AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from purchasing a 50" Panasonic Plasma television (TH-50PX80U). I had been looking at this set for a while but couldn't ever find it on sale enough to really make me pull the trigger....until today!!! It was "double on sale" so I really had no choice but to pull the trigger...just practicing for what I'm going to say to my wife

This is my first HDTV and my first television over 32". It's going to be delivered next Wednesday and I can't wait!

The one thing I worry about is "burn-in" from playing video games (Wii, PS2, Dreamcast) for a couple hours at a time.

So I'm hoping you can give me some advice on how not to mess this television up.

Such as:

1) How to go about getting the best picture possible out of the set (medium to low lighting level, mainly television, very few movies, video games)? I chose not to pay the extra $200 for the calibration.

2) How to "break it in" so as to reduce the risk of 'burn-in'?

3) How to take care of it in general?

And anything else I need to know to get the most out of my new 50" Plasma television!!!

I just can't believe a television that large is actually going to be sitting in my house...WOW!!!!

Thanks for all the help you've given me over the past few days (I know, with all my posts it seems alot longer).

Your knowledge, expertise, and willingness to take you time to help a HD-illiterate person like me is greatly appreciated!!!

HMArndtGolf

·
Registered
501 Posts
You're going to get a boat load of opinions on this forum. Follow your owners manual. The manufacturer designed and manufactured the set. They know best. If the manual doesn't answer your questions, call Panasonic tech support. I'm certain they would be glad to help.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMArndtGolf /forum/post/14311165

The one thing I worry about is "burn-in" from playing video games (Wii, PS2, Dreamcast) for a couple hours at a time.

The first thing that you should do is turn off the Vivid setting and at a minimum calibrate using a THX DVD (Star Wars or other).

Second thing to do is get an HD console such as the PS3 or XBox 360.

Third thing to do is ignore all the burn-in forum posts and enjoy your plasma.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I assume that you can receive HD channels. I will never install a HDTV unless the owner has the cable/ satellite HD box in place or, at least, has a HD picture available from a PS3 or Blu-ray player source. An antenna for over the air is fine too.

Listening to your spouse complainig about how lousy the Standard Definition channels look can take away all the pleasure of your purchase.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norde /forum/post/14311602

I assume that you can receive HD channels. I will never install a HDTV unless the owner has the cable/ satellite HD box in place or, at least, has a HD picture available from a PS3 or Blu-ray player source. An antenna for over the air is fine too.

Listening to your spouse complainig about how lousy the Standard Definition channels look can take away all the pleasure of your purchase.

There is that and there is also, I don't like the look of the outside bezel, the remote is to big and my favorite I hate everything about this TV. I have dealt with my couples and have heard these quotes many a tmes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts