AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried several audio systems at my local fry's. Including an onkyo, yamaha,sony and bose. I must say the bose sounded MUCH more life-like, live, and realistic. CARS was playing and the characters voices just jumped at me, like I was at the theater. The cars sounds were precise, like they were next to me, loud and crystal clear.

The other systems sounded to me like my good old sony minicomponent that is handling the audio right now. Loud but not nearly as high-fidelity like. It's hard to explain. There was some hissing sound with high volume on the quiet scenes as well.

If bose is such a piece of junk like everyone says, why do they sound so good?!?

My local compusa has a ac-10 for 750 now. I'm tempted.

Franke46

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
If you like them and are willing to pay their premium prices, then go get one....no need to ask advise here or await the bashing that is sure to come soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
They weren't using their "wraparound" demo station, were they? With the speakers on the little metal arms that get your head in the sound "pocket"? If the Bose had it's surrounds behind you, and the others didn't, of course the Bose will "jump at you" more.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 /forum/post/12899663

In before the posting of the "Truth About Bose" internet article.

Like we need to see THAT hatchet job again...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/12899686

Like we need to see THAT hatchet job again...

actually I would have posted it but I cannot find it in my bookmarks. Seriously, could you PM me the link. I talk to a lot of people here in Boston and they always talk about how great Bose is. Advertising much?

EDIT: To the OP, if they sound good to you then get them. Personally I think you can do much better for the same amount of cash.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Whatever makes you happy. But a lot of how you experience a surround sound system is the setup. The other systems may not have been set up nearly as well or carefully. I am not saying it is true, but Bose may have paid the store to set up their system in a specific way, while no special attention was given to the other ones.

And voices will jump at you on a system with a frequency response of 40 hz to 13khz +- 10db, haha

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
What, specifically did you compare them to?

·
Registered
525 Posts
ask them to see what equipment is driving the speaker system.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Hey I if this dude really feels he should drop 3deca bills for Dr. Amars poison, let him.

I sure wouldn't stop him, I didnt learn a thing from Amazing Fantasy# 15.

·
Registered
485 Posts
"If it sounds good, it is good." --Duke Ellington

·
Registered
775 Posts
Notice my signature.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What is missing, bass, mid-bass and highs. If it sounds good to you though, that is what matters. Report back and let us know how it sounds in your room. (as good as at the store??)

Enjoy,

Michael

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I need to go back and write down the exact models of the neighboring systems. They were all set up in a row, it wasn't their demo stuff but a real system. The other thing is that all the speakers are within 2 ft of each other, it may be another thing to fill a room.

I definitely do not want to pay more than I need (I got an HC1500 and a Grandview screen, not exactly top end), but the other systems sounded clearly inferior. I definitely can see fry’s playing tricks with the set up although that sounds too sophisticated for them, they usually stick to bait and switch and that kind of thing.

Franke46

·
Registered
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke46 /forum/post/12901623

I need to go back and write down the exact models of the neighboring systems. They were all set up in a row, it wasn't their demo stuff but a real system. The other thing is that all the speakers are within 2 ft of each other, it may be another thing to fill a room.

I definitely do not want to pay more than I need (I got an HC1500 and a Grandview screen, not exactly top end), but the other systems sounded clearly inferior. I definitely can see fry's playing tricks with the set up although that sounds too sophisticated for them, they usually stick to bait and switch and that kind of thing.

Franke46

What Fry's was this btw? My local Fry's has bose by itself in the corner of a room with the speakers hanging above you. All their other HTIB stuff is in a normal aisle and standalone speakers are in another room.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Save your money and buy something else. If the specs the Bose speakers were measured at appeal to you, go over to the radio alarm clocks with a CD and put it in, you might find the sound similar to the Bose system, I did it once to prove a Bose considering friend that he was getting ripped off. He took an honest listen and agreed.

·
Registered
883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND /forum/post/12902453

Save your money and buy something else. If the specs the Bose speakers were measured at appeal to you, go over to the radio alarm clocks with a CD and put it in, you might find the sound similar to the Bose system, I did it once to prove a Bose considering friend that he was getting ripped off. He took an honest listen and agreed.

Comparing the sound of Bose to a crappy alarm clock with a c.d. player is insulting... to the alarm clock. Must....not....bash....Bose....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts