AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the holidays I got a Circuit City gift card. For a pair of bookself speakers would you go with Boston CR67s or Polk Monitor 40s? How do the Polk Monitor 40s compare to Polk RTi4 or RTI 6. Circuit City only carries Polk Monitors. This is for a 2 channel stereo in my garage. I'm using a 20 year old 2 channel Denon to power the speakers.

Its too bad that Circuit City stopped selling the Polk RTi series. These mass market stores should carry more id range speakers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I listened to both of those speakers at CC a few weeks ago and thought the Monitor 40s were much better than the Bostons. I also compared the Monitor 40s to the floorstanding Monitor 50s that use the same driver setup for $100 more and found the 40s to be just as good. In fact, apart from slightly weaker bass, I thought the 40s sounded nearly as good as the $800/pr Monitor 70s. I ended up buying a pair of Monitor 60s (but with a European model number) from tweeter for $350/pr (buy one get one free). For the $50 price difference it was a no brainer to go for the 60s, but I did consider getting the 40s too.

I also listened to the Rti6s at Tweeter and thought they sounded a bit "richer" if that makes any sense. However, I couldn't do a direct comparison between the Monitor 60 and the Rti6 b/c they were in different rooms. In fact, the Monitor 60s were out in the middle of the showroom floor and the Rtis were all in listening room. I think they were trying to upsell the Rtis b/c they quickly told me that I didn't want the Monitors and showed me the Rti line.

I think as far as a 2 channel garage system goes, you won't be unhappy with the Monitor 40s. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccully /forum/post/0

I listened to both of those speakers at CC a few weeks ago and thought the Monitor 40s were much better than the Bostons. I also compared the Monitor 40s to the floorstanding Monitor 50s that use the same driver setup for $100 more and found the 40s to be just as good. In fact, apart from slightly weaker bass, I thought the 40s sounded nearly as good as the $800/pr Monitor 70s. I ended up buying a pair of Monitor 60s (but with a European model number) from tweeter for $350/pr (buy one get one free). For the $50 price difference it was a no brainer to go for the 60s, but I did consider getting the 40s too.

I also listened to the Rti6s at Tweeter and thought they sounded a bit "richer" if that makes any sense. However, I couldn't do a direct comparison between the Monitor 60 and the Rti6 b/c they were in different rooms. In fact, the Monitor 60s were out in the middle of the showroom floor and the Rtis were all in listening room. I think they were trying to upsell the Rtis b/c they quickly told me that I didn't want the Monitors and showed me the Rti line.

I think as far as a 2 channel garage system goes, you won't be unhappy with the Monitor 40s. Hope this helps.

When I listened to the Boston CR67s it seemed that the Polk Monitor 40s had more bass and sounded cleaner and louder. The Bostons CR67s where a bit dissapointing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.