AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fiance and I are 2 weeks out from closing on this house!

Unfortunately it has a 2 story family room, so my home theater options are limited there, but so far I think we may have a very good candidate for a bonus room above the garage that will look like a normal room because the garage is front facing. Here's the floor plans I mocked up in visio.

Part of me wants to finish the basement, but it doesn't add any SQ FT in this state, and I feel like you lose some of the tactile feel you get with the subwoofers on concrete. With the bonus room, I can sound proof it easily since it is separate from the rest of the house and far away from the master bedroom. (Also easily light controlled since there is only 1 little window on the front of the attic there)

What are your guys thoughts? I'll post as we start to move in, and would love to get this project going as soon as we get in.

Here's the basement with a mocked up HT/utility/storage area. It does have an egrees window on the east side there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I must say that it is a beautiful house. To get something like that in England would be impossible :(
Anyway, looking forward to following your progress with this one over the year, good luck with it all :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, here is the room that will be serving as the home theater for now... Need AVSforum's help.

Assumptions right now:
- Darker matte grey walls
- Light grey ceiling

Need some help in how to keep it simple, but good looking. The PB13 ultra is behind the couch, but in my intial tests was only a lot of feeling, not much hearing (no mid bass). I haven't hooked the projector up yet and adjusted any of the sound.

Pics!

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
My thoughts would be a basement theater, with a different layout.
Would an upside to not counting as finished square footage mean
that it wouldn't up your property taxes?

And why put the subs on concrete when you could put them on a
sand filled riser?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
+1 to Big's suggestion, but with darker side wall fabric. It's not hard to light up a small room with light
coming off a screen.

A "personal style" mini theater can be pretty cool, but I'd be dreaming bigger, with all that the basement
real estate.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume that the light and fan is going?

Please subscribe to my RTW travelling blog at www.wepackedourbags.com

Yup, will be removing that :)

My thoughts would be a basement theater, with a different layout.
Would an upside to not counting as finished square footage mean
that it wouldn't up your property taxes?

And why put the subs on concrete when you could put them on a
sand filled riser?
I really like the theater idea, and I suppose we could do this as a temp, but as we just bought a house, and are getting married in 2 months, budget may not work out or it would be a very long DIY. (not a bad idea though.)

and yep, in michigan, it wouldn't raise my taxes finishing the basement. It may be the best option for me.

+1 to Big's suggestion, but with darker side wall fabric. It's not hard to light up a small room with light
coming off a screen.

A "personal style" mini theater can be pretty cool, but I'd be dreaming bigger, with all that the basement
real estate.
I do like to dream big!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts