AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a blu-ray player (Panasonic BD60) and a few questions on how to setup my surround sound system. I'll try to explain it as best as I can.

I have a 50" LG plasma that has 2 HDMI ports. I have a Bose Lifestyle 38 5.1 surround sound system (with integrated DVD player on the receiver) that has no HDMI ports on the receiver. The Bose receiver has one optical in and one optical out port.

I have the following components that I want to use with HDMI:

Uverse, blu-ray, XBOX

Right now I have one HDMI cable going from TV to Uverse cable box and the other HDMI cable going from TV to the XBOX. I have an optical cable going from optical in on receiver to optical port on the XBOX. So if I understand correctly I am then getting 5.1 surround on my XBOX and am only getting stereo sound when watching cable TV and when playing a DVD off the Bose receiver I should get 5.1 since the DVD is integrated.

A friend suggested getting a HDMI switch from Monoprice to resolve the HDMI issue. I would take one HDMI cable from TV and plug into HDMI switch and the split to cable box and XBOX. Leave other HDMI cable direct to blu-ray player. Monoprice also has another HDMI switch that also has a optical\ oslink input to split sound. It is backordered right now until April.

I assume I will get 5.1 surround whether I use optical port or digital port from receiver to any device. Is optical preferred? I found a optical splitter at Monoprice and want to get to split sound for blu-ray and XBOX if I don't want to wait for the other HDMI switch that has both..

The Bose Lifestyle 38 system model has been discontinued but the 35 system is the same. Here is a link to the it specs so you can see the ports on the back of the receiver.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...e_35/index.jsp

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Your link is bad...

If your receiver has the choice of either Optical or SPDIF input, there is no quality difference between the two. To get DD 5.1, all the devices need to be hooked to the Bose system either via optical or SPDIF.

Regardless, for help with your Bose system set up, the HTIB section under Audio would be a better place to ask.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=109

1 - 2 of 2 Posts