AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that this center channel sucks from alot of places and to be honest I dont think i like it either........but I have bose 701 series 2 floor speakers and 161's in the rear...

I am not ready to switch my whole system yet but since this center is so bad what can I replace it with..I know its importanto keep the same brand up front that why I am asking u all...let me know thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
First, I think you have to explain what YOU don't like about it. Put aside what you ahve hear or read....what is YOUR impression of the center channel? This may help people point you right the right direction for your tastes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hada JBL studio series center and then got this since it matched the rest....sometimes when I watch DVD's and certain tv shows it will be hard to hear the voices of who is talking so I have to turn it way up, then when a action scene hits , it is way too loud and I gotta turn it down...so I am always holding the remote up/down pretty much the whole dvd.....I even have the center channel turned up + 6DB on the reciever..

hope that helps...thanks alot(dont remember having this problem before with the JBL center)

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Do you have an SPL meter? Get one at Rat Shack and set the levels on your speakers with your receivers setup tones. Or use the tones in an Avia or DVE disc.

I know you said you are not ready to switch your whole system yet but you might consider selling the Bose speakers (eBay?) as you can probably get better sounding (more intelligable) speakers for less than you'll get from the sale. Get the same speakers all around for best sound, IMO. (The center might have to be a dedicated Center Channel speaker from whatever manufacturer the rest of the speakers are.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You've been asking about your same bose system for the past week or two now. I think you really have two options:

1) Keep your system, and leave it as is rather than changing just one speaker or two (it wont sound better).

2) replace all 5 speakers. and if that's the case..what budget do you have for sure, and what kind of speakers r u looking for.

~G

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have one of those VCs 10s laying around they are junk. If you have no budget right now I would find any bookshelf speaker and use that for a center till you are ready for a complete overhaul. At least you will be able to hear some dialog or set your receiver to phantom center and see how that sounds.

I would definitely try anything before using that Bose center though even just temporarily.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do u set a receiver to phantom? I have a onkyo....

also say my budget for just the fronts mains and center channel for now is $600 what should I do? 600 sounds like alot to me for 3 speakers but sound does matter to me....and they dont have to be floor speakers....but can be. thanks again!

·
Registered
360 Posts
On my receiver I go to main menu and I go to 'set up' and there will be settings for available speakers and I would put in "no" for center and the receiver automatically redirects to my mains although your receiver may be different.

I would read the many threads here for internet direct speaker companies and you should be able to buy three fronts for around $600 or maybe buy a couple of mains and buy a center later.

edit: or maybe some Polk Audios, I am always reading people are getting Polks for dirt cheap around here.....probably sound way better than your Bose although I never heard Polks or your 501's, that I can remember anyway. Just guessing about the sound quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts