AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a new home and it looks like the original owner/builder was a audio/video kind of guy. However, I'm not quite up to speed on what all this stuff is good for. Does anyone have a moment to explain any basics to me?

What are the blue and grey wires? There are outlets ALL over the house, but what good are they in these days of wireless internet? I don't game so super duper internet speeds, while nice, are not a requirement for me.

The labeling looks pretty clear, thankfully, although the wiring obviously isn't as clean as could be.

This closet area, has a receiver which seems to power a 5.1 system in a make-shift theater room (not bad, but nothing grand). The zone 2 of the receiver can pump music out to overhead speakers i have in (2 speakers in each) the breakfast, study, master, and outdoors.

I do have some speaker wire in the breakfast area, but I'm not sure why? There are only two speakers there, but would these be tiring back to the media room? Why?

Thank you all for any advice or input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have just purchased a new home and it looks like the original owner/builder was a audio/video kind of guy. However, I'm not quite up to speed on what all this stuff is good for. Does anyone have a moment to explain any basics to me?

What are the blue and grey wires? There are outlets ALL over the house, but what good are they in these days of wireless internet? I don't game so super duper internet speeds, while nice, are not a requirement for me.

The labeling looks pretty clear, thankfully, although the wiring obviously isn't as clean as could be.

This closet area, has a receiver which seems to power a 5.1 system in a make-shift theater room (not bad, but nothing grand). The zone 2 of the receiver can pump music out to overhead speakers i have in (2 speakers in each) the breakfast, study, master, and outdoors.

I do have some speaker wire in the breakfast area, but I'm not sure why? There are only two speakers there, but would these be tiring back to the media room? Why?

Thank you all for any advice or input.
Not sure what happened, but I tried to post 4-5 pics...

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Taking a real shot in the dark here since you haven't been able to post any pictures, but my first thought is that the blue and gray wires are CAT5e cables, with gray being used for phone and blue being used for network. What they're good for is networking within the house, which includes internet. Yes, of course there's wireless, but wired networks are much more secure and reliable than are wireless networks. There are many, many people that use their WiFi only for mobile devices -- everything else in the house is wired.

I think you have to do 4 or 5 posts before you can upload pictures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts