AVS Forum banner

13181 - 13200 of 13234 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
As of the December 2nd update, it appears our friends to the west in the Springfield/Holyoke DMA will soon have some ATSC 3 stations: (they are in the "readying" state)

Deployments - ATSC : NextGen TV

The Boston DMA is on the map to happen soonish. It will be interesting to find out which of our mainstream stations work together to simulcast in ATSC 3. I suspect WHDH and NBC Boston would be unwilling to work together even though Ad Ansin has passed. Hopefully no one is dumb enough to make WGBH's Rf5 the ATSC 3 frequency- no one with mud flap antennas will be able to tune! I've got to think some chunk of subchannels might have to disappear during the 5 year simulcast phase.

I plan to purchase an ATSC 3 HDHomeRun once we have ATSC 3 signals. That reminds me, I need to check into finding out if Plex supports DVR for ATSC 3 via the new model of HDHomeRun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As of the December 2nd update, it appears our friends to the west in the Springfield/Holyoke DMA will soon have some ATSC 3 stations: (they are in the "readying" state)

Deployments - ATSC : NextGen TV

The Boston DMA is on the map to happen soonish. It will be interesting to find out which of our mainstream stations work together to simulcast in ATSC 3. I plan to purchase an ATSC 3 HDHomeRun once we have ATSC 3 signals. That reminds me, I need to check into finding out if Plex supports DVR for ATSC 3 via the new model of HDHomeRun.
Last I saw, the plan was to launch a 3.0 feed of WFXQ-CD (which up to this point was just a simulcast of WWLP) tomorrow. I won't be able to get it myself because I couldn't get the HDHomeRun 4K because of financial reasons, so I'm not getting my hopes up for anyone else in the area getting it, since even now New England isn't exactly an OTA hotbed. Too many mountains cutting into reception.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Last I saw, the plan was to launch a 3.0 feed of WFXQ-CD (which up to this point was just a simulcast of WWLP) tomorrow. I won't be able to get it myself because I couldn't get the HDHomeRun 4K because of financial reasons, so I'm not getting my hopes up for anyone else in the area getting it, since even now New England isn't exactly an OTA hotbed. Too many mountains cutting into reception.
According to Wikipedia, WFXQ is NBC & CW? It will be interesting to learn of those are the only two networks that will have ATSC 3 for your area for now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can check ALL of the Springfield, MA listings for network affiliations on RabbitEars here...

And yes, it looks like WFXQ-CD is the only NexGen (ATSC 3.0 or DCA3 designation) in the Springfield MA TV market right now. Click on call letters in list to see network listings for each station. Click on Technical Data for each station listing to see transmitter & tower information.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

·
Registered
43 Posts
I lost a lot of stations last night during the storm, but then again my antenna was caked with snow. Also with so much moisture in the air last night I'm sure it had a damping effect on the propagation of the broadcast signal. I cleaned off my antenna and everything is back to status quo this morning.
We didn’t have any snow in my area - just rain - and WBZ was the only one that was noticeably bad, while others on the same tower (WCVB, for example) were fine.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That list is highly outdated, many of the stations on that list completed their post-repack facilites months ago (or over a year ago in WNYW's case), including most of the Boston stations which filed for their licenses to cover back in July.

And it's also not because those stations have since filed for increases when the application freeze was lifted a few weeks ago. Not only are those applications still pending and not granted, several of the ones they list as not completed, including WSBK, are not filing for increases.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That list is highly outdated, many of the stations on that list completed their post-repack facilites months ago (or over a year ago in WNYW's case), including most of the Boston stations which filed for their licenses to cover back in July.

And it's also not because those stations have since filed for increases when the application freeze was lifted a few weeks ago. Not only are those applications still pending and not granted, several of the ones they list as not completed, including WSBK, are not filing for increases.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what was taking so long for stations to be granted power increases, etc. I didn't realize there was a minor modification freeze in place.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did look at that , but its a really great,but expensive solution. I actually have a ham radio coax relay switch that I used years ago,and thought I could connect that to a wireless sender device (like I have for my garage door). But it has ham connectors,and even with the right adapters, would not be low loss at the OTA frequencies
The televes The T-Force Auto Preamp (2 input) is something you may be interested instead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks jimbobup1, I have already completed my wireless A/B switcher. I used a used rf relay switch that someone pointed me to. I integrated a $14 ebay wireless transmitter and receiver. Combined with a used 12v dc power pack, I spent $25. It works great--depending on weather , wind or snow, I can switch between an attic antenna and an outdoor UHF cheapie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has WGBH reduced their power? It’s been rock-solid for me since (just before) the announced power increase, but has been breaking up the last day or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is anyone else in "fringe areas" having trouble with WHDH Channel 7 this morning (12/20)? Pretty much always one of my most solid stations out here in the wilds of Spencer, MA. Absolutely nothing this morning.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Channel 7 is fine for me, but I'm see troposphere skipping this morning picking up stations from Rhode Island here in New Hampshire...this might be causing localized interference.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That would be Fave TV, a new diginet CBS has (soft) launched on its O&Os. It's basically movies and reruns of Viacom cable reality shows.
Decades, StartTV, DABL and now Fave. Pretty sad pattern. They seem to launch a new sub-channel every 2 years with a batch of reruns that are cut even shorter to allow more commercials. Meanwhile they have CBS All Access which is supposed to have new content, but has not interested me since Picard. What will become of CBS?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Decades, StartTV, DABL and now Fave. Pretty sad pattern. They seem to launch a new sub-channel every 2 years with a batch of reruns that are cut even shorter to allow more commercials. Meanwhile they have CBS All Access which is supposed to have new content, but has not interested me since Picard. What will become of CBS?
If they think they are going to force me or all the cord cutters to "All Access" they are mistaken especially if its not free streaming.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I liked Decades. I like DABL and StartTV too. Don't know what Fave is all about, but I welcome additional programming.

The Tiffany Network is famous for popular programming. Their last hit was Big Bang Theory. There will be more. I expect these to come over the air. All Access is a great vehicle for their classic and neoclassic archive with a healthy dose of niche original programming.

Broadcast television is popular programming. Something new comes along, it becomes a hit, then it becomes a platform with spinoffs, clones, and syndication. There are periods when 'pop' programming doesn't suit one's tastes. (There's nothing on for me right now.) Fortunately, there are dozens of channels of alternative programming to tide us over to the next wave. House, JAG, MacGyver, Monk, and Nash Bridges just on H&I!

CBS is and will be fine. I suspect Chuck Lorre is already working on a new sitcom vector. ABC and NBC, on the other hand, seem to be floundering. The Reboot Network would crush Sunday nights with a Wonderful World of Disney resurrection. They don't seem to care about their OTA programming at all. I'm not even sure NBC is still on the air...

13181 - 13200 of 13234 Posts