AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mitsubishi HC7900 finally bit the dust with about 20K hours on it, lamp exploded and I suspect it hurt the ballast as no glass shards left the lamp housing. I am attempting repairs buts that's another story. I purchased a BenQ 3550 as a replacement and here are my impressions. First of I was very disappointed in the black level/contrast compared to the Mits. Playing 1080p SDR/BT709 content the same as I had on the Mits, the Mits just trounced it in contrast. Stepping up to 4K HDR converted to SDR/BT709 by MadVR did nothing for me either and I was considering returning it. I was having difficulty getting any HDR/BT2020 to play until I figured out my JVC RS49U was holding it back since it was plugged into the second HDMI port of my Denon 4500 even with an Hdfury intregral making it HDCP 2.2 compliant but after unplugging it the magic started to happen. The contrast/black level improved considerably with true 4K HDR10/BT2020 content, not even close to the JVC, but very reasonable the HDR and WCG really makes it pop. So in conclusion I think I am going to keep it mainly for my everyday driver and with full 4K HDR/BT2020 content. The JVC hands down for my old vast 1080P SDR library or content that contrast is need with lots of low APL scenes. I would not recommend the BenQ unless your fully up to speed on 4K. I would also conclude 4K resolution alone without the benefit of HDR/WCG is almost useless in my situation with a 110” screen at about 8' viewing distance. Some other thoughts on the BenQ is focus/light uniformity are very good no complaints. As far a noise even in echo lamp it sounds like a hair dryer compared to my Mits or JVC in Echo but maybe about the same as those two running in high lamp.

Reactions: noob00224

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
My Mitsubishi HC7900 finally bit the dust with about 20K hours on it, lamp exploded and I suspect it hurt the ballast as no glass shards left the lamp housing. I am attempting repairs buts that's another story. I purchased a BenQ 3550 as a replacement and here are my impressions. First of I was very disappointed in the black level/contrast compared to the Mits. Playing 1080p SDR/BT709 content the same as I had on the Mits, the Mits just trounced it in contrast. Stepping up to 4K HDR converted to SDR/BT709 by MadVR did nothing for me either and I was considering returning it. I was having difficulty getting any HDR/BT2020 to play until I figured out my JVC RS49U was holding it back since it was plugged into the second HDMI port of my Denon 4500 even with an Hdfury intregral making it HDCP 2.2 compliant but after unplugging it the magic started to happen. The contrast/black level improved considerably with true 4K HDR10/BT2020 content, not even close to the JVC, but very reasonable the HDR and WCG really makes it pop. So in conclusion I think I am going to keep it mainly for my everyday driver and with full 4K HDR/BT2020 content. The JVC hands down for my old vast 1080P SDR library or content that contrast is need with lots of low APL scenes. I would not recommend the BenQ unless your fully up to speed on 4K. I would also conclude 4K resolution alone without the benefit of HDR/WCG is almost useless in my situation with a 110” screen at about 8' viewing distance. Some other thoughts on the BenQ is focus/light uniformity are very good no complaints. As far a noise even in echo lamp it sounds like a hair dryer compared to my Mits or JVC in Echo but maybe about the same as those two running in high lamp.
Why would black level improve in HDR/2020 mode?

From this review: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/benq-cineprime-ht3550-ultra-hd-dlp-projector-review/

The HT3550 makes the most of its 245-watt lamp with plenty of output in both SDR and HDR modes. After calibration, I measured 124.7332 nits white, .2048 nit black, and 608.9:1 contrast with the lamp set on Normal (brightest) and the dynamic iris turned off. Turning the iris to High yielded 124.0699 nits white, .0711 nit black, and 1743.8:1 contrast.

If you’d rather use the SmartEco lamp mode, it produces 123.8123 nits white, .0591 nit black, and 2094.9:1 contrast.
In HDR mode, with the lamp on Normal and the Dynamic Iris on High, peak white was 90.6794 nits, black was .0434 nits, and contrast was 2090.4:1.

On previous iterations the SmartEco takes about 5 seconds to take effect (to avoid pumping), not sure about the HT3550. Could it be that you're seeing the iris in action which is faster then SmartEco, assuming SmartEco was on during SDR and iris HDR?

Is it bright enough with the WCG filter ON?

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So far I am running d.Cinema, ecolamp, irs on high with wcg filter in place and it is plenty bright enough on my 110" screen in my bat cave room, of course it's a fresh lamp so time will tell. My Mits in low lamp I doubt exceeded 600 lumens so I am used to a fairly dim picture to get the most out of the contrast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts