AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I could do with some assistance relating to my future home audio system however, please note that I am not an audiophile so please keep your answers basic!
I also want to try and do this project with minimal costs as the renovation has grown considerably since we started!
I have recently rewired my house and took the opportunity to drop in some standard speaker cables at the same time to locations around my house.
I have six wires running back to the utility room where I would like to install a AV receiver via a speaker switch to distribute music around the house. I currently have an old Sherwood AV receiver that has a built in radio and various inputs that I hope to connect my speakers to, with the speaker switch it will allow me to isolate the upstairs speakers for when the children are in bed.

I am currently eyeing up some Bose model 16eu Freespace speakers that seem to have been removed from a shopping centre of some description - these speakers meet my the dimensions I have available and are also as non intrusive as I would like. The issue is that the tech sheets seem to intimate that these speakers are voltage driven (somewhere between 70 - 100v) and from the pictures it would appear that there is some 3 or more core flex that has been cut out during the removal of the speakers.

So to the questions then

Can I use these speakers on a standard speaker wire installation from my AV receiver/amp?
The speakers have various tappings that seem to increase/decrease the wattage - the speakers are rated for 16w but as they are normally installed quite high as opposed to a standard domestic house, would the rating suffice for background/occasional higher voltage for grown up house parties?
Would I be able to attach some sort of bluetooth adaptor to my AV unit to enable Ipod playing etc?
Finally if my idea is complete rubbish can someone be kind enough to suggest how I can utilise my current wiring to give me what I want (it is important that I can isolate the upstairs speakers)

Thanks for your help in advance - please be kind I understand very little about audio systems despite being a trained electrician from years ago.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all

I could do with some assistance relating to my future home audio system however, please note that I am not an audiophile so please keep your answers basic!
I also want to try and do this project with minimal costs as the renovation has grown considerably since we started!
I have recently rewired my house and took the opportunity to drop in some standard speaker cables at the same time to locations around my house.
I have six wires running back to the utility room where I would like to install a AV receiver via a speaker switch to distribute music around the house. I currently have an old Sherwood AV receiver that has a built in radio and various inputs that I hope to connect my speakers to, with the speaker switch it will allow me to isolate the upstairs speakers for when the children are in bed.

I am currently eyeing up some Bose model 16eu Freespace speakers that seem to have been removed from a shopping centre of some description - these speakers meet my the dimensions I have available and are also as non intrusive as I would like. The issue is that the tech sheets seem to intimate that these speakers are voltage driven (somewhere between 70 - 100v) and from the pictures it would appear that there is some 3 or more core flex that has been cut out during the removal of the speakers.

So to the questions then

Can I use these speakers on a standard speaker wire installation from my AV receiver/amp?
The speakers have various tappings that seem to increase/decrease the wattage - the speakers are rated for 16w but as they are normally installed quite high as opposed to a standard domestic house, would the rating suffice for background/occasional higher voltage for grown up house parties?
Would I be able to attach some sort of bluetooth adaptor to my AV unit to enable Ipod playing etc?
Finally if my idea is complete rubbish can someone be kind enough to suggest how I can utilise my current wiring to give me what I want (it is important that I can isolate the upstairs speakers)

Thanks for your help in advance - please be kind I understand very little about audio systems despite being a trained electrician from years ago.

John
Sorry that is supposed to read higher volume for grown up house parties

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Well, a couple things. Bose isn't highly regarded on this forum and won't be until they start making good speakers again. Second, while I haven't heard the freespace speaker you are referencing, based on its design, I cannot imagine it would sound very good. A single 4.5 inch midrange woofer, no tweeter...I am sure it has Bose "best sound" propriatory technology, however!

·
Registered
995 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts