AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**I'm going to start this brief review by saying that I am, by nobody's measure, an audiophile of any sort. I had a zillion ear infections as a kid, and while I'm not deaf or anything, I have a decided lack of library-voice. Ok, onward and upward:

I have been looking for a budget but decent sounding sound bar for a couple months now. It was being installed with a new 51" Sammy in a rectangular bedroom measuring 11'-5" ft. x 15'-7" - essentially an ideal space for a sound bar I believe. I had been interested in the following bars before settling on the Boston TVee 25 due to a sale at BB: The Sony CT-150/350, Polk 6000, and Panasonic HTB-520. The wired sub with everything plugging into the sub on the Sony is, for lack of a better word, stupid. It wouldn't work with the layout. The Polk was a little pricey for my liking, and for every good experience listening to the Panny, I'd have one where I thought it sounded tinny. Plus there isn't much info on the Panny out there to go on. Cue the BB sale for the Boston 25, and here we are.

Ok so the preamble might be longer than the actual review
, but connecting it up was a cinch..optical out of the TV into the bar, with my Sammy BR player into the TV via HDMI (no HD cable box in the bedroom...yet). I wall mounted the bar right below the TV, and I placed the sub in the corner of the room about 10 ft away, along the same wall. It's very easy to program your existing remotes to control the bar as well. Anyway, popped in War of the Worlds blu-ray and let her fly, after a fashion.

My initial impressions have been decidedly underwhelming. It should come as no surprise that the "virtual surround" is a gimmick; even in a good 4-wall rectangular environment, there's next to no wraparound effect from any listening position - it didn't matter if the soundbar was set in Movie or Music Mode. However, that didn't really bother me too much, as..well..it's a bedroom for chrissakes. My disappointment was with the muddy sounding dialogue from the bar. I would characterize the sound out of the bar as extreeeemley mid-range heavy, with next to no upper frequency production. Consequently, dialogue was very muffled and indistinct. I don't like bright speakers, but I'd like SOME highs please
Maybe this has to do with it only being a 2.1 instead of a 3.1 system? Low range is ok at best...pretty boomy and unrefined..although I wasn't expecting too much from a 6.5" sub.

I experimented with placing the sub in different places around the room, with some improvement. A pet peeve of mine too is front grille, which is cheaply attached to the bar body via some plastic locating pins that don't seat very well inside the mating holes.

So, overall I don't believe it's even worth the sale price I paid, so I'm taking it back. It was less than $300 with tax which, while good, is still not an insignificant chunk of change. For around that price, I expect a lot more bang for my buck. My conclusion: skip it. My dilemma now is, what to try in its place?

Any feedback or questions would be welcome...it's entirely possible I effed something up, or forgot to include some helpful info for any aspiring purchasers out there.

Steve

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
My 2 cents,,, get the Polk 6000 or the new Polk 4000 might be even a better choice for a bedroom.

Your not the first review I have read of some one saying the Boston sounded muddy or they were not happy with the overall sound, tone and lack of surround effects.

The Polk 4000 is around 350.00 as I recall and if it sounds half as good as the 6000 it should be perfect for a beroom application.

If you read around the soundbar threads you'll see I have demoed a ton of soundbars (at home),, and one of my top picks is the Polk.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I've learned quite a bit about the highs and lows of sound bars just reading your posts
, so credit where credit's due. I think I'll try to save up for the Polk 6000, or see where I can find the new 4000, as you suggest. I've always found Polks a bit bright for my taste, so I thought the Boston might be the better option...guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1717 /forum/post/20832999

Ya I've learned quite a bit about the highs and lows of sound bars just reading your posts
, so credit where credit's due. I think I'll try to save up for the Polk 6000, or see where I can find the new 4000, as you suggest. I've always found Polks a bit bright for my taste, so I thought the Boston might be the better option...guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the kind words Steveo.

The best price I have seen so far on the Polk 4000 is here at Crutchfield.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zazYHX0...e-Theater.html

Cheers

Davyo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.