AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currnently have Boston Vr3 front speakers. The "technical" match for them is the vrc. It has the v.r.h.o tweeter, a 4 1/2" mid and two 4 3/4" bass drivers and a 93db sensitivity. My vr3's have the same mid and tweeter. I went to Tweeter the other day and they had a used vr920 for 300$. I have always heard that the 920 was a great center and it was 100$ less than a brand new vrc. The 920 has the Lynfield tweeter, a 3 1/2" mid and to eliptical shaped 4x6" bass drivers and a 90db sensitivity. It seamed like a lot more speaker than the vrc. I tried them both out and thought the 920 sounded a bit better. The vrc sounded good and played louder in its' own respect. I wound up getting the 920.

The speaker is replacing a micro 90II center than had a Lynfield tweeter, no mid and two 3 1/2" bass drivers. Upon setting up the 920 at home I have not heard a huge difference between my old center and new center when it comes to dialogue. I know a lot of this is because they have the same tweeter but is it also because my old center had two 3 1/2" bass drivers and the new one has a 3 1/2" mid? The 920 has the two 4x6" bass drivers but they just do not seem to add the depth to the dialogue I was hoping for. The 920 is way better for action scenes then my old one however.

With all of that said, my real question is, with the vrc, will its' 4 1/2" mid give dialogue noticably more depth than my 920 with its' 3 1/2" mid". My real reason for upgrading my center is to add a lot to the dialogue. Any help you can offer would be great as my time to return the speaker is comming to an end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.