AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem itself isn't major but's what happening behind the scenes could be.

Since new, my most least used 5040, if left on, would be in an unusable state if I went to watch it, say in the morning. It would be virtually frozen (picture) and the sound would be jumpy and repeating. Simply powering it off and on, and it would be fine (clear it's buffer). This has happend almost since new (say 4 weeks) about 75% of the time.

Now today my mostly used 5040 (8 weeks old) which has never done this before has started doing it. It was nearly full with just 5 hours left. After being left on for 3 hours it was doing the same thing. I could still go to the menus etc., and I could even press display to see there was 2 hours remaining in the buffer but the picture had pretty much frozen (1 frame every 2 seconds) and the sound was like a scratched CD (where it repeats). Switched off and on and voila, all OK.

So what gives ? Perhaps like any disk, every 4 weeks this baby should do a defrag or something - if that's the problem.

The fact this can be turned off and on fixes it is fine and on the first unit I'd pretty much accepted it. I'd still accept it on both if I knew what the unit was struggling with. But it could be pointing to a disk problem, right ? Now it's on both, I'm concerned that as the unit gets older and older, it's going to get worse and worse. I've seen other skips whilst streaming but I'm tending and hoping to believe this is something that can be fixed with software since now both units are doing it.

My 40 hour showstopper *never* did this once in the 18 months I had it.

Any other 5040 users out there seeing this ? What about 4xxxx

·
Registered
615 Posts
Do you have your Replays stacked on top of each other and/or other equipment.

If they are, it could be overheating causing your problem.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do. I can move them to the top of the stacks and try that. Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of that and heat has a weird way of showing problems so this is plausible (let's hope).

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
You mean unplug them, right?
Well that's certainly convenient? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
True.

I doubt power off has much effect on heat. I've never noticed any heat issues involving my 5000.

Of course it's possible during power off some chips may see reduce load and cool down?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Both of mine do this periodically.

Although on the one that did it the worst, I reset the factory defaults and it's much better than it was. I suspect it's a bug in the software.

In my case it's most certainly NOT a heat issue.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I know the Replays never fully shut off but they definitely draw more current when on and buffering live TV. If you don't believe it just put an amp meter to your ReplayTV. More current = more heat. I am not saying that heat is at the heart of the issue being observed but the Replays do use more juice when buffering than when "off".

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I had a 3060 do the same thing. I use it constantly and 1 night I noticed record did not kick on when due. I could turn it on and off, get into menus, but couldn't select anything. Reboot and it was OK. Hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
So you're saying to have the unit stop buffering live tv.. the easiest way that I know:

Playback recorded show.

Press Pause.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
And if you have disk spindown disabled it'll continue buffering even when in the OFF (standby) mode. Randy's method is the one that works best for me. Although it does revert back to buffering after recording a show; but only on my (originally) 3060, doesn't do that on the (originally) 3030 nor the 2020. I don't know why the different functionality between the 3060 and 3030 since, for all I know, they're identical machines running the same software.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm convinced now it's not heat. The devices seem to cool very well. They were stacked inbetween different devices but almost cold to the touch (ok, hardly warm). The one downstairs I moved to having nothing above or below it, it made no difference.

Just leaving it switched off (i.e. dim the solor elcipse *blue* light) when not being watched doesn't generate the problem because it's linked to 'live' recording. And besides switching off and on or changing channels makes the skipping etc., go away.

I feel also that it's a software bug to do with either how it performs as the disk fills up or is fragemented *or* possibly how bad it is at skipping errors it finds on the disk. Don't todays PC's automatically mark and ignore areas of disks giving problems ? Since we see a couple of people with the problem along with my 2 devices, and the devices are new, I do think it's something simple like this... Could that be plausible ?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Why wouldn't you turn it off when not in use?

The machine is still "on". Will still record, do it's guide check, even check for new programing periodically. But isn't using as much energy. It also does it's regular maintanence boot at a convenient time. When off.

This is the same as the computer argument: don't shutdown. Even a server needs to be rebooted on occassion. And a regular computer will function more reliably if shut down when not in use. I suspect the same is true of a RePlay.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's no reason to NOT switch it off when not in use. Teaching my wife and 2 kids to turn it off (and the lights and the Air and the....) is another story :)

My real point though was trying to find the real cause. Saying turn it off is a little like going to the Doctor and saying, "My arm hurts if I lift it up" and the Doctor replies, "well don't lift it up then". :p We'll see what SB do with the next few upgrades, who knows they might know about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.