AVS Forum banner

8401 - 8420 of 13072 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket /forum/post/15077523

I wish I could pick up the signal from WENH or WSBE. I would think that Comcast would be required to carry the WENH DT signal. I wonder if they have the ability to re-broadcast PBS stuff in HD....

In the case of WSBE, no. WSBE's digital channel is split into two 480i subchannels. Thus, it can't even pass through the original HD broadcast. The signal is pretty weak and I can barely get it using an amplified indoor directional antenna. I have no problem getting 6 in New Bedford and 10 in Providence.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Anyone having problems?

Seems like channel 13 is on and off on alternate days almost.

And channel 30 has been unusable at my house 15 miles from the towers for the past month about, but yesterday it seemed back to normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The good news is that WGBH is involved in an HD upgrade in Master Control and by mid January will have a full HD rebroadcast schedule.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have a right to your opinion, but I challenge you on your comment. The WGBH Engineering staff is some of the best technical minds in the market or anywhere for that matter and part of what you call "behind the technology curve" is not a case of not knowing how to implement technology but a lack of funding.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBBP /forum/post/15147800

The good news is that WGBH is involved in an HD upgrade in Master Control and by mid January will have a full HD rebroadcast schedule.

That's good to hear. I hope that the Saturday This Old House* showing will finally be in HD- especially since it originates in the Boston area.

We'll see which happens first- the new "Master Control" or a fixed Mass Pike billboard. I'm hoping for Master Control since TV should be the priority.

* I find it funny that when ever PBS goes into one of their "begging seasons" as I call them, 'GBH stops playing shows that appeal to guys- like TOH, Nova, Frontline etc. and play Yanni, 3 Tenors, Suze Orman etc.- all shows that appeal to women obviously. 'GBH certainly knows who donates... But it ticks me off that they stop playing the shows I like- and so I don't donate. Call it a self fufilling prophecy on the part of 'GBH.

The thought that always crosses my mind- if Yanni, 3 Tenors, Suze etc. are the shows that bring in the money, why aren't they playing those all year long???

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBBP /forum/post/15147894

You have a right to your opinion, but I challenge you on your comment. The WGBH Engineering staff is some of the best technical minds in the market or anywhere for that matter and part of what you call "behind the technology curve" is not a case of not knowing how to implement technology but a lack of funding.

This is only being said jokingly, but if they're so good, why do they keep misidentifying channel 44's digital stations as "WGBH", when its actual call letters are "WGBX"?

And why in the world do they have two IDENTICAL digital versions of channel 2, identical except that one's high def in widescreen, and the other is standard def and broadcast in 4x3? (Should I mention that until recently the high def widescreen version wasn't even being sent out on 2.1 until recently, it having been run on 2.2 up to now, with 2.1 having been used for the standard def version?)

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/15170886

And why in the world do they have two IDENTICAL digital versions of channel 2, identical except that one's high def in widescreen, and the other is standard def and broadcast in 4x3? (Should I mention that until recently the high def widescreen version wasn't even being sent out on 2.1 until recently, it having been run on 2.2 up to now, with 2.1 having been used for the standard def version?)

I wonder if the HD on 2.2 is just a carry over from the time when WGBH was carried on 2.1 and the PBS HD Channel was carried on 2.2. Obviously PBS HD channel was not GBH's primary channel so it would not have made sense to run it on 2.1 which carries the same programming on 2.0, the analog channel.

Also GBH is not unique in simulcasting on two different digital channels. Channel 6 in New Bedford shows the same programming in 1080i and 480i formats on 6.1 and 6.2.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
I think you're right.. 2.2 was not WGBH in HD... it was PBS HD. Now that they're no longer carrying PBS HD, and they are carrying WGBH in HD (cough cough), they've moved the virtual channels around.

None of that gets around the fact that they made the switch from PBS HD to WGBH in HD without the proper equipment in-house. As I said earlier, not even I can see the excuse for that grievous error.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
The WZMY switchover took place at noon.

I recorded it off of Fios till 1215 and as of that time they were still using the old analog signal.

I just got home 20 minutes ago and it is OK now.

cannot get the offair digital signal for beans and I am 15 miles from Derry using a house antenna.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Something tells me going from 5MW to 7.3kW ERP isn't exactly going to provide the meaningful litmus test on DTV transition that everyone was anticipating. Who the heck is running this program anyway?! Oh yeah, silly me, the federal gov't.....my bad. But really, what did they hope to accomplish given the HUGE disparity of signal strength?

On the plus side, there's now 5 megawatts of "surplus" electricity available to folks in southern NH.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G /forum/post/15191011

Something tells me going from 5MW to 7.3kW ERP isn't exactly going to provide the meaningful litmus test on DTV transition that everyone was anticipating. Who the heck is running this program anyway?! Oh yeah, silly me, the federal gov't.....my bad. But really, what did they hope to accomplish given the HUGE disparity of signal strength?

On the plus side, there's now 5 megawatts of "surplus" electricity available to folks in southern NH.

Their off air digital signal seems to be so weak they would be better off running as a subchannel off of Fox.

·
Registered
151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf /forum/post/15191834

Their off air digital signal seems to be so weak they would be better off running as a subchannel off of Fox.

Weak isnt the word .I am in Salem NH and i cant pick up the signal either,

as far as running off a sub on fox .They could but they cant be full power until after the switch over

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
If they wanted to replicate coverage, they should be at least around 250kW. They are also not co-located with any other full-power station which puts them at an even bigger disadvantage (at least as respects Boston and Manchester). They probably would be better off running on a sub of Fox. WFXT is also weak right now, but is 10x stronger than WZMY.

This is not a good "test" of DTV for viewers converting from analog now. Hopefully, they will realize that WZMY is an aberration and not the rule.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
7.3 KW for WZMY-DT?

The ONLY time I could get the signal off the air was when I was also able to gtrab WLCW-DT,the CW affilate for Providence.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv2000 /forum/post/15191922

Weak isnt the word. I am in Salem NH and i cant pick up the signal either

The Boston Globe is running a story today about plans for Boston's stations to run a test next Tuesday:

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...wgbh_can_help/

and ironically, it features a quote from the president of MyTV about their recent changeover:

Quote:
Impatient viewers can already test their TVs for digital compatibility by tuning into MyTV, a Derry, N.H., station that broadcasts in Boston on Channel 18. On Monday, MyTV went all-digital, more than two months ahead of schedule.

Diane Sutter, president of MyTV's owner, Shooting Star Broadcasting LLC, said the changeover has been nearly flawless. "We have had about a half-dozen calls of people with questions," Sutter said. "Our chief engineer's been helping them through."

So I guess their chief engineer has been too busy answering the phone to go out and measure their signal strength in Salem yet.
How 'bout those "impatient viewers" use any of the other Boston stations that are already broadcasting at or near full-power and have been for a couple of years to test their TVs? Looks like the story also mistakenly reported MyTV's Comcast cable channel 18 as its off air channel. "Digital TV Confusing You?" asks the headline. Don't look to the Globe for the right information.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll bet my mortgage (not really) that WBZ goes HD with its local news either Monday or Tuesday of next week, in conjunction with the digital tests being run on Tuesday. Just a gut feeling.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just saw on another message board - radio-info.com - that WLWC channel 28, Providence's CW station, is permanently shutting down their analog transmitter sometime on Tuesday, December 9, 2008. Can anyone confirm this? This is short notice.

Also, sometime next week - I think the 17th - all of the Providence stations will shut off analog transmission for 24 hours.

·
Registered
17,298 Posts
WLWC might want to tell the FCC about this. Stations terminating their analog are supposed to file with the FCC a month in advance, and there's been no filing from WLWC.

- Trip

8401 - 8420 of 13072 Posts