AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu /forum/post/20891442

One is junk, the other is junk so not much difference. There are much better choices.

You took the bait!!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really the Bose sound pretty good to me. What kills me about Bose is they seem to be about 5 years behind schedule. And unfortunately, I bought the set before I knew about the vast knowledge of the helpful folks here on AVS so I am stuck for the moment. I have been researching to find a similar sized set of speakers but haven't come up with anything to move on.

If you were looking for a set of speakers similar in size to the Bose setup, what would you recommend with a budget of around $1500. I can't go much bigger size wise with my setup and that is one of the reason I chose Bose to begin with.

Main use of speakers are Games, Movie, Music in that order.

EDIT: Also, any recommendations on a receiver?

·
Registered
898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 /forum/post/20891495

Really the Bose sound pretty good to me. What kills me about Bose is they seem to be about 5 years behind schedule. And unfortunately, I bought the set before I knew about the vast knowledge of the helpful folks here on AVS so I am stuck for the moment. I have been researching to find a similar sized set of speakers but haven't come up with anything to move on.

If you were looking for a set of speakers similar in size to the Bose setup, what would you recommend with a budget of around $1500. I can't go much bigger size wise with my setup and that is one of the reason I chose Bose to begin with.

Main use of speakers are Games, Movie, Music in that order.

EDIT: Also, any recommendations on a receiver?

OK, here is what I would do: You have the Bose, so at least you have a system. Therefore you can take your time saving and building a new one. I would first try and listen to as many speakers as possible. I have Klipsch, and the problem is that they really need to be broken in. They sounded mush better after I had them a while.

I would plan and save, and acquire stuff when the deals arise. There are many good speakers that are thoroughly vetted on this forum. Get the best AVR you can afford and get one that has Audyssey and can be wed w/ an amp.

I would then start to plan and save for some subs. I have CHT's and love them, but there are other good choices, pretty much all the ID subs we quibble over are very good. And remember, just because someone makes a good speaker (like Klipsch) does not mean their subs are that great.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
The Bose cube speakers are not much worse than other small cube speakers and likely better than some. A small driver WILL NOT produce full range sound...no matter who makes it! The problem with the Bose system is the satellites combine with no true subwoofer means you miss a lot of the freq response and second, the systems are overpriced.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If you need tiny little satelite speakers I would recommend http://hsuresearch.com/products/vt-12.html with http://hsuresearch.com/products/vt-254.html so that will give you 7 speakers and puts you at about $340. Also look at this sub http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html which puts you at about $850. Look at this receiver which puts you at about $1,250. That setup with proper tuning and calibration will blow the bose away. But as already stated satelites can only sound so good because they don't have the size to move much air.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/20892444

That setup with proper tuning and calibration will blow the bose away. But as already stated satelites can only sound so good because they don't have the size to move much air.

Can you be more specific on tuning and calibration and how to do it?

·
Registered
898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 /forum/post/20892579

You will need an avr that has Audyssey. It will include a mic and will walk you through the process. There are several versions, the more expensive avr's have the better versions, but basic will improve the sound significantly.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I know you said you had space limitations...but paying over 1000 dollars for "cube speakers", whether it be Bose or other, seems like a crime. If the "look" of the room s the most important thing and more important than sound quality, I would just keep the Bose. Most of the satellite systems listed will sound better than Bose, mostly because they will come with a real subwoofer... but not like a set up with some decent sized drivers!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 /forum/post/20892579

Use Audyssey as stated and you could use a radio shack digital sound pressure level meter to further fine tune the volume levels of each speaker.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/0

Use Audyssey as stated and you could use a radio shack digital sound pressure level meter to further fine tune the volume levels of each speaker.

Audyssey will be more accurate than an RS SPL meter for speaker volume levels. The meter should be used to optimize the position of the sub in the room using either REW or discrete frequency test tones.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu /forum/post/20891648

... I have Klipsch, and the problem is that they really need to be broken in. They sounded mush better after I had them a while.

.... And remember, just because someone makes a good speaker (like Klipsch) does not mean their subs are that great.

Fwiw, Klipsch speakers don't need to be broken in (notice nothing in the instructions or Klipsch website about it) and the Klipsch RSW series of subs are excellent and highly regarded, although at MSRP were over-priced.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler /forum/post/20900847

Fwiw, Klipsch speakers don't need to be broken in

Unless broken in at the factory, which AFAIK no one does, all speakers have a break-in period.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I agree that there is "break-in" but not so much that the consumer would notice:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/...7.aspx#1461527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cannon /forum/post/0

Ok, there is such thing as break in , but we do it in 20 min with 75% `input voltage at 20Hz. The complance of the woofers is where you would see the change. However, with that said, after 8 hr at 32V they had about 1 - 1.5db more output gain...not a lot of change.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.