AVS Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 3380 Posts

·
Registered
19,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski /forum/post/21462797

Hey all - I recently bought a VS 325 and 2 x VS 260's. I'm comparison them to the Aperion verus grand lineup.

If at some point in the future I wanted to get towers, would howlers from another series (ie RS or VRS) timbre match the VS series, or would I be 'SOL' at that point (assuming VS towers would no linger be available acted from now?)

The VS towers seem to be gone, only the VS series will timbre match.

The VS 260, will make good front channel speakers - joined with a good

subwoofer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a old pair of Klipsch of sf1 and looking into older BA I was looking at VR-1 found a deal but missed out.I just found a pair of VR 20's for 50 bucks is that a good deal I do not know much about Boston Acoustics thanks for your help.Will be used for front main of home theater mostly HT some music.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had my original Pair of VR 20s since new and have bought 2 more pairs in last 2 years matched with VR12 center in one room and VR10 center in another. These are 2-way speakers but when I demo'd 2-way vs 3-way VR30 I couldn't hear a difference. These are great sounding speakers. Love my BA speakers and would go with nothing else. Great Deal I would have bought another pair for that price.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/21462973

The VS towers seem to be gone, only the VS series will timbre match.

The VS 260, will make good front channel speakers - joined with a good

subwoofer.

Thanks. Sorry about all the typos -- iPad autocorrect.

Edited to add: the Boston's sure are nice. Like I alluded to above, my big fear is if I moved to a bigger place (probably in the next 12 months) and needed towers what i'd do

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys,

Quick help from you.

I am based in india and recently bought a pair of VR2, for centre I am getting CRC7, would it be a match for VR2, has anybody got this combination?

unable to find VRC or other in the region.

Regards

Shashant

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski /forum/post/21471642

Thanks. Sorry about all the typos -- iPad autocorrect.

Edited to add: the Boston's sure are nice. Like I alluded to above, my big fear is if I moved to a bigger place (probably in the next 12 months) and needed towers what i'd do

The vs260 are very capable front channel speakers. Add a quality sub (or 2) and you should be more than fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant /forum/post/21480324

Hi guys,

Quick help from you.

I am based in india and recently bought a pair of VR2, for centre I am getting CRC7, would it be a match for VR2, has anybody got this combination?

unable to find VRC or other in the region.

Regards

Shashant

I think VRC is the speaker designed to match the VR-2 series.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just moved into a new house from a 400 square ft apt and want to set up a surround sound system. Below is what I currently have. I just bought a pair of CS 260II floor standing speakers the other night. I've been happy with BA for the past 10 years or so and wanted to stick with them. So when I found a store that carried them, and had them on sale, I jumped and got the pair for $170 out the door. Hope that's a good deal, as we were not shopping for speakers and I did 5 minutes worth of research on my IPhone. The fiance is still a little "iffy" on the purchase..

Our Family room is completely open to our Kitchen (No wall separating the 2 rooms). And the previous owner had Bose speakers mounted right next to the ceiling in what would be the 2 rear corners of the family room. There is about 8 - 10 inches of speaker wire hanging from the ceiling. And hole still in the wall from where he had his wall mounts. From wall to wall (top to bottom on the attached pic it's just over 40 ft), Family room is just under 18feet. We don't have the furniture yet - but that's what we're planning on getting, as soon as we can agree on a sectional couch.

I haven't looked at anything yet, as buying speakers and setting up the stereo has been pretty low on my list of to do's. UNTIL I got the new CS 260's.

Below is my current setup and after that are a few questions

I currently have a:

- Samsung 42" LCD - looking to upgrading to a new LED and mounting it on the wall above our fireplace

- Denon AVR-2310CI receiver -

- Boston Acoustic CS260 II - Positioned in the 2 front corners of the room on the floor

- Boston Acoustic Micro 80XII Bookshelf- Would like to mount them behind from the ceiling - where the Bose speakers were

- Boston Acoustic PV600 Sub

The attached pic is showing the Family room (not to scale) with the kitchen below.

My questions:

- Can I (will it still sound ok) mount the CS260's in front on the floor and hang the Micro 80's from the ceiling? I'm assuming I would have to angle the rear's down towards the floor?

- Suggestions on Wall mounts? I saw in previous posts a couple recommended - But not sure what to get. Up to now the Micro 80's have been sitting in front of my TV on the stand..

- UMB Wall Bracket

- CRB Swivel mount
- Any suggestion on a center Channel speaker? I want to place this on top of the mantle on the fireplace, but my Vertical will be very limited as we're hoping to get a 60" TV. My fiance want's a BIG TV so she can watch it while in the kitchen I agreed that was a good idea.

- Any recommendations on Side channel speakers? this isn't that important, but who know's maybe I can get a deal on them too. Also should these be mounted the same height as the rears?

- Thought I'd throw in one last question - any recommendations on outside speakers? This is FAR off into the future, but I guess the previous owner has 3 speaker cables positioned outside for sound. I think I found all 3, but won't play with till later.. Just thought I'd drop this in since I was asking a bunch of questions anyways..

thanx all

·
Registered
3,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magman77 /forum/post/21484952

I think VRC is the speaker designed to match the VR-2 series.

Good luck!

It is supposed to match the VR1, VR2 and VR3 speakers that were part of the same line. Its tweeter is essentially the same as the one used on the top line at that time (the VR-M line that comprises 4 of my 5 speakers), which allowed me to mate the VRC with my VR-Ms quite well. Eight years later and I have no desire to upgrade my HT speakers.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/21437610

Do not buy something if you are not comfortable. The Boston LCR cabinet is

only so big, and that has a lot to do with the bass. And, it was designed to

have a certain overall sound character, and the frequency was chosen.

Did buy one pair of HS60 and one of HS40s to be used as fronts and surrs. So far it sounds great. Some news readers may have slightly over accentuated sylables but that's about it.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to go with the HS 225 LCR (and something else as back) or another pair of HS 60s. Would you say the LCR is preferable over a satellite as to how dialogue is presented? I'm currently running one of the HS 40s as centre so in terms of frequency range the 225 should work. Then some movies I have are stereo and even mono so for consistancy I figured 3 identical speakers in front would be ideal. Ideas? Thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magman77 /forum/post/21454565

I suspect that in a LCR speaker they use a smaller woofer so the cabinet won't be so deep you can't hang it on a wall. Smaller speaker, smaller cabinet = less bass. LCR speakers also assume a sub-woofer so the designer would know that the smaller speakers 80Hz bottom would be covered.

I have a Sony DA-3500ES and the sound is adequate. Same 100wpc as yours. Better for music than movies IMO.

Cheers! The BA LCRs tend to have similar woofers as their 5.25" sats/ bookshelves but usually don't go quite as low. Sure they're shallower and narrower but also elongated compared to their sats. Possibly they're tonally tweaked to deliver dialogue on expense of range (?)

I agree with your observation on the Sony's musical character, something I rather like about the receiver actually. I do play a lot of music through my Sony and I rather enjoy how musical soundtracks are treated as well. Something close and delicate about the sound I find.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
What is everyone using for speaker stands for these? I am thinking about purchasing a pair of them (along with the 325 center) for my family room but am not sure what stands to get (given their curved design).

I just ordered some stands for my RC-10's but I know they won't work. I just got to listen to the Boston's in person and I was blown away. I love my RC-10's but the Boston's are in another league and a steal at the price Vanns is selling them for. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_truelove /forum/post/21491975

Some news readers may have slightly over accentuated sylables but that's about it.

I'm currently running one of the HS 40s as centre so in terms of frequency range the 225 should work. Then some movies I have are stereo and even mono so for consistancy I figured 3 identical speakers in front would be ideal. Ideas?

Sound engineering, poor microphone placement and the source - can

play a big part, in voice speaking and singing. You will be surprised

how that can stand out, on more expensive speakers.

3 identical speakers up front, is a solid way to go.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Another question. Will I have any problem driving the VS 260/325 speakers with a Yamaha 667? That's why I used for my RC-10's but I might be inheriting a second one for free. I would like to just use that rather than spend even more money on a second new receiver. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR /forum/post/0

Another question. Will I have any problem driving the VS 260/325 speakers with a Yamaha 667? That's why I used for my RC-10's but I might be inheriting a second one for free. I would like to just use that rather than spend even more money on a second new receiver. Thanks in advance!

Bostons are not usually hard to drive, so that receiver should be fine unless your room is extra large and/or you run your audio at reference levels (in which case towers and a high power separates rig are a better option).

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation /forum/post/21492741

Bostons are not usually hard to drive, so that receiver should be fine unless your room is extra large and/or you run your audio at reference levels (in which case towers and a high power separates rig are a better option).

Thanks. I rarely run my RC-10's very loud. My living room is small. After hearing the Boston speakers today though, I was surprised by them. Again I love my RC-10's but the vs 260's sounded quite a bit better.

·
Registered
19,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR /forum/post/21492723

I use the 667 with my 260 speakers - in an average size room you

will be OK, if you do not play at extreme levels. I am glad that you

like them.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/21492825

I use the 667 with my 260 speakers - in an average size rooom you

will be OK, if you do not play at extreme levels. I am glad that you

like them.

I definitely wouldn't play at extreme levels. As long as I can occasionally crank them up, I will be fine. I normally listen at medium levels because of my kids. I do like to listen at loud levels occasionally when I get the chance though. I am concerned about stands for them because of their unique shape.

·
Registered
19,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR /forum/post/21492843

I definitely wouldn't play at extreme levels. As long as I can occasionally crank them up, I will be fine. I normally listen at medium levels because of my kids. I do like to listen at loud levels occasionally when I get the chance though. I am concerned about stands for them because of their unique shape.

I play them loud - they will be fine on stands, and will sound better

on stands - make sure, that the stands cover the width of the front

and the depth of the back - the rear foot of the speaker is stable.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/21492950

I play them loud - they will be fine on stands, and will sound better

on stands - make sure, that the stands cover the width of the front

and the depth of the back - the rear foot of the speaker is stable.

Do you use a particular stand? Right now I use blue tack underneath my RC-10's for kid reasons. Do you just put a little bit of that (or velcro) underneath to keep them from moving?

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Quick question for Jim (or anyone else for that matter),

first thanks (along with phantomchess) for pointing me in the direction of the VS series -- love them. As much as I liked the Verus Grand's (and I really did like them) I'm keeping the VS 260/325. The Vann's deal has to be one of the best proce
erformance ratio's for a speaker.

Now my question: how do you think the VS 260's would work as rear surrounds? Do you think the rear port would cause issues? (in say, a bookcase?) I'm thinking of getting 2 more to have a complete 5.0 set (for both aoustic reasons and also to have a complete set if I ever chose to sell)

thanks again,

'Ski

2241 - 2260 of 3380 Posts