AVS Forum banner

13321 - 13338 of 13338 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm new on this thread. I'm in Central MA, wondering when Boston will go ATSC 3.0? The next gen map doesn't show Boston readying broadcasts yet? Is there another way to find out if there is any progress?
I'm new on this thread. I'm in Central MA, wondering when Boston will go ATSC 3.0? The next gen map doesn't show Boston readying broadcasts yet? Is there another way to find out if there is any progress?
Boston is supposed to be one of the markets getting ATSC 3.0 this year.

But then it was supposed to be last year, too.

If there's a way to find out when we're getting ATSC 3.0 and from whom, I haven't found it. I think some FCC database somewhere would have an application for the broadcasts but I haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Boston is supposed to be one of the markets getting ATSC 3.0 this year.

But then it was supposed to be last year, too.

If there's a way to find out when we're getting ATSC 3.0 and from whom, I haven't found it. I think some FCC database somewhere would have an application for the broadcasts but I haven't found one yet.

I post this list over and over....I guess no one seems to know how to find it>>>

Reactions: Brian in CT

·
Registered
65 Posts
But I didn’t ask for a list of exisiting ATSC 3.0 stations. Instead, I said it was hard to find the list of stations who’ve applied for permission to launch 3.0.

I did eventually find a way to quiet LMS to sorta, kinda get an idea of stations that have applied. But no Boston stations have yet.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
That list does have stations that have applied. The ones that have applied but not launched are in green.

- Trip

Reactions: pnkflyd51

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kinda any combination of surprising / odd / disappointing / and yet maybe understandable that there aren’t ANY PBS stations on the ATSC3.0 rollouts. They were like the pioneers of HD & ATSC1.0. Are they just rolling and seeing how others handle this transition? Is it mostly seen as a thing for sports here in the early goings... which PBS doesn’t have?

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Except for KOPB, WUNC, KNMD, and KAET. They're all in or scheduled to move to 3.0.

- Trip

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
In Boston, PBS has one HD channel on UHF and another on VHF-low. Create and Kids are in SD are UHF. World is SD on VHF-low. In New Hampshire, WENH has main programming and Explore in HD plus World, Create, and Kids in SD on VHF-high.

Not a big deal -- it's pretty rare my dial stops on PBS. Lack of support for Free TV should be a consideration when funding is reconsidered.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I guess I'm not surprised that Boston stations aren't rushing to ATSC 3.0 considering all of the difficulties they went through implementing the repack. It's still disappointing though.

We are heavy PBS watchers and I wish we had better than SD on the subchannels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone know what happened to WCVB? It had been coming in strong but the last couple of days it has dissappeared. Very weak to no signal. All of my other Boston stations are fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since the repack a couple years ago I've been unable to receive WSBK Channel 38 (rf 21). Suddenly Saturday I started receiving it. Anyone know if there was any change to 38's broadcast facilities. I'm definitely in a fringe reception area (Spencer, MA West of Worcester).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Since the repack a couple years ago I've been unable to receive WSBK Channel 38 (rf 21). Suddenly Saturday I started receiving it. Anyone know if there was any change to 38's broadcast facilities. I'm definitely in a fringe reception area (Spencer, MA West of Worcester).
I see no change in signal strength, most of the time an dramatic increase in signal strength is due to atmospheric skipping and if the latter is the case it won't last.

·
Registered
582 Posts
WSBK transmits from the same antenna at the top of the CBS Tower in Needham as WBZ, WCVB, WBTS-CD, and WUTF, but with lower power. However, if you receive the others OK consistently, it would probably not require much antenna improvement to also receive WSBK.

·
Registered
428 Posts
WSBK (RF 21) is co-channel with WFXQ-CD in Springfield. In your area, they would typically cancel each other out. Now that WFXQ-CD has started broadcasting in ATSC 3.0, you may see more of WSBK from time to time. It all depends on how ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 TV signals on the same frequency interact with each other.

·
Registered
582 Posts
WSBK (RF 21) is co-channel with WFXQ-CD in Springfield. In your area, they would typically cancel each other out. Now that WFXQ-CD has started broadcasting in ATSC 3.0, you may see more of WSBK from time to time. It all depends on how ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 TV signals on the same frequency interact with each other.
Interesting thought - ATSC 3.0 vs 1.0. The coverage maps show that WSBK should be much stronger than WFXQ-CD in Spencer, but hilly territory could affect that, plus the directionality of the antenna being used.
GreatGoogly, have you tried checking your address at RabbitEars.info? Especially to see the relative signal levels of the WSBK and WFXQ-CD.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Interesting thought - ATSC 3.0 vs 1.0. The coverage maps show that WSBK should be much stronger than WFXQ-CD in Spencer, but hilly territory could affect that, plus the directionality of the antenna being used.
GreatGoogly, have you tried checking your address at RabbitEars.info? Especially to see the relative signal levels of the WSBK and WFXQ-CD.
In ATSC 1.0, I've read that a stronger co-channel needs to be VERY MUCH stronger than the weaker co-channel for the former to lock in and decode over the latter (I forgot the exact margin, but it's quite high). This margin might be less in a ATSC 1.0 vs. 3.0 scenario, because it DEFFINATELY IS in a 3.0 vs. 3.0 scenario (one of many improvements with ATSC 3.0 broadcasting).

Back in the early aughts, I remember some early HDTV adopters claiming to decode ATSC 1.0 TV signals over weak co-channel analog ones. Greatgoogly might be experiencing something similar. I would like him to do a RabbitEars signal search, too.

·
Registered
582 Posts
In ATSC 1.0, I've read that a stronger co-channel needs to be VERY MUCH stronger than the weaker co-channel for the former to lock in and decode over the latter (I forgot the exact margin, but it's quite high). This margin might be less in a ATSC 1.0 vs. 3.0 scenario, because it DEFFINATELY IS in a 3.0 vs. 3.0 scenario (one of many improvements with ATSC 3.0 broadcasting).

Back in the early aughts, I remember some early HDTV adopters claiming to decode ATSC 1.0 TV signals over weak co-channel analog ones. Greatgoogly might be experiencing something similar. I would like him to do a RabbitEars signal search, too.
Trying a few locations near Spencer showed a lot of variation in the strength of Boston stations, so a specific address search is really needed.

13321 - 13338 of 13338 Posts