AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Sharp z9000 projector, and am looking at getting HD DirectTV. What should I get. I've seen lots of info and comparison on the Sony and Zenith products.

Pros/Cons of each? Or are there others I should consider?

Thanks!

Drew

·
Banned
946 Posts
I totally agree with bmello. However, for me it is the Sony HD100 and the new Sony HD200, for ease of use (switching between 480i for Directv and 1080i from the remote), picture quality and looks.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Ok then which Directv HD receiver has the most pros?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I don't understand the purpose of being able to switch between resolutions/formats. Wouldn't you just want to leave it on one resolution, say 720p, for everything?

Also, if using the VGA out from the DirectTV HD receiver (say the Zenith), do you also need to connect the s-video out for standard satellite (480i)? Or can you get both from the VGA out and the receiver will send whatever resolution it receives?

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have a sony hd200. one reason i like to switch formats is because some of the locals broadcast 1080i 4:3 content and if you try to have it fill the screen it will bark at you "aspect ration cannot be changed.." so you i have to downconvert to 480p and let the tv stretch it. i believe many STBs do not allow you to change the aspect ration on HD content.

i do not know about other STBs in regards to this, but on the hd200 you nedd to have the composite or svideo hooked up to view 480i. all the variable modes (the modes most people probably use, i use variable 2) will output all 480i/480p content as 480p and it looks quite good.

my pioneer tv automatically converts all 480i input to 480p so i have no reason to use 480i.

the zenith hd-sat520 and the sony sat-hd200 are both made by zenith, the only differences are the appearance and the remotes. imho, the sony looks much nicer.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Other differences between the Zenith 520 vs. Sony HD200 is Sony includes a DVI cable (but more expensive) and Zenith users have posted problems using IR extenders due to shiny front cover (only issue if STB is behind closed doors).

I purchased the HD200 after much research and look forward to its arrival Saturday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.