AVS Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 3380 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but have enjoyed reading the ideas and opinion on Boston speakers. Now I have a question.


I have seen many LCR speaker systems, and always had the impression that they were essentially 3 center channel speakers capable of being placed horizontally or vertically. I have some space problems in my new HT set up and using 3 VS-325C's instead of 2 VS-260's and a 325 would save me some space and allow for a larger TV. Is there any reason the VS-325's won't work as an LCR combo? I appreciate any insight on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magman77 /forum/post/21428073


Hello, I'm new to the forum, but have enjoyed reading the ideas and opinion on Boston speakers. Now I have a question.


I have seen many LCR speaker systems, and always had the impression that they were essentially 3 center channel speakers capable of being placed horizontally or vertically. I have some space problems in my new HT set up and using 3 VS-325C's instead of 2 VS-260's and a 325 would save me some space and allow for a larger TV. Is there any reason the VS-325's won't work as an LCR combo? I appreciate any insight on this.

It doesn't look like the VS-325C's can be placed vertically. They are curved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magman77 /forum/post/21428073


I have seen many LCR speaker systems, and always had the impression that they were essentially 3 center channel speakers capable of being placed horizontally or vertically. I have some space problems in my new HT set up and using 3 VS-325C's instead of 2 VS-260's and a 325 would save me some space and allow for a larger TV. Is there any reason the VS-325's won't work as an LCR combo? I appreciate any insight on this.

The VS 325 was designed only for center channel use - however, the

VS 224 was designed for Left, Right and Center use.
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/VS-22...shed-P519.aspx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomchess /forum/post/21429303


It doesn't look like the VS-325C's can be placed vertically. They are curved.

The wall mounting bracket allows them to be placed either way, but that doesn't mean that bracket isn't made for other speakers too. So it's do able, just don't if there is a reason I shouldn't. Thanks for your input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/21429522


The VS 325 was designed only for center channel use - however, the

VS 224 was designed for Left, Right and Center use.

Yes, the VS-224 is vented to the front and has 4.5" woofers. The front vent makes sense for LCR speakers. I think most LCR speakers have the smaller woofer so they can be placed on a wall without sticking out the 8" a speaker like the VS-325 will. Plus the 325 weighs 25lbs. too. Clear advantage to the VS-224 as far as mounting and ease of use.


On the other hand I have great flexibility in mounting the speaker. I just don't have a lot of frontal space. I can vertically mount the VS-325 in such a way as to allow lots of open space behind the 2 woofer vents. I'm wondering if having enough room for the vents to work, is what Boston was referring to when they say semi-enclosed placement might produce undesireable sound?


I appreciate your suggestion on the VS-244's. I already have a 325 so I can see the bracket and vents etc. so I know I can mount it successfully. I'm just wondering if there is something else I'm not thinking of, that would make using a designed Center as a Left and Right, the wrong thing to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magman77 /forum/post/21430989


I appreciate your suggestion on the VS-244's. I already have a 325 so I can see the bracket and vents etc. so I know I can mount it successfully. I'm just wondering if there is something else I'm not thinking of, that would make using a designed Center as a Left and Right, the wrong thing to do.

It will be because of the horizontal alignment of the midrange and

tweeter, when you place the 325 vertical. It will throw a irregular

radiation pattern - and will not sound right. The imaging and sound

stage will breakup. The 325 was designed, engineered and voiced

for horizontal placement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Hi,


Im in the process of building a house and I got them to run 7.1 in a 12x13 size room. For a starter setup, I have purchased:


Onkyo NR-709

Polk CS2(center channel)

BIC F-12(Sub)

6x Boston Acoustic Soundware http://www.bostonacoustics.com/SoundWare-P725.aspx


The house will be ready in a couple of weeks, however I have laid all of the components out and connected them just to see if everything works and they do. I really wanted the Soundware XL but I cannot find them anywhere. Would you all say this is a decent starter setup? With recent knowledge, im looking into replacing 2 of the Soundware speakers with 2 Polk RTi4. Will this turn this into a nice setup? Is it best to have all speakers the same freq range?


Thanks in Advance!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp /forum/post/21435979


Hi,


Im in the process of building a house and I got them to run 7.1 in a 12x13 size room. For a starter setup, I have purchased:


Onkyo NR-709

Polk CS2(center channel)

BIC F-12(Sub)

6x Boston Acoustic Soundware http://www.bostonacoustics.com/SoundWare-P725.aspx


The house will be ready in a couple of weeks, however I have laid all of the components out and connected them just to see if everything works and they do. I really wanted the Soundware XL but I cannot find them anywhere. Would you all say this is a decent starter setup? With recent knowledge, im looking into replacing 2 of the Soundware speakers with 2 Polk RTi4. Will this turn this into a nice setup? Is it best to have all speakers the same freq range?


Thanks in Advance!!!

I would at least consider using the Boston A series BS instead of the Polks. In fact I'd rather use 6 A series all around. The A23s are $140 each at Crutchfield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
What do you guys think about the Sony reciever Boston Acoustics combo? I was thinking about 6.5" Horizon sats (on closeout) for my rather small room (11 x 16 ft).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_truelove /forum/post/21436594


What do you guys think about the Sony reciever Boston Acoustics combo? I was thinking about 6.5" Horizon sats (on closeout) for my rather small room (11 x 16 ft).

Which Sony receiver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 /forum/post/21436414


I would at least consider using the Boston A series BS instead of the Polks. In fact I'd rather use 6 A series all around. The A23s are $140 each at Crutchfield.

Thanks for your reply Kini! Can you please explain your reasoning for preferring the A23 over the Polk RTi4? The RTi4 specs seem a little bit better and I can get a pair of RTi4 for $120 while the A23 are $149 each.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp /forum/post/21436695


Thanks for your reply Kini! Can you please explain your reasoning for preferring the A23 over the Polk RTi4? The RTi4 specs seem a little bit better and I can get a pair of RTi4 for $120 while the A23 are $149 each.


Thanks!

IMO it should be a nicer sounding speaker. I've listened to the new RTis and I didn't like them at all. The Boston A series have been reviewed well in the couple of reviews on them.


I would go for the Infinity P series before the Polks. But that's just me. Maybe you'd like the Polk sound up front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/21437264


That will be fine

Thanx! I'm a bit on the fence since I can't give the speakers a listen prior purchase and possibly the Sony + BA combo may turn out a bit bright. Ideas?


Does anyone know why BA's LCRs reach a mere 80Hz at -3dB, btw? I'm trying to decide whether to go with a sat or a LCR for the centre channel. Bass does muddy the dialogue but what the centre doesn't put out the sub will...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_truelove /forum/post/21437363


Thanx! I'm a bit on the fence since I can't give the speakers a listen prior purchase and possibly the Sony + BA combo may turn out a bit bright. Ideas?


Does anyone know why BA's LCRs reach a mere 80Hz at -3dB, btw? I'm trying to decide whether to go with a sat or a LCR for the centre channel. Bass does muddy the dialogue but what the centre doesn't put out the sub will...

Do not buy something if you are not comfortable. The Boston LCR cabinet is

only so big, and that has a lot to do with the bass. And, it was designed to

have a certain overall sound character, and the frequency was chosen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_truelove /forum/post/21437363


Thanx! I'm a bit on the fence since I can't give the speakers a listen prior purchase and possibly the Sony + BA combo may turn out a bit bright. Ideas?


Does anyone know why BA's LCRs reach a mere 80Hz at -3dB, btw? I'm trying to decide whether to go with a sat or a LCR for the centre channel. Bass does muddy the dialogue but what the centre doesn't put out the sub will...

I suspect that in a LCR speaker they use a smaller woofer so the cabinet won't be so deep you can't hang it on a wall. Smaller speaker, smaller cabinet = less bass. LCR speakers also assume a sub-woofer so the designer would know that the smaller speakers 80Hz bottom would be covered.


I have a Sony DA-3500ES and the sound is adequate. Same 100wpc as yours. Better for music than movies IMO.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,168 Posts
Hey all - I recently bought a VS 325 and 2 x VS 260's. I'm comparison them to the Aperion verus grand lineup.


If at some point in the future I wanted to get towers, would howlers from another series (ie RS or VRS) timbre match the VS series, or would I be 'SOL' at that point (assuming VS towers would no linger be available acted from now?)


Thanks in advance,


'ski
 
2221 - 2240 of 3380 Posts
Top