AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Bose 1-2-3 system since I would like to go with the less speajer look. Home theater will be in the living room and it's hard to sell the wife on the 5.1 system!! Looking at 30-37 inch LCD, and I'd like a nice system but not too cluttered. Is the Bose system good. What about the DVD video quality. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm curious too....especially since I've seen the Denon product w/ the 2 speaker Dolby virtual processor. That one has component output, and i think the Bose 123 just has Svideo....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amakh008
I was looking at the Bose 1-2-3 system since I would like to go with the less speajer look. Home theater will be in the living room and it's hard to sell the wife on the 5.1 system!! Looking at 30-37 inch LCD, and I'd like a nice system but not too cluttered. Is the Bose system good. What about the DVD video quality. Thanks!!!
Friends don't let friends buy Bose....Seriously, Bose's marketing claims are the equivalent of smoke and mirrors. Spend some time in the speaker forum and you will find better speakers that will make the wife happy. Bose probably has a advertising budget that is second to none in the speaker business. Their marketing BS does a great job of convincing the "masses" that their junk is not junk.

Hammer

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Not necessarily junk but WAAAYYY overpriced for what you get.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have the Bose 123 hooked up to my GWIII 60". It is definitely over priced, but not exactly a piece of junk either. I bought it as a "bandaid" until I get a 6:1 system up and running. I have a big room, but am challenged with 6:1 speaker placement as the TV is in a corner and there are doorways and fireplaces in the way to spread out the left and right channel properly. I have an old prologic system in the playroom, so I know what home theatre should sound like and the bose system does not come close to reproducing rear sounds through their magical reflection system.

HOWEVER, it sounds like your wife is concerned with a loud system being too close for comfort and I here ya there. My great room is off the kitchen and no matter which way you slice it, chicks just don't dig booming loud movies. In fact, when I had company over with my prologic system, I used to always get the "can you turn that down" look. Now that I am older and wiser, I have to agree, most of the company that comes over just does not like to talk over a loud system. I am now convinced that Home Theatre belongs in the basement or in a room on a different level than the kitchen.

The Bose 123 sounds pretty good to me for such a small footprint. With the latest firmware, the volume is plenty loud and clear. What I find funny is that people come over and swear they hear rear channels and ask where I hid them. LOL! I would say once in a great while I notice this, but not nearly enough. My biggest complaint is that the player is not progressive scan, but it looks pretty good. It also handles both DVD + and - R and RW, as well as VCD, SVCD, mp3, etc. Pretty much anything you throw at it.

I got mine for $499 and for the price it is a keeper. $999 is too much to pay for this unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.