AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new home theatre system.

The market for home theatres is very niche and very expensive where I am from so I apologise in advance as I really don't have many options for other companies aside from these...

This is my first post so please go easy on me >_

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddy  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24459403

However I do know that in the Bose store I was in an acoustically treated room with a full enclosure and the room affects the sound so i needed more options...
There's also the matter of all the additional electronics probably used. There's a reason why Bose retailers will never have Bose in the same room with a good system. Read this:
http://web.archive.org/web/20130121081646/http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Bose are overpriced for what you get, and they are carefully setup (by Bose) in demo rooms to make the best of what they are such that you may never achieve that sound in your room.

I'd go with the Paradigm Milenia One with their sub. Although if you want to save money, there are subs from SVS Audio, HSU Research, Rythmik, and Power Sound audio that would work just as well for less money.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddy  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24459403

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new home theatre system.

The market for home theatres is very niche and very expensive where I am from so I apologise in advance as I really don't have many options for other companies aside from these...

This is my first post so please go easy on me >_

·
Banned
431 Posts
+1 Paradigm MilleniaOne. Excellent sounding small speakers. I haven't heard that model Dali speakers. You will not find a lot of love for Bose on any forum. I've heard Bose many times and IMHO they are extremely over priced. They are step above the HTIB (home theater in a box) you find at Walmart and Costco but many of HTIB at Best Buy will kill it for a fraction of the price. I will give Bose accolades for good service and support though.

If you are willing to spend the money of a lifestyle 535 the MilleniaOne system is an excellent alternative for a smaller speaker system. Pair it with a decent receiver and universal remote to control your system and you will never want to hear another Bose system again:D

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24466775

+1 Paradigm MilleniaOne. Excellent sounding small speakers. I haven't heard that model Dali speakers. You will not find a lot of love for Bose on any forum. I've heard Bose many times and IMHO they are extremely over priced. They are step above the HTIB (home theater in a box) you find at Walmart and Costco but many of HTIB at Best Buy will kill it for a fraction of the price. I will give Bose accolades for good service and support though.

If you are willing to spend the money of a lifestyle 535 the MilleniaOne system is an excellent alternative for a smaller speaker system. Pair it with a decent receiver and universal remote to control your system and you will never want to hear another Bose system again:D

You want to tell me what Paradigm Millenia 5.1 set-up, plus receiver, I can get that looks and sounds better than the Bose for $2,800?

·
Banned
431 Posts
I think it looks better but that is personal choice:D. Anyway..

Paradigm MilleniaOne 3.0 and MilleniaOne 2.0 system. $1248

http://paradigm.com/products-current/type=bookshelf/model=milleniaone-3.0-system/page=overview
http://paradigm.com/products-current/type=bookshelf/model=milleniaone-2.0-system/page=overview

Paradigm Monitor Sub 8, 10 or 12. If we only have to beat the 5-6" woofer in the Bose bass module the Monitor 8 will crush it. If you want more oomph than go bigger. And all these subs can use PBK which helps find the best sub location and EQs it. $699-$999.

http://paradigm.com/products-current/type=subwoofer/series=monitor

Paradigm PBK highly recommended. $99.

http://paradigm.com/products-current/type=accessory/model=perfect-bass-kit/page=overview

Universal remote less than $100.

That leaves $350-$800 depending on what remote and subwoofer you choose for the receiver. Pick your favorite brand of receiver.

Easily a Bose killer. Bose is over priced for what you get. This system will crush it. But if you want something more equivalent to Bose for less money look at these. While not as good as the Paradigm system they are comparable to Bose for less money.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/prod_class.php?class=Systems&source=globalnav

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/blu-ray_home_theater_system/bdx-610bl/?mode=model

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I wouldn't want the Bose Lifestyle 535 even if were free, I can build a nicer system for £500. The Bose would be acceptable if it was about £300.

If anyone wants to send me a Bose free, I'll tape myself throwing it into the tip.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24535472

I wouldn't want the Bose Lifestyle 535 even if were free, I can build a nicer system for £500. The Bose would be acceptable if it was about £300.

If anyone wants to send me a Bose free, I'll tape myself throwing it into the tip.

You know what is funny... is the fact that everyone who actually HAS the 535/535 II - absolutely LOVES it...

Every review I have seen for it, by people who actually own it - have given it 5 out of 5 stars - and completely rave about it.

In fact, many have commented on the fact that they used to use huge tower speakers with expensive components - and they 535/535 II sounds just as good.

It is only the people who don't own it who seem to bash it.

Is it worth the $3,200 they are asking for it - in my opinion - no...

But you can get it for around $2,500 - which makes it a little better.

I am seriously considering it - as I really want to unclutter my living room and get ride of all of the huge tower/center/surround speakers, etc...

Just my take on it.

Reactions: oOOBillO0o

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I can tell you I have heard several Bose setups AND the Only positive thing about bose is the small size..... I have honestly had and heard $500 Onkyo HTIB's that sound better than a $2500 bose system. Fact is bose = small speakers with pretty good sound for their size + a wannabe sub + a way out of this world price. If bose sold their 5.1 or 7.1 systems for about $300 to $500 I may actually recommend them to ppl who want tiny speakers. I think the ppl that think bose sounds good just don't know what good sound is. AND I'm not bashing them, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I used to be a bose fan before I ever had a system, but then the more I heard bose and other products I became highly educated on sound and how bose works.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24536485

I can tell you I have heard several Bose setups AND the Only positive thing about bose is the small size..... I have honestly had and heard $500 Onkyo HTIB's that sound better than a $2500 bose system. Fact is bose = small speakers with pretty good sound for their size + a wannabe sub + a way out of this world price. If bose sold their 5.1 or 7.1 systems for about $300 to $500 I may actually recommend them to ppl who want tiny speakers. I think the ppl that think bose sounds good just don't know what good sound is. AND I'm not bashing them, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I used to be a bose fan before I ever had a system, but then the more I heard bose and other products I became highly educated on sound and how bose works.

Not to argue - because if there really is better (for the size) out there - I would like to know.

I am not committed to Bose by any means.

However, as stated, the people who actually OWN the Bose systems - absolutely LOVE them.

And as stated, a lot of them had large tower speakers with some nice equipment powering them before purchasing their Bose 535 II system.

You really can't argue with reviews from people who actually own the 535 II...

Read the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Lifestyle-Series-Entertainment-System/product-reviews/B00FGLTYEG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24536587

However, as stated, the people who actually OWN the Bose systems - absolutely LOVE them.

And as stated, a lot of them had large tower speakers with some nice equipment powering them before purchasing their Bose 535 II system.

You really can't argue with reviews from people who actually own the 535 II...

Read the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Lifestyle-Series-Entertainment-System/product-reviews/B00FGLTYEG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

It's not hard to find people who love Bose systems. But most of the time, they've never compared them to setups like the ones that are regularly recommended here. There is no way that a set of cube speakers with an acoustimass bass module can outperform more full range bookshelves and a good ID sub. Five reviews don't trump physics (lol).

Not to mention, if you cite something with five reviews like you did, good chance some of them are schills. Bose is well known for recruiting people to post comments and testimonials.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24536587

That makes them either tone deaf or female, or both. No offense to females, but in general most women don't care if it sounds good, only if it looks good, 'good' meaning preferably invisible. The term WAF wasn't coined in response to a few isolated incidents.

As for a review that's actually worth reading, go back to Post # 2, click on the link.

Reactions: Farley1

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24536629

It's not hard to find people who love Bose systems. But most of the time, they've never compared them to setups like the ones that are regularly recommended here. There is no way that a set of cube speakers with an acoustimass bass module can outperform more full range bookshelves and a good ID sub. Five reviews don't trump physics (lol).

Not to mention, if you cite something with five reviews like you did, good chance some of them are schills. Bose is well known for recruiting people to post comments and testimonials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24536657

That makes them either tone deaf or female, or both. No offense to females, but in general most women don't care if it sounds good, only if it looks good, 'good' meaning preferably invisible. The term WAF wasn't coined in response to a few isolated incidents.

As for a review that's actually worth reading, go back to Post # 2, click on the link.

LOL, the hatred for Bose is strong in this one...

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24536666

LOL, the hatred for Bose is strong in this one...

Actually, you are showing a lot of love. I'm demonstrating objectivity

Reactions: David Susilo

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24536711

Actually, you are showing a lot of love. I'm demonstrating objectivity

LOL, the only way for you to show objectivity - would be for you to have listened extensively to the 535 II - before saying it isn't any good...

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1521723/bose-vs-paradigm-vs-dali-first-home-theatre-thread#post_24536629

It's not hard to find people who love Bose systems. But most of the time, they've never compared them to setups like the ones that are regularly recommended here.
Bingo!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Like I said, I am not fan-boy of Bose - never had a Bose...

Would just be nice to get advice from people who have actually had them or auditioned them for awhile - before saying that they don't like them...

That's all!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts