AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we just got one of these for my dad's birthday and since it's Thanksgiving, I'll be able to spend some quality time with it. And I figured since there isn't much info out there, I could do some specific tests if anyone has any in mind.

My initial opinion is this was perfect for my dad. Remote-wise, it's a simple set up with a single remote that controls everything. I've already gone down the universal remote path with my parents and even the Harmony ones were frustrating. And it's not that they're aged or simpletons, they just don't want to be bothered with the complexity of multiple remotes.

The Bose remote is the complete opposite: just the controls you need at hand and the rest, easily accessible on screen. I don't think I've seen this approach anywhere else, except high-end conferencing systems and the like, and from my few hours with it, it works well. It controls all the components just fine, something the Harmony struggled with at times.

Audio-wise, it seems fine, though I haven't really given it a thorough run-through. I'm not some ostridge with my head in the sand, I know there's gonna be better systems out there, especially for this money, but again, simplicity wins out. It's a clean install and out of the box it sounded as good as an old system I had with Definitive speakers.

So anyway, it's been years since I had my own home theater system (moved to NY, no space, neighbors, etc) so if anyone has recommendations on how to test the audio and surround capabilities, I'd be happy to share the results here.

Just some more tidbits if you care to read: the Bose store in NJ said we were the first one to buy from that store and nationwide, around 150 had been sold. The remote, while great for simplicity's sake doesn't seem to be able to control more advanced features, or at least I haven't figured out how yet.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoney30
Hi all, we just got one of these for my dad's birthday and since it's Thanksgiving, I'll be able to spend some quality time with it. And I figured since there isn't much info out there, I could do some specific tests if anyone has any in mind.

My initial opinion is this was perfect for my dad. Remote-wise, it's a simple set up with a single remote that controls everything. I've already gone down the universal remote path with my parents and even the Harmony ones were frustrating. And it's not that they're aged or simpletons, they just don't want to be bothered with the complexity of multiple remotes.

The Bose remote is the complete opposite: just the controls you need at hand and the rest, easily accessible on screen. I don't think I've seen this approach anywhere else, except high-end conferencing systems and the like, and from my few hours with it, it works well. It controls all the components just fine, something the Harmony struggled with at times.

Audio-wise, it seems fine, though I haven't really given it a thorough run-through. I'm not some ostridge with my head in the sand, I know there's gonna be better systems out there, especially for this money, but again, simplicity wins out. It's a clean install and out of the box it sounded as good as an old system I had with Definitive speakers.

So anyway, it's been years since I had my own home theater system (moved to NY, no space, neighbors, etc) so if anyone has recommendations on how to test the audio and surround capabilities, I'd be happy to share the results here.

Just some more tidbits if you care to read: the Bose store in NJ said we were the first one to buy from that store and nationwide, around 150 had been sold. The remote, while great for simplicity's sake doesn't seem to be able to control more advanced features, or at least I haven't figured out how yet.
Hey cMony30

First off since your new to the forum as far as posting,,,, anything positive said about Bose will attract the Bose bashers,,,, pay little to no attention to them,,, they bash because they need to feel like they know more than they do about A/V equitment, or because they are sheepeople that have that mob mentality.

Anyhow,, just had to get that out of the way since I had seen earlier that some one had posted a rude reply to your honest questions and friendly post,,,,Bose bashers can be real jerks and Im guessin one of the MOD's here removed his rude posting,,,,, good !!!!!

About the BoseWave,,,, I have not heard it myself but a few members on here that are not affraid of the Bose bashers have posted that the Wave sounds amazing,,, yes,, very costly and over priced, but thats the same with ALL Bose stuff,,, but with that being said Bose does fill a need and a gap and are the most user friendly systems that are in existance,,,, too bad other A/V makers dont try to do some of the things that Bose does right,,,, except with out the high Bose prices.

As far as testing, any A/V calibration DVD would work for testing the audio.

One thing I would agree on though with the Bose bashers, is Bose's pricing is pretty

high,,, much much higher than if should be,,, while I do like many of Bose's products I dont buy them anymore mainly because of cost.

There is an alternitive to the Bose VideoWave since you mentioned you did not know of one,,,,, Mistubishi makes LCD flat panels called the Unisen TV's, they range in size from 40" to 55", have built in soundbars that can sound better than many full blown home theater systems and are less than half the price as the Bose.

Matter of fact the 55" Unisen can be had for under 2K,, half the price of the Bose and a much bigger screen size,,, anyhow, like I said, I have not heard the Bose yet (I do plan on it) but for the price and the amazing sound you should take a look at the Unisen flat panels before your return window runs out with Bose,,,,, anyhow,,, here the link for the Unisen's http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/unisen.html

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/19538372

Mistubishi makes LCD flat panels called the Unisen TV's, they range in size from 40" to 55", have built in soundbars that can sound better than many full blown home theater systems and are less than half the price as the Bose.

I looked at the site for one of the Unisen TVs, and wonder what sound quality it's capable of, given that there's a total of ~50 watts available to all of the drivers. And I wonder if the output for a subwoofer is supposed to make up for how much bass the 3-inch-deep TV delivers. But I haven't heard them enough to compare.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Being the proud owner of a Unisen, along with a HSU subwoofer, and ..I have spent hours at the Bose store playing with the Bose Videowave, trying blu rays, etc.. I really believe the Mitsubishi( properly set up and with a really good subwoofer) KILLS the Bose.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was the one who posted the Bose bash and snarky reply. I removed it myself as it was, well, snarky and unhelpful.

I used to sell Bose products (I was also the buyer for a small local video chain) I can tell you two things about Bose that you should consider before you purchase their products.

1) All Bose products are price fixed. Meaning that Bose sets the retails and any store that discounts them loses the ability to buy the brand.

2) Bose spends 3x what it costs per unit to manufacture their products on advertising and marketing. That means that you are paying far more for their advertising than you are for "quality" components.

As has been said so many times on these forums, you can always find better sound for a lot less money than Bose.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodguy /forum/post/19622067

I was the one who posted the Bose bash and snarky reply. I removed it myself as it was, well, snarky and unhelpful.

Sadly, what you replaced it with -- comments about Bose business practices and guesses about what their marketing/ad budgets are -- don't add to anyone's understanding of this particular product's features or its performance. Less snarky, yes, but still not helpful.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ /forum/post/19644230

Sadly, what you replaced it with -- comments about Bose business practices and guesses about what their marketing/ad budgets are -- don't add to anyone's understanding of this particular product's features or its performance. Less snarky, yes, but still not helpful.

And your two posts in this thread help how?

At least my 'unhelpful' post may save the OP from making an ill-advised purchase.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoney30 /forum/post/19533299

Hi all, we just got one of these for my dad's birthday...My initial opinion is this was perfect for my dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodguy /forum/post/19644604

At least my 'unhelpful' post may save the OP from making an ill-advised purchase.

Yes, I agree. The OP already bought a product he feels is perfect for his dad, so suggesting that he not have already bought the product is, indeed, unhelpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodguy /forum/post/19644604

And your two posts in this thread help how?

Good question. My first post questioned whether the Unisen could sound good and it got a response from a Unisen owner. My second was aimed at keeping threads about product performance clutter-free, but it doesn't appear to have worked yet.

The OP's post focused on the sound performance and the novel remote. Looking further, I see that the Bose has a built-in room-EQ system. I didn't see any mention of that kind of feature in one of the Unisen OGs I downloaded, but I wouldn't buy a home theater system (either a separate one, or built into a TV) without one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts