AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

A side by side comparison of all these speakers took place. We positioned them all to the best of our ability and limited space.

Once setup speakers where covered with GOM and only @Mfusick knew what amps where hooked up to what speakers.

We used identical amps powered by a Pre-Pro. All speakers get level matched at the main LP to be 85db C weighted. With the Pre-Pro set to -0.

As for content We used a loop for each sound clip Letting it play for 20-30's depending on the song and then instantly swapping to a different speaker. MFusick timed the duration of the loop with the 15 seconds it took for the amp to power on as to make an instant swap between speakers while using the same exact clip of music.

All speakers got sent a Pure signal (no eq,dsp) but we did add an 80hz HP filter to all of the speakers. We also used six Stereo Integrity ported @20hz subs set to 85db at the LP as well to fill in the low end. After much debate weather to add subs or not it made the most sense to include them as these speakers where all designed to be played with a subwoofer and in a realistic Home Theater format a subwoofer would (and should) always be used with these speakers.

We were only told the speaker was A,B,C or D. Those values remained a constant and always associated with the same speaker throughout.

Before we started the listening tests we tested our own hearing seeing how high up we could all hear. Which was pretty fun and a tad painful for those of us who could hear above 15khz.

Everyone had a note pad and told what speaker was playing when the speaker changed. It did not always go in order and we made requests to compare a specific one vs another. We ran through each speaker three times or so per song each. Using various material with high recording quality and general music that was easily distinguishable with things we know how they should sound. Like male/female voices, acoustic guitars, drums things of that nature. No one was allowed to make comments about the speakers or weigh any opinion what so ever until the test was over. Trying to make things have no bias and to see if our ears consistently liked one over another.

After we played through several songs and I am sure someone else who went could note exactly how many and the song titles. We decided to hear the speakers again but this time the name of the speaker was noted and not the number. To see if our opinion changed knowing the speaker vs the blind test.

We then revealed what speakers correlated to which letters. No one's opinion changed from knowing the speaker brand to the blind listening. Our order from 1st to forth remained the same.

Now for the general results of the first listening test.

*******I will say this ALL OF THESE SPEAKERS ARE EXCELLENT********
If you own one you should not feel slighted in the least as they are all great and unless you had a direct 1 to 1 comparison I think anyone ( i know I personally) would be very satisfied.

Through unanimous vote we all picked the DIYSOUNDGROUP 1099's as our first pick.

Second pic was hard JTR for some material , PSA for others. We had a difference of opinion on this 3/4 (me being the one who like the JTR)

The JTR somewhat muffled in the mids but had a more neutral sound similar to the 1099.s The PSA a brighter speaker could get somewhat harsh in the treble.

and then Cx12 Be.

The speakers have different characteristics. The 1099's where the least colored and most natural sounding with no notable distortion or blurriness within the music.
The PSA's also clean clear speaker had more of a forward voiced presence. As if the singer was closer to you and the band was further away. Compared to the 1099 that everyone was standing together while playing.
JTR was very similar to the 1099's in the sound stage but we noted it to be a tad muffled on the Mids compared to the others.
CX 12 sounded strong with vocals and seemed to have more of a higher treble and low end signature.

After our minds just got blown we decided to change up the order and move away from STEREO listening to MONO.

We compared the JTR2014, and 2015 side by side with the PSA and 1099.
In this scenario the 1099 we all agreed was our favorite with the 2014 JTR coming in a close second.
We did our best to break in the new 2015 228 and they still may need some more break in as the highs were not as clear on the 2014's.

We did a similar test a few days prior and the RA speaker was our favorite as it was the cx10 Be. We then swapped the CX12 out for the 10 and this made a big difference.
The 2014 228,Cx10 Be and 1099's all sounded excellent. All sounding great and very high volumes the 1099 and the 228 took the cake so to speak but we are talking in excess of 115db easily our SPL meter only went that high. It was so loud the ceiling lights rained down dust and debris like snow from the openings. We all had hearing protection on at this point along with turning the subs up.

I will repeat myself:
ALL OF THESE SPEAKERS WE TESTED ARE EXCELLENT.
Very small differences were noted that took hours of side by side comparison to tell.

We are not suggesting you go out and sell your current speakers for another. This test blind as it may be is the personal opinion of myself and the other folks who heard them.

Your milage may vary.

·
Registered
286 Posts
for future comments.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another point to note is these speakers are somewhat equal but others have a clear advantage. Price aside and solely looking at design. One would expect a 3-way to perform better than a two way speaker.

For people looking to save a bit and like or don't mind a DIY project if you can get a set of 1099's I would highly recommend them.

If you like a brighter speaker wit more emphasis on vocals the PSA210 is a fantastic choice and price aside one of my favorites from the day.

For a well balanced speaker that can play just as loud as the 1099 a excellent turn key speaker is the 228's. We liked both the 2015 and 2014. After much listening I preferred the 2015 over the PSA slightly on most songs. But I did prefer the 2014 JTR over the newer model- as I noted before this could most likely be due to it not having proper break in. Ill play them some more over the next few days and then do another side by side on the JTR's as I still have the 2014's and 15s in my possession.

The Cx 12's were our 4th pick and we all greatly preferred the cx10's. For its smaller size this was excellent. Packed a lot of punch for a single 10" and had excellent sound stage. Between the PSA's and the Cx10's its honestly a hard call. You would be happy with either one having a more forward sound the other a tad more mids with laid back sound. Both great.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hi lemonslush, I thought you guys were going to include the behringer b215xl in the GTG comparison?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi lemonslush, I thought you guys were going to include the behringer b215xl in the GTG comparison?
We didn't have time to add them sadly. We did some testing of them with the CX10's, 228's, QSC's and PSAs. A nice speaker but, found it to be the lesser of all the speakers we tested. Harsher highs, not as detailed as the rest a less realistic soundstage.
That said if you cant afford the PSA or 1099 get the 215xl. Its a pretty decent speaker for the price. Great value but, you will get your moneys worth with the other speakers no questions about it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you saying that the CX-10's sounded better than the CX-12's? Weird.
Substantially better. This was one of the most apparent comparisons made. It seemed louder as well. We went back three times to check the DB readings as everyone in the room couldn't believe it appeared louder than the 12.

My guess is the crossover in the 10 is better configured. Its just a guess though.

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
BTW, you have to blind test the berries with the others for those comments to have merit. Just knowing they are cheap and from Behringer gives a predetermined bias.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, you have to blind test the berries with the others for those comments to have merit. Just knowing they are cheap and from Behringer gives a predetermined bias.
I was not blind but the two other people in the room when we where doing the demo didnt know what was playing. For the record. @Ryansboston can confirm.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Are you saying that the CX-10's sounded better than the CX-12's? Weird.
Yes. Exactly. I much prefered the 10" to the 12" we compared them back to back. Neither could beat the 1099 whom was the third in that group of three, but it was clear and everyone agreed the 10" was better than the 12"

That was one of the interesting parts of the day.

The other was the 2014 to 2015 JTR. Everyone agreed the 2014 was better. I had expected different so that's was surprising to us.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Nice job guys. It sounds like you put a lot of work into this and it appears that it was well organized and well executed. Thanks for the work you did, it's very helpful to read these impressions regarding the different speakers. Well done.:cool:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I kind of had bias towards them when I first heard them. I believe I heard Imagic's and I walked away very impressed. We threw everything at the B215XL's and they took it all and played very well. I was surprised at how well they held together especially with the amp they were being powered with. I believe it was the the Sherbourn PA 7-350 Never did I detect any distortion, which really surprised me. They also sounded pretty good at high volume. They did however sound a bit compressed and did not have the clarity I am use to, but for 40 sawbucks, you really cannot complain.

Surprised to hear the 2014 JTR's were favored over the 2015's. I would think that they would be identical or close to it. My question is, did you guys compare the 228HT's to the 228HTR's?

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
My favorite part of the day was the single JTR vs 1099 mono test, which we took from -10 to +10 on the balanced pre pro. Gain on the Amos was about 80% at this point. I'd guess we sent an honest 400 watts to them and neither seemed to protest.

It was sooooooo loud. The other two speakers tapped out about +4 so I didn't push it by it was obvious the JTR and 1099 both could. I was impressed they stayed so clear and composed at silly excessive volume.

I'll write up a full review of event and some pics when I am on the pc.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I kind of had bias towards them when I first heard them. I believe I heard Imagic's and I walked away very impressed. We threw everything at the B215XL's and they took it all and played very well. I was surprised at how well they held together especially with the amp they were being powered with. I believe it was the the Sherbourn PA 7-350 Never did I detect any distortion, which really surprised me. They also sounded pretty good at high volume. They did however sound a bit compressed and did not have the clarity I am use to, but for 40 sawbucks, you really cannot complain.

Surprised to hear the 2014 JTR's were favored over the 2015's. I would think that they would be identical or close to it. My question is, did you guys compare the 228HT's to the 228HTR's?
I was surprised as well. Only the 228ht's.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Do you guys have any experience comparing the 1099 vs the F15?
We didn't have a fusion 15 there but I would welcome that comparison someday if the opportunity presents itself.

I almost brought my active TD15/seos15 speakers but after I loaded car there was no room. And they big and heavy. Next time those vs 1099 should be a good main event. They are similar to F15 I think.

But I've oly heard the old F15. Never heard V2.0 yet.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
What do you think of those LSR's? LSR305?

1 - 20 of 343 Posts