AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep reading about how BOSE sucks and how expensive they are compare to what you get.

would you please help me about what i should get in this case.

I was at the store enjoyed exploring BOSE companion 5. i really liked the system. if i dont purchase this $399 item i still should find something with these features:

1- up to $400

2- compact speakers

3- USB connectivity that i dont have to use my big ass receiver.

4- extra input for my IPOD while my PC is connected. (BOSE comes with a cute control pod that brings you a head set input and another single input for IPOD)

5- again again, small speakers and a small Sub woofer (similar size to Bose Companion 5)

6- not to least... similar or better (according to the usual crowd) sound quality. especially digital surround (i assume this is the feature that fills up my living room)

you experts i will be happy to hear from you. otherwise i am affraid i will find my self in the store with BOSE companion 5.

thanks.

MS

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I think you would want a HTIB. Have you looked at any of those? I think the LG ones do everything you are asking about. Before you go this way, are you using a STB for your TV. My mother didn't have one of those and was using the pass through on her TV and she had A/V sync problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi lexa, i dont have a TV. dont watch. i will use my PC's monitor for DVDs and such. is there a problem? and i will check out the logitech by the way. to me it sounds like a mouse and keyboard brand. hope what i ll see will change my mind. and will check HTIB as well.

thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm. looked at the Logitech. really didnt like the design. and comes with to many pieces of speakers while i am trying to make more space for my self by selling out my old speakers and receivers. but still i should check how it sounds.

also checked the websites of B&W (pretty confusing to find what i need on their website, spend half an hour there cant even see the prices), and Klipsch. i dont know. price of the similar item is much lower than what i can spend.

i am ready paying $400 and dont wanna buy $150 worthy system while i should be able to purchase the better one.

also thinking one more thing... 2 speakers with a small subwoofer that i can carry it with me occasionally with my laptop and set it up quickly to do parties for small spaces could be the case. everything that i am looking for is what Bose Companion 5 can give me so far. except the quality of sound and the over priced tags that you all complaining so far.

can anybody recommends me a system that i will be happy with?

please see my first thread to see what i am looking for. just learned my lesson: will not get a BOSE.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Frankly, I will break out of the pack and say that if you are impressed with BOSE, go ahead and get it. I'm not sure why you're challenging the members of this board to seemingly "prove" that BOSE is worse. It's really up to you. You say that BOSE has "over priced tags that you all complaining so far." Well, if YOU aren't complaining, then get it. If you think the sound is good, and like the features, convenience and size, then the decision's already made for you.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
OK, I see what it is now. Forget HTIB. You can't hook them up to computer unless you have some sort of pre out on your soundcard and it would probably need an RGB input for the video (but you can run the video direct anyway). I would buy this system for only one reason. I really like the way the speakers look. Check out Klipsch and Altec for PC speakers. I see no point at all in using that little pod that comes with it. Most people who have an MP3 player also have all the songs on I-Tunes or whatever program you use to transfer to the player, volme controls are in the system tray as well as mute and they are sometimes right on the speakers. Headphones also can be attached via a sound card or front pannel of some PC's.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/0

I would check out the klipsch audio ifi speakers system, they sound good, and are a very decent alternative to the boses. you could also check out swan M200's and M-Audio BX5a's, those are 2.0 systems but sound VERY good.

I would avoid Klipsch (and Creative also) PC speakers. Their amps have a tendency to die/explode/implode/quit working. For Klipsch, I've read a lot of reports of peoples' failing after 2 months, so I thought my system which is older was just fine.

No. Getting close to the 2 year mark for mine and the subwoofer is dying.

Although if you do get a klipsch and it dies, it'll give you an excuse to upgrade to a much nicer system (4x as expensive
) later on like me!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
room filling sound and tiny speakers are not one in the same unless you have a line array of small speakers. That not being the case, you have to face reality, ie physics. You can only expect so much out of a tiny sound radiating surface.

You will have to compromise between sound quality, ease of use, price, and size of the speakers.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
True, that being said, the M-Audios are basically self powered bookshelf speakers with real drivers, not tweeters forced to do mid bass duty and a little woofer in a boomy box thats been ported to do death to provide some sort lower-ish frequencies.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon72 /forum/post/0

I would avoid Klipsch (and Creative also) PC speakers. Their amps have a tendency to die/explode/implode/quit working. For Klipsch, I've read a lot of reports of peoples' failing after 2 months, so I thought my system which is older was just fine.

No. Getting close to the 2 year mark for mine and the subwoofer is dying.

Although if you do get a klipsch and it dies, it'll give you an excuse to upgrade to a much nicer system (4x as expensive
) later on like me!

The complaints are not brand-wide but are on very specific models that are no longer in production. I.E., the original Klipsch 5.1, and the Megaworks brand when it was made by the Cambridge Soundworks rather the Creative themselves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi Esaleris.

i am not trying to prove anything. as a consumer before i buy i go read. and BOSE system impressed me at the store (COMPUSA) there was no chance provided to check other sound systems. (they were all on a shelf facing me if you are lucky playing some kind of r&b music playing for people)(you cant put your music or try placing the speakers). first and the last thing i read is all about BOSE systems being ******. this is shocking for amateaurs like my self because we all see in the magazines that BOSE is the best. I am almost glad to see the reality in this board almost everybody complained about BOSE. you are the first person telling me anything good about BOSE. and i think you got upset at me representing everything that i read on this board about BOSE. if one reads more about BOSE here definately will take the decission of not buying it.

anyway.

i will check more. thank you all for writing.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Mike, first off I think this package your looking at is priced OK. It's no a cheapy but if you were impressed with it, I think you should just go for it. You are the one who is going to be listening to it and if it's in your budget, I say just buy it. Bose gets a bad rap here because this is a coommunity of audiophiles which makes up a small percentage of people who purchase electronic equipment. How many people do you know that have Carver amps and B & W speakers? For the average consumer, Bose is the standard. As far as value, the system probably is pretty poor (I mean the quality of the parts used to make it compared to what they sell for), but like I said, just go for it if you like it. Also, trying to do A/B comparisons of these things is going to be difficult.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite /forum/post/0

The complaints are not brand-wide but are on very specific models that are no longer in production. I.E., the original Klipsch 5.1, and the Megaworks brand when it was made by the Cambridge Soundworks rather the Creative themselves.

Oh. Just so you know, the Klipsch 5.1 ultras suffer from the same problem as the originals.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I wasn't upset with you. I just think there are a lot of information out there and that you could have found it if you gave it a shot. The search function is a great friend. I was in a similar situation last year, and I admit I posted some open "help me find something" posts, but I also searched the board extensively. There's so much information here. You'll find that this board is filled with recommendations of all sorts - and some that directly address equivalents to BOSE systems. I've never owned a BOSE system, nor would I ever do so, but that's up to the individual.

Saying all that, I apologize if I sounded harsh; let's get off on the right foot - I don't want you to think that people on here are disagreeable or anything (trust me, they're a great group.) So, I'll recommend that you search terms like "small speakers" "satellites" etc. Also, typically, higher-end manufacturers do not list their MSRPs - thus no prices on B&W's site. The last thing I'd say is that is to buy what you think works for you, even if it is BOSE. The reason is that I admit at some point, I don't hear a difference of "the next upgrade," even if it is critically acclaimed as being much better. I personally drive my system with Marantz, which is sometimes panned for being a less-than-perfect match with B&W - but I like it. Coming to this board - yes, opens your eyes - but at the same time, you shouldn't take everybody's word for it - everybody has different preferences. If you never had a problem with BOSE sound, then there's nothing wrong with going with them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.