AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the Fall of 2017, I purchased a Bose SoundTouch 300 soundbar along with the optional subwoofer. At the time of purchase, I was using an older model HDTV that did not support HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC), so I've been using an optical audio cord all this time from the TV to the soundbar.

Fast forward to 2020, I recently purchased a LG OLED television to replace my old TV. At the same time of the new TV purchase, I also bought the latest HDMI cable to go with my new 4k Blu-Ray Player. I had the new TV mounted on the wall with HDMI (in-wall) from the TV to my 4k Blu-Ray Play down below on a table, and a new optical cord (also in-wall) from the TV to my Bose SoundTouch 300 soundbar on the table down below.

Given that my soundbar does not "appear" to support HD Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio, does it make any difference that I had an optical audio cord ran (in-wall) from my new TV down to my soundbar? In other words, by me failing to purchase a second (new) HDMI cable (to be installed in-wall), am I now missing out on something? In other words, would using the HDMI Audio Return (out of my new TV) to this soundbar make any difference versus my existing optical cord from the TV to the soundbar?

I am hoping any replies here will confirm that my mistake in using optical audio is of little importance b/c I would prefer not to remove the large TV from the wall and thread a new HDMI cable (in-wall). But I would appreciate any insight here from others on this matter.

I will say - using the soundbar on the new TV is obviously a huge difference in sound quality versus the built in TV's sound. Of course, no surprise there.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since I haven't received any responses here, I thought I would post feedback of my own for the benefit of anyone else.

As it relates (just to soundbars) I was told by Bose Technical Support that it makes no difference (from a sound quality perspective) whether an optical cable is used versus HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) from the TV to the soundbar. Basically, you're just getting Dolby sound either way. From the sound quality standpoint, it only really matters when you have a more sophisticated audio home entertainment system setup since the soundbar is not going to support the more advanced Dolby Digital sound formats.

That being said, it's probably best to stick with HDMI Audio Return between the TV and soundbar when both pieces support this option, and when given the choice when everything is set up as new, now days. But, at the same time, it is not worth taking a TV down off a wall for this type of change just to switch out between optical and HDMI ARC since (again) there will be no difference in sound quality with this setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts