AVS Forum banner

3341 - 3360 of 3380 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
The VRC is from the same line and shouldn't be underestimated. It's excellent with dialogue but a bit lacking in the bass department which should be expected, given the smaller mid-bass drivers. I have had a few of the the VR tweeter line and still find the VR920 to be the best of them. Given that you have towers, try crossing the VRC a lil higher than 80. ;)
I have successfully mated the VRC with VR-Ms (VR-M60s front L/R and VR-M50s rear L/R). Been going strong for nearly 15 years and I have zero desire to make changes in the speaker department (though, someday in the semi-distant future, I suppose I'll have to consider it if I ever go for something more than 5.1).

I have my VRC crossed at 80 HZ and it sounds fine--I do have a somewhat "near field" array (nothing more than 7 feet from the main listening position, 6 for the VRC) so I don't often push my speakers to the point where any of them might run out of steam.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BT 1 any one have any experience with these speaker. I use them as left and right main. My center is a vr12 love the sound. Want up grade my surround from B &W Solid to Boston Acoustic Cr 95 or another set of BT 1 but these are hard to find. Does anyone have any input or thoughts on the either one of these speaker please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
That was a pricey amp in the day--quite the beast! Has it been serviced recently and up to spec? If all is well, it most certainly will drive the speakers without breaking a sweat. My GFA 545/VR30 combo is very nice, so I think the Integra will really do well with your 950 ' s.
Thanks for your reply mate! I didn't take the amp after all, it was still quite expensive ;), over 1600E without postage!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys I have a BA set up with VR3s and a VR12. I also have a VR920 but I usually go with the 12. Besides the 14 I think it’s the best center BA has made. But it still comes off kind of shoutty. Any ideas on a kick ass center that would match my VR3s well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why don't you buy another VR3 to use as your center ? That's what this guy did, he has 3 Front VR35 from the 1999 THX Kit. :D https://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/1571483079.htm/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just stumbled onto this thread, glad to see other BA fans out there!
My home theater has VR3 fronts, VRC center, VR1 surrounds and VRS surrounds. I have to add the SUNFIRE HRS-12 sub completes the system.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey Boston fans,
I began with a pair of Boston’s a few years ago and built it from there. But I am now getting married and I’m downsizing. I am selling a VR12 asking 150, VR 920 asking 150, and a pair of VR3s asking 400. They are in mint condition except that the VR12s grill will not attach because the pegs broke off. I will send it though so you can try fixing it. Message me if interested or want photos. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 5x VR35 speakers and have seen a cheap pair of VR40s. I can't however buy more speakers unless I sell some. Is it worth selling 2x VR35 for the 2x mint VR40s?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have 5x VR35 speakers and have seen a cheap pair of VR40s. I can't however buy more speakers unless I sell some. Is it worth selling 2x VR35 for the 2x mint VR40s?
For me no. I only use my 35's for movies, which they were designed for. The 40's do sound different(imo) as they were designed for music as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
M / A Series stuff

I know there are better sub options out there, but I've been wanting a second MSub to match my set for quite a while and had about given up. But I found a place on Ebay selling a pallet full of various NEW BA speakers...and it appeared to be my only option for ever coming across an MSub again. Figured I could get my sub and sell the rest and end up spending about what I would on the sub.

Long story short, I'm probably going to have some stuff for sale soon and figured I'd mention it here first to see if there's any interest before going the usual route.
-Pair of M350 (I might keep),M340, A250, two MCenter, 3 MSurrounds, pair of HSI 455, and probably will sell my barely used ASW250 Sub

·
Registered
968 Posts
Wondering if anyone has recent experience with the A26 and A360?

Looking for some inexpensive options for someone else.

Also, has anyone had any warranty/parts experiences with this series since Sound United acquired Boston?

Wondering about replacement driver availability...

-

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
14 years later and the Boston VR3s are still winning me over, have yet to find anything that makes me want to change. Recently picked up a near pristine set of VR3s, so I swapped out my VR1 center for a VR3. Wides, surrounds, and rears remain VR1s, LCR is VR3s.

Getting the itch to chase down some E100s before they disappear forever.

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Steve, your theater is very cool. I must check it out someday. I'm glad the VR3's went to you, my 6 hour round trip drive to get them was worth it. I was very surprised to find a set that are almost like new. Still, my VR955 & VR920 set I really like....but on the prowl for the M350's.

Reactions: audiofan1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, first post here and needing general help with BA speakers.

I've owned a 5.1 setup for years and have just started upgrading. My fronts are CS226's. I just upgraded my center from a VRC to a VR10. I just upgraded my surrounds from CR67's to CR8's (I've got a line on come CR85's that I may grab as well).

Were my upgrade choices thus far actually upgrades?

Second, I'd like to upgrade the fronts but I'm trying to figure out the BA sauce... meaning, what is the hierarchy of their lines of speakers? Are CS's better or worse that the A series, etc, etc. I'm seeing a great deal on A360's on accessories4less right now...

And third, and tying into #2 , do my components currently "match" given that they're jumbled together from various lines?

Thanks so much,
Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello! I'm a new owner of a used pair of Boston Acoustics M340 speakers. While I love my KEF 104aBs, I'm always looking for improvements. Not sure I've found it with the BA, but it's fun to compare and contrast.

This question probably has an obvious answer, but what is the impedance of the BA speakers? A review on the Stereophile website of the similar M350 rates them as 4 ohms and I've come across some other references online that do the same (I'm sorry I can't provide the link because I haven't submitted enough posts). The M series manual lists their floor standing speakers as "Compatible with 8 ohm outputs". My Yamaha integrated amp has a 4 ohm and 8 ohm switch and I'm not certain what the correct setting is for these speakers!

Any help would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all, first post here and needing general help with BA speakers.

I've owned a 5.1 setup for years and have just started upgrading. My fronts are CS226's. I just upgraded my center from a VRC to a VR10. I just upgraded my surrounds from CR67's to CR8's (I've got a line on come CR85's that I may grab as well).

Were my upgrade choices thus far actually upgrades?

Second, I'd like to upgrade the fronts but I'm trying to figure out the BA sauce... meaning, what is the hierarchy of their lines of speakers? Are CS's better or worse that the A series, etc, etc. I'm seeing a great deal on A360's on accessories4less right now...

And third, and tying into #2 , do my components currently "match" given that they're jumbled together from various lines?

Thanks so much,
Scott

Personally, the VR line matches well across the VRM and older VR series. The Micro series also use the VR tweeter. The RS and VS series are more current and also matches well since the utilize the same tweeter. The M series uses this same tweeter but a different one for the center. Most find the center speaker from the line to be the week link. The A series are next and uses the same tweeter as the CS series. My preference is noted in this order. Longtime Boston fan with a few speakers from the VR, RS, and VS lines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
14 years later and the Boston VR3s are still winning me over, have yet to find anything that makes me want to change. Recently picked up a near pristine set of VR3s, so I swapped out my VR1 center for a VR3. Wides, surrounds, and rears remain VR1s, LCR is VR3s.

Getting the itch to chase down some E100s before they disappear forever.
100% baller. :cool:

Good luck finding your E100s. I've always lusted for a pair of those.

My BA speakers: FL/FR --- VR3, C --- Micro 100X, SL/SR --- E70 on stands, SB L/R --- Micro 100X, Z2 L/R --- Micro 100X, Z3 L/R --- Micro 100X

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Scott Tieperman said:
.....Second, I'd like to upgrade the fronts but I'm trying to figure out the BA sauce... meaning, what is the hierarchy of their lines of speakers? Are CS's better or worse that the A series, etc, etc. I'm seeing a great deal on A360's on accessories4less right now...
Classic Series was their low tier bargain offering. Still great speakers that will best most competitors, and I use a pair of the CS260 floorstanding speakers for my living room TV setup, but within Boston's offerings, it was lower end.

It's debatable whether the A series or M series would be next. The goal of the A series was to create a Boston speaker that would be enjoyed in all world markets, not just North America. They used input from Ken Ishiwata from Marantz in Japan as well as a UK team to help voice the final FR. While these were also budget friendly models, their performance is quite high. The M series was more expensive and used the extended wideband dimpled tweeter, a damping layer of adhesive between layers of MDF in the enclosure, and a series of small, basic midwoofers. The only measurements I have seen show a 5db pyramid peak at 120hz and the reviews were not very stunning.

Next up would the Reflection series, or RS. Same tweeter as M series, but flatter low end, and generally more favorable reviews. These didn't stick around the market for very long.

Now here is where things get interesting. Namely, does the ultra wide band tweeter used is the VS line exceed the performance of the VR tweeter used in the VR-M series? If it does, can it also exceed the performance of the VRHO tweeter in the VR and E series? The VS series didn't last very long either, I never got to listen to a pair, and I can't find any VS speaker measurements online, so I can't say for certain.

If we assume it can't beat the VR tweeter, then the VS series falls in line next.

The VR-M series was more expensive and had a beefier cabinet than the VR series, but the VR series had the better tweeter, and they shared the same midrange and woofer compliment. That makes the VR-M series up next, bested slightly on the top end by the VR and E series. The E series had some type of ribbed aluminum with MDF cabinet construction that always intrigued me. Metal in cabinets is a no no because of ringing, but it sandwiched with adhesive and MDF, I think it would be an extremely inert enclosure.

If we assume the UWB tweeter does best the VR and VRHO, then it ranks above the VR-M, VR, and lower tier E series models.

The E-100 speaker is in a class of its own at the top of the heap. It has some line array characteristics, a front firing VRHO tweeter and a rear firing VR tweeter for upper frequency ambiance, and what I imagine would be extremely wide dispersion sound by sticking to the use of smaller diameter drivers with a narrow baffle.

So if we consider the best floorstander in each, I would go:

CS-226
A360 or M350
RS334/326
E70
VS336 or VR-M90 depending on the UWB teeter
VS336 or VR3 depending on the UWB tweeter
E100

3341 - 3360 of 3380 Posts