AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why you ask? Although it's a great machine, the cost vs. the cost of my cheap Panasonic RP62 is much better. I actually prefer the picture on the Panasonic over the 1600. It seemed the Denon was grainer and there was a lot of moving noise and crawl that the Panasonic didn't exhibit. Also I noticed the screen door effect more on the Denon over the Panasonic. Pros for the Denon would be that it has DVDAudio but then again I have a Kenwood piece with Foroujda for DVD Audio. The Denon's menus looked EXACTLY like the Panasonic. Too me it was a rebadged RP82 not a Denon unique product. So for the price of the Denon I will continue to have two RP62's one working and one for backup and over a $100 in my pocket.

I really wanted to be wow'd but I wasn't.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I am about to return mine also in 4 Days, unless I can find some good reason to justify the extra $220 over the JVC N55 that has just as good as picture in Film mde.

For Video mode DVDs it is also as the other guy said "has a was grainer and there was a lot of moving noise and crawl"

The JVC did this also, but it was only $99 so I would expect this.

Maybe there are some bad ones out there? Did Denon change one fo the chips? Mine was made April 2003.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've had much the same reaction. We've been discussing it in the RP91 vs. 1600 thread...

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I'm returning mine as well. Here's what I commented in another thread, where I compared the Denon 1600 to the Pioneer 563A...
Quote:
I tested a Denon 1600 yesterday because I wanted a dedicated DVD player that produced the best picture quality I could afford. The 1600 has the same video section as the highly regarded Panasonic RP82 (which I had before, but sold, thinking now I might've made a mistake). The Denon has Faroudja's DCDi de-interlacer; the Pioneer doesn't. I did several A/B tests & couldn't find any noticeable difference between the two players. I'm returning the Denon. Both don't have CUE & both produce a solid picture without jaggies or combing. I can't obviously do the kind of critical evaluation Stacey or Don (the Secrets guys) do, but after having owned/tested around 11 480p players (my first was a Toshiba 5900 & my latest being the Denon 1600), I continue to be very pleased with the Pioneer 563's picture quality.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I still cant see any difference between the brand new JVC models and the Denon 1600 when watch hollywood hit movies (Film mode).

When in Video Mode (TV Servires DVDs) there are very monor difference that I could only tell. The other 4 firends and family could not tell the difference.

I still wonder if maybe the Denon 1600's made in the year 2003 have a difference Chips. I mean the Panasonic equivilanet is discontinued, maybe one of the chips is gone also and Denon had to use a cheaper chip.

Any one have any Prints of the old MOther board on a Denon? I can compare before I return it

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Hummmm....interesting thread.

I am actually doing a 1600 vs. 45A comparison as we speak.

After initial 1600 calibration with DVE, I too have noticed what appears to be graininess in certain scenes; particularly in the DVE montage of images. I also am seeing some amount of movement in Sullies fur when looking at certain scenes in Monster's inc.

I have a lot more testing to do, but I do find it interesting the 1600 is not winning over some users.

In my rig, I do not see the CUE with the 45A, so the lack of the CUE in the 1600 may be irrelevant to me.

And the 45A allows me to turn on or turn off 3.2 detection, so flag reading problems also may go away.

And without those two concerns, its purely a subjective comparison. Glad I have 30 days to play before I have to decide on the 1600!

BGL

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Could there be any User settings in the Denon 1600 Menu that we are missing in our testing?

I still do not see how the Denon is worth $220 more.

I must be missing something or I have a April 2003 model with a defective or less quality chip in it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recently upgraded to a Denon DVD-1600 from a Panasonic RP-56 (which is rated fairly high in the Secrets shootout) and the improvement was very noticeable in my setup (61" Sony HDTV).

I noticed a more solid picture, more detail - it's more 3D like now.

Also there is no more flicker bug (my main reason for upgrading).

Overall, the picture quality is much more film-like.

The RP-56 also seemed to emphasize red too much - almost cartoonish at times. The 1600 produces more accurate colors - especially the reds on my setup.

I too feared the price would not be worth it - especially since the 1600 has its roots in the RP-56. In the first 15 mins I knew the 1600 was a keeper. There was enough improvement, in my opinion, to justify the upgrade.

Mine has an April 2003 build date too BTW.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Quote:
I must be missing something or I have a April 2003 model with a defective or less quality chip in it.
What is the situation with the Apr-2003 units? This is the first I've heard about this.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Hey guys, I just purchased a DVD1600 from the Good Guys for $375 (ouch!) anyways I have not opened it yet because I read this thread and now I am thinking about taking it back.

How can I tell on the outside of the box if I got a decent run of the DVD1600?

Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some folks just can't appriciate the higher picture quality or their setups and/or eyes can't resolve the differences?

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean but "higher picture quality" is subjective. Just because you enjoy it doesn't necessarily mean you're above average in eyesight, have a better setup and are more adept at detail and quality.

I personally thought it was an "okay" machine but I also already have two Faroujda machines in my house and it wasn't "mindblowing" over my $1200 Kenwood nor my $150 Panasonic. For the amount of money spent on the Denon $350, it wasn't a substantial improvement nor was it on par with what I'm used to. No coaxial, no SACD, and the same menus that are already in my RP62. I wasn't impressed whatsoever. However those that don't have a Faroujda based player may be overwhelmed but considering I already have a standard in which I measured, it did not exceed standard at that price point.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
BGLeduc-

are you comparing a JVC 45a? How do you turn off the 3:2 pull down.

All,

Is there by chance a hidden or advanced menu on the Denon 1600, I still wonder if there is a Menu Item setting we are missing that we are having this Graininess issue? What settings are you all using, Dark, Auto ect>?

·
Registered
133 Posts
For those of you who do not see an improvement with the Denon 1600, what kind of display is everyone using? I just purchased a 1600 and am going to be using with a projector to create a 100" diagonal in 4:3. I am still waiting on a cable I need to use it with my projector, so I have only thus far tested it on my 32" TV. The difference is very minor with s-video over my 7 year old Toshiba 3109. I also tested versus a Panasonic cp72 and I cannot tell the difference. Of course the denon and panasonic have the same chipsets.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Quote:
are you comparing a JVC 45a? How do you turn off the 3:2 pull down.
Pioneer Elite 45A...didn't know JVC had one too!

I re-ran calibration with Avia (vs. DVE, which is a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment), AND added an attenuator to the Pbr connection from the 1600 (already had one on the 45A). Note: This is used to alleviate Red Push issues with your set. It is the best

·
Registered
70 Posts
Newbie....I just recieved my Denon DVD-1600 yesterday and quickly noticed a red push versus my Apex AD 2500. I swapped back and forth between the two players using the same component cables and video material to confirm this. Overall, picture quality was noticeably better but this red push issue has me concerned. Now, is this a function of the player or my Hitachi 57SWX20B. I have read were these sets do have a red push problem but this was not an issue with the Apex player. I read on the previous post that an attenuator on the Pbr connection should help this. Where can I get one of these devices. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The attenuator can be had at Radio Shack (don't have the part number handy), but its a small metal box with a pot on the face. About $8.

I have one on the component line of the 1600 and my HD box. My TV set (Pioneer 533) has a slight red push. The attenuator takes care of that.

I don't know if red push can be player generated or not, but I don't know that I would condemn a 1600 because an Apex had less red in the image.

BGL

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 5555
Newbie....I just recieved my Denon DVD-1600 yesterday and quickly noticed a red push versus my Apex AD 2500. I swapped back and forth between the two players using the same component cables and video material to confirm this. Overall, picture quality was noticeably better but this red push issue has me concerned. Now, is this a function of the player or my Hitachi 57SWX20B. I have read were these sets do have a red push problem but this was not an issue with the Apex player.
I don't think red push can be generated from a DVD player. It's more-than-likely in your TV set - like most.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i just got an april 2003 1600 from crutchfield.It is fantastic1 so much so i am selling my samsung hd931 . my panasonic rp62 does not compare.

I think the problems you are all seeing are caused from your display device.

I am using a hitachi 51gwx20b. I LOVE THIS PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
I don't think red push can be generated from a DVD player. It's more-than-likely in your TV set - like most.
If it's not the DVD player but the TV, why would the problem be visible with one DVD player and not the other? I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm really curious to know how/why this would be the case.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.