AVS Forum banner

13221 - 13234 of 13234 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I share your cynicism. Boston was supposed to have ATSC 3.0 by the end of 2020.

Hype aside, ATSC 3.0 does have some technical benefits I’m looking forward to. Most importantly, 8VSB is replaced by OFDM. That should improve reception for all of us. Also, HEVC encoding is more capable.

I backed the Silicon Dust ATSC 3.0 network tuner Kickstarter project last summer. I gotta tell you, that tiny network tuner box is the best 1.0 tuner I’ve ever had, far surpassing high end Samsung sets. Even without 3.0 signals, it blows me away.

If it turns out that an ATSC 3.0 tuner is more selective and more sensitive even with only a 1.0 signal, that’s reason enough for 3.0 to succeed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't back the HD Homerun kickstarter program, but I purchased the 4K Quattro model in November. I run it concurrently with the previous generation HD Homerun Quattro and like Yobyot find that the newer model is more capable of pulling in today's stations. Anybody think that Boston will beat Providence in breaking out ATSC 3.0 in the region.

The newer model pulls in 2 Providence/New Bedford stations (6.1 and 10.1) while aimed at and receiving all the Boston majors, The older model pulled Providence/New Bedford from S Weymouth when aimed directly at Boston. While I'm in show me mode for the ATSC 3,0 picture mode - I'd be ecstatic if 3.0 boosted our access to more OTA stations that are on the fringe today,

To piggyback on Channel 99's thoughts on how good a tuner will be included in the new TV rollouts. I'm in show me mode today (with the Quattro 4K on hand) to show me on any 4K tv in my house what the reality of ATSC 3.0 will be.

·
Registered
129 Posts
People that are OTA viewers only will have more money to spend on the advertisers products. No $250/month satellite/cable bills not to mention if they are not OTT and internet subscribers in addition. I wonder if the advertisers looked at this?

·
Registered
140 Posts
People that are OTA viewers only will have more money to spend on the advertisers products. No $250/month satellite/cable bills not to mention if they are not OTT and internet subscribers in addition. I wonder if the advertisers looked at this?
This is just conjecture, but I think they're logic is that OTA viewers are either dirt poor or just cheapskates, which means they won't buy their products. It's something I think is unfair, but that's just how the world is sometimes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
"The older model pulled Providence/New Bedford from S Weymouth when aimed directly at Boston"

Meant to say, the older model pulled Prov/NB from S. Weymouth only when aimed directly at Providence.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What will this mean for WSBK? More power/reach? Also is this a Trump or Biden admin decision? Is this something that is likely to stick?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Even though they are allowed to use DTS repeaters to exceed the contour of their main signal, they still have to protect other full power and Class A stations from interference.

For WSBK specifically this likely doesn't mean much for most viewers since they are limited to protect WFXQ-CD in Springfield, along with adjacent channel WBPX-TV who transmits from a tower in Hudson instead of Needham. So they can't really do anything to reach Worcester and points west better, but if they wanted to, they might be able to add DTS repeaters to better serve the cape and Manchester areas as long as WBPX adds DTS repeaters at the same time since any new repeater on RF 21 would create additional interference to WBPX's RF 22 signal for people in the vicinity of that repeater.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for this docket was introduced April 1, 2020. The Commission adopted the order January 13, 2021 and was released January 19, 2021. As someone who deals with the FCC quite a bit, I see no reason why it won't stick.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thank you both for your insights. Looking forward to the blossoming of ATSC 3.0 while very concerned about all the obstacles to its success.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone else lost WSBE Channel 36.1 Providence? A week ago it dropped off my Tablo and TV tuners. I still get channels 2.1 and 44.1 with 5 bars, so I don't think my VHF antenna has failed.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
36.1 is a channel I rarely watch, but seeing this post I just went and checked. It is coming in as well as it always has since the repack in northern RI.

Your Obedient Servant
SMK

·
Registered
11 Posts
36.1 is a channel I rarely watch, but seeing this post I just went and checked. It is coming in as well as it always has since the repack in northern RI.

Your Obedient Servant
SMK
Thanks for checking! When I did get it I only got it with two bars but it was enough for a solid picture. Being in Marshfield I think I'm at the signals limit.

13221 - 13234 of 13234 Posts