AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Actually, these have been discussed somewhat here before. If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find a few comments. For what it's worth, I have a pair of VR-M90's, a pair of VR-M50's, a VR-MC, and a VR-MEX, and like them very much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Id describe the VRM's as the warmest sound from any Boston speaker, overall I really like the VRM-50's and the VRM-60's, I havent had a chance to hear the VRM-90's but paired with a good sub the 60's in the front VRMC as the center and VRMEX's in the rear is a pretty rocking system.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Obviously, I love the VR-M series -- I own the 90s, the 60s, the MC, and the EXs. I've said many times that if Boston's speakers were all anywhere near the quality as their VR-M line, they'd have a completely different reputation. The tweeters in this line are fantastic. If you're looking for a direct comparison to something, I really can't give it to you (if I'd found it, I probably would have bought it). The bass these are capable also is surprising. I did tests with similarly priced, but larger speakers, and was surprised by how full the sound is on the VR-Ms. Honestly, though, you've got to hear them for yourself. I will tell you that I was really hoping I couldn't hear the difference between the M80 and M50s vs. the M90 and M60s, but there really is quite a difference that is worth the extra money.

-Robb

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm powering them with two Bryston amps. A 4B-ST (300 Wpc) for the VR-M90s (L & R), and a 9B-SST (160 Wpc) for the center (VR-MC), left & right surround (VR-M 50s), and back surround (VR-M EX). I have the center channel bi-amped.

On the VR-M 90s, the highs seem to me to have good clarity without harshness, the lows are surprisingly good and tight down to around 50 Hz or so. Imaging is very good, but probably not as good as, say, a pair of Sonus Faber Amati Homage. I'm still working on positioning them, though, so I still hope to improve that. Although they are expensive ($2700/pair), they sound very close to some of the much more expensive speakers I've listened to. The VR-M 50s are better sounding to me than my 30-year-old KLH 5's (if that means anything to you), which is quite surprising given their small size.

Given whatever I and others say, however, you really need to find someplace to listen to them. Your own ears will decide.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. Can anyone rate these speakers compared to Revels Performa series?

·
Registered
360 Posts
GB_KSU

That would be somewhat of an unfair comparison. The Revel M20 are $2k a pair, the BA VRM-60 are $1K. The Revek F30 is $3500 and the BA VR-M90 is $2700.

·
Registered
360 Posts
No, just because something costs more does not make it better and speakers choices are subjective. Given that you have the budget for either it is a far comparison to make, providing you do not compare them on price alone.

·
Registered
360 Posts
No, just because something costs more does not make it better and speakers choices are subjective. Given that you have the budget for either it is a far comparison to make, providing you do not compare them on price alone.

·
Registered
337 Posts
GB_KSU,

I'm going to emphasize nhparrot's post -- give both speakers a listen. Speakers are probably the most subjective portion of a person's gear, and the only way to know for certain what you will like best is to listen to them. Price, at the level you are looking at, starts to mean very little as to the quality. You're in the range where some speakers are steals for the money (based on personal taste) and some are rip-offs (again, compared to personal taste).

-Robb

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a pair of VR-M90's tonight. Got em for $1600. It was raining, so I left them at the store and will pick them up tomorrow. I can't wait! I am thinking of getting some of the VR-M60's for surrounds or VR-MX's, I don't know what to do here. I'm thinking the M60's would be better for music, but the MX's would be better for movies. I can get the MX's for $225 each and the M60's for $325 each. Does anyone own the MX's? Do they do a good job for movies?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Awright, I thought I got a good deal on mine, but...!!!! If you can get the M60s for $325 each, it's a no brainer (and I also own the MXs). Shoot fire, at those prices, get both.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Drifter,

I think you made an excellent choice. When I was auditioning speakers the Boston VR-M series were on my very short list. I loved the way they handled music, and did an awesome job on movies as well. Sounds like you got a helluva deal as well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Drifter, I would love to know where you are getting those prices on the BA speakers. For the VR-M60's it is about $250/pr less than best pricing I have received. For the MX's the pricing is also about $250/pr less than best pricing I have received. What pricing are you getting on the VR-MC?

Thanks

Glenn

·
Registered
565 Posts
Even though I don't own them, I love the BA VR-M line. Fantastic sound quality. They are a little pricey, but not by much...very competitive with the Vienna Acoustics I heard them with....not quite as good as the Sonus Faber Concerto's however IMO. But close. Seeing the Concerto's are about 2x the price, that's pretty good on behalf of the Bostons.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have a pair of 60's, an MC, a pair of MX's, and a PV1000. The M60's are absolutely amazing. The most natural sound I have heard for a speaker of that size and in that price range. Sure, they won't beat a pair of Legacy Helix's, but the natural and deep sound they produce would beat many a speaker costing much more.

As an aside, DRIFTER...if you can tell me where we can get those prices, I would buy another set of 60's, and have a separate music surround than the movie surround as robroy suggests....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.