integrated Signal Processing assures full bass reproduction for all channels
regardless of receiver settings.
However, the following table suggests a set of recommended
receiver settings. The cube speaker arrays should be set to LARGE in the receiver's
digital display menu. The LFE, or subwoofer, is set to ON. If applicable, the crossover value
should be set to the lowest number possible, typically 80 Hz.

Speaker Receiver setting
Front left and right LARGE
Front center LARGE
Rear left and right LARGE
LFE/Subwoofer ON

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I believe Bose has made more money on speakers/radios than any other company ever....which means jack to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can honestly say I'm a satisfied Bose customer. I've owned the acoustimass 5 series 2 speakers since 2001 and they're still pumping out great sound. This speaker system is connected to a now antiquated receiver, onkyo tx-ds777, and it too was bought in 2001. It's 2015, my HT is still rocking and rumbling. Perhaps the speakers are not your problem, you may want to pay more for a quality receiver with sufficient amp.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
I've owned Bose 901 ser III ,701 series IV ,301 series IV (still have all but the 901's I no longer own, and the 701's in my storage /workshop bldg and 301's in the garage ) all of which can be picky about placement like All Bose and they like wattage .(Tons of wattage well over a 250 in the 901s) .901's can and did rock a lot of Disco clubs and other venues ,the 801 Pro derivatives are still doing it .

I use to feed my 901's with a 350 wpc Phase linear 700B it never taxed the 901's but you could hear them far and wide when it was cranked (very cleanly too !

Bose are picky where U put them . Not the best highs ,not the best lows,not great imaging ( that's not what they do )
A very balanced pleasant (highs rolled off smooth like butter sound ) * Not studio or high end (or even real good mid fi ) critical at all though ,
OTOH a sound stage of Bose Everywhere Sound and the whole room sweet spot like only they can do .

Some like them ,some hate them but they aren't bad (or major HT chair rockers ) but can be very interesting if U place them exactly so how Bose says and again they can make the whole room a sweet spot just don't expect much in 3500sq ft room unless U got 901's and a phat amp

Admittedly I was not overly fond of the AM 5.1 sets and passed them by ( MY main 5.1's were on larger scale then as now ) but in the right room for what they are they can be surprisingly articulate with Movies and TV (disappear into a room and are real good for casual background music and the WAF is off the scale. ofc U R not going to be rocking Start me up by the Stones at ear bleeding levels on those either ,.

901's can do that though , add in phat powered amp (not an AVR I'm talking phat power ) ,Bose EQ box (the right one ) , a powered sub or 2 and some super tweeters ,or some Jbl 075's with an xover high pass section and things can get real interesting in a hurry .

Bose can can do psychoacoustics better than anybody very convincingly, (that is and always has been their business model ) especially in the smaller form factors more recently .. they can make 2 jewel cubes and a bass module sound like 5 speakers and disappear into a room and the wave radio ,wave stereo and their other table tops and sound docks ,etc sound like something much larger very convincingly believe it !

Bose haters will always hate (some that perhaps legitimately had the wrong expectations & many that never even heard them) while 10's of millions buy the product and are just fine with how they sound and some knowing Bose profits after expenses go to R&D ,(mostly education) and some charity and not wall st .

☻☺

1 - 20 of 44 Posts