AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Is there a difference between Balanced Optical Steady Shot (BOSS) and Sony's 2014 optical image stabilization w/ active mode? Is the new system just called optical image stabilization w/ active mode? If not how much better is BOSS vs Sony's 2014's regular optical image stabilization w/ active mode?

I am looking at the Sony AX100 as I want to shoot in 4k and need superb image stabilization.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
BOSS is better and not implemented in the AX100. Sony has made no claims that its 2014 optical image stabilization w/ active mode is improved over it prior versions, which very, very likely means it has not been improved. The RX10 appears to have the same stabilization system as the AX100, but it has a completely different lens, so the stabilization performance for that may not be applicable.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofinkelde  /t/1521138/boss-vs-2014-optical-image-stabilization-w-active-mode#post_24443622

Thank you. So I should probably look at either the Sony HDRPJ810/B or HDR-PJ540/B

?

Not if you want 4K. Sony's pro 4K camcorder does not have BOSS either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I guess I will continue shooting in HD until Sony releases a 4k BOSS model.

Thank you.

As I shoot mostly in bright daylight, would you still recommend the bigger sensor in the HDRPJ810/B?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofinkelde  /t/1521138/boss-vs-2014-optical-image-stabilization-w-active-mode#post_24443682

I guess I will continue shooting in HD until Sony releases a 4k BOSS model.

Thank you.

As I shoot mostly in bright daylight, would you still recommend the bigger sensor in the HDRPJ810/B?

My gosh, the sensor size for the J810 is only 1/4", which is already tiny. That for the other model is 1/6"! Tiny sensors enable big zooms, but they are inferior light collectors, which affects more than low-light performance. The 810 also has an important and useful feature for outdoors use - a viewfinder. That alone is worth the price difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So it exists no new Sony camcorder with B.O.S.S. that has (1) good image quality and (2) good enough for low light?

The older ones seems to have bigger sensors, like HDR-CX760E andHDR-PJ790V.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts