AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And before lizard_boy chimes in, I did search the FAQ, and also checked the 4500 series home page, and the feature list seems identical to the 5xxx. Given the apparent quantity of lemon 5xxx units, I'm starting to second guess my 5040 purchase from Amazon a while back.

Is it picture quality?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
better picture quality

slower processor

lower build quality

no front controls

big bright blue light

(i'm willing to bet i could easily find a 1/2-dozen threads in which this has already been discussed :p)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I bought a 4500 and was dissappointed with the picture. I returned it and got a much 5040 and the picture quality was much improved.

However, as many others have found, my 5040 has been buggy. I was one of the first ones produced and I think they have some of the early problems ironed out by now.

If I had to do it over again, I would still go with a 5040 simply because of the picture quality.

-Sean

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Has anyone done a quality comparison of the mpegs from a 4K versus a 5K as extracted by dvarchive and played back on the same equipment - say a software dvd player on the PC? I'd like to know if the improved picture quality is in the encoder or in the decoder or both.,

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JerryW
Has anyone done a quality comparison of the mpegs from a 4K versus a 5K as extracted by dvarchive and played back on the same equipment - say a software dvd player on the PC? I'd like to know if the improved picture quality is in the encoder or in the decoder or both.,
I have both a 4080 and a 5040

I RARELY use standard "quality" on my 4080, but us the same setting on my 5040 a majority of the time.

When I DVArchive shows to my PC and play them back using Sonic Cinemaster (via Windows Media Player) there is still a huge quality difference. The 5040 rocks - the 4080 does NOT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.