AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread and then going to sleep. It will probably start a rant but.... Please tell me what you think about bose speakers.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
BLOSE

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think this will just start a rant/bash/flame fest.

Are you looking for something in particular about them?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
He's not looking for anything. He's asleep. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
He's not looking for anything. He's asleep. :)
LOL! :D

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I'll second that, Spike. :) Cracked me up. Bose threads don't have to be flame threads if we don't let them become one. It's better to say that Bose=overpriced than it is to say Bose=crap. Less offensive to people who are inclined to defend the product they spent their hard earned money on. If somebody truly enjoys listening to music on a Bose speaker, then more power to them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i currently have the AM-10II. i will have to agree with Xcalibur_225 and be "nice" and say that Bose=overpriced (with all assumed connotations applied). if nothing else they have good resale value that i will be testing:)

·
Registered
201 Posts

Bose is pure garbage. Nothing they produce is designed for accurate, realistic sound reproduction. Cheap materials, chaep drivers, cheap sound. They are ONLY in it for the money. You know that "theater" in their show rooms? What they will not show you is the thousands of dollars worth of equalization and amplification required to make that room sound like it does. If they took one of their sytems off the shelf and put it in the same room, it would not even come close to the "special" system. Loud does not equal good sound. Too many people are making blind purchases because of the Bose marketing machine. Bose is for the ignorant. Overpriced with sound quality matching most clock radios. Pure garbage.

(for a minute anyway)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bose is not my personal choice - but if you get a good deal* on them and they meet your requirements (WAF etc) go for it. :)

*a REALLY REALLY good deal.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Hmmm.. Bose > Jesus.

I wonder how many hours the marketing department will spend trying to figure a way to work that into the message.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
This is too easy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here's my two cents on them...used to work at an audio retailer that sold them. Bose travelling reps encourage you to set up demos so people can here the difference between different bose systems (i.e. the single acoustimass cubes vs doubles, or 301's vs 201's). However, have you ever noticed how Bose are rarely setup in a manner that facilitates performing a-b comparisons with other brands? There's a very good reason for it, but, in the interest of not starting a flame war, I won't say what it is. I had befriended one of the Bose travelling reps that worked with the salesmen at various retailers in my area, and after he quit the company and took a job with a different company, he confided in my that Bose did infact encourage that type of setup, and that many Bose employees don't think that highly of the product themselves. He told me that he could get speakers at considerably less than 50% MSRP, yet he had paid full price for a competing brand in a similar price range as the Bose 901's.

Another bit of food for thought...Bose's flagship speakers, the 901's, haven't hardly changed in design (other than some cosmetic changes to the cabinetry) in I don't know how long, at least 20 years. I can't think of any other industry where one of the more well-known brands can get away without improving their product over 20 years without being left in the dust by the competition. Speakers are no exception. The 901's consist of 9 full range drivers (no tweeters, no woofers). It's been proven that small drivers don't perform bass as well as larger ones, and larger ones don't perform treble as well as smaller. One size of driver can't cover the entire frequency range. Bose is the only brand I know of that tries to cover the whole frequency range with one single sized driver in its flagship product. Also, you have to use their equalizer with their 901's to even get them to perform as intended, and unless you have a bi-amped setup that requires equalization to filter out the extreme freq's for the various channels, an EQ usually isn't recommended (by many audiophiles/purists, that is).

I have tried very hard to give my opinion without flaming the brand name. This is one of the very, very few times, maybe the only time, where I find it near impossible to do so, especially considering that I've sold them, and interfaced with the company, and witnessed sales tactics I didn't think were completely ethical, from their blatant, blatant price fixing to their discouragement of having their speakers set up so that they're easy to demo against other brands. Even if I disregard the quality of their products (or lack thereof), I would still have a strong disdain for the company and their business practices. My boss used to get on my case all of the time about my selling technique, because I would always try to sell the customer a better, even if cheaper, speaker, rather than go for the easy quick sell, as Bose are well marketed and known. Many salespersons like bose insofar as they're perhaps the easiest sale out there, they're in many people's price range, and they come in thinking they're among the best, and they don't listen objectively. So if you tell them what they want to here (and consider prices are fixed, so you don't have to worry about them finding a better deal in town), you can make the quick sale and move on to the next customer. I never could do that though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.