AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately need to down grade in the new family room to some smaller type of 5.1 system when adding my Plasma monitor. Can't fit the Klipsch K-Horns and Forte's in the room -- bummer.

Have been looking at the Bose 5.1 system. The room is pre-wired in the ceiling.

Running a Denon AVP-8000 with Adcom 6000.

Thoughts / comments / recommendations appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
There are a ton of in walls/ceilings you might want to look at/listen too. I think you'll find the sound of many orders of magnitude better than BOSE.

A few internet vendors offer relatively cheap solutions:

Are ascend CBM-170's too big? I really like mine. Admittedly not the most beautiful speaker but i think they offer good price/performance.

The Rocket ELT's are slightly smaller but certainly are pretty if its a WAF based decision (haven't heard them but others here and at av123 can give their thoughts).

Could look at these too:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=300892

BOSE is a four letter word around here (except maybe for their headphones). I don't think you'll get many thumbs up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CanO -- thanks, I'm a rookie here. Need to listen to something else. Since I'm popping $$ for the plasma, I cant get the B&W's I wanted, so need to look at something else. Have a good Velodyne sub I could start with, so the hunt begins.

Suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes for 5 speakers and thanks to all for their help. I will be using a Velodyne sub and prefer a slim center channel that would be asthetic to the Plasma. Thinking about the Mirage babies with a DefTech slim mount center. Timbre matching issues???

Your expert opinions appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Brad - as I mentioned in another post you should check out this article on plasma speakers in sound and vision.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

Def Tech Mythos, B&W VM1s, NHT L5s, and Paradigm OW Mini Monitors are all plasma friendly, reasonably priced and from quality companies.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am not sure I understand why adding a wallmounted tv will mean you need to shift to 5 head phone speakers.

But there are many options out there. Center channels can be mounted on the front wall and surrounds can be mounted on the side or back walls. there are a number of floorstanding speakers that do not suck up a great deal of real estate. Book shelf speakers are a slight compromise can be mounted on shelfs out of kids reach.

Klipsch has a great new line of speakers which are front ported allowing for close to the wall positioning.

Klipsch Bookshelfs RB-75, RB-35, RB25, RB15

Center RC-35, RC-25

Surrounds RS-7, RS-35, RS-25

Good Luck

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.