AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished buying a HSU STF-2 Subwoofer as the final piece in my modest home theater setup. Onkyo 674(receiver), PS3 (for Blu-ray/DVD duties), using HDMI-output, Klipsch RB-61(main L/R), RC-62(center), RB-51 (surrounds).

My problem with the HSU Subwoofer is that whenever there are loud explosions or a big rumble the subwoofer shakes and jumps around like a mexican jumping bean. The cheap plastic cone spikes which ship with the HSU and are used as feet make a horrible noise on my marble floor. It sounds like a cracking noise when it jumps around the floor.

I am highly dissapointed in the feet/spike design chosen by HSU Research for this subwoofer. My room size is modest: 16-ft wide x 14-ft long, 10-ft high.

Having said that, I wish there was a solution for my problem, because performace-wise (when its not jumping around) the STF-2 sounds wonderful when watching my Blu-ray movies and playing uncompressed 5.1 audio tracks.

I currently have my Onkyo receiver set to 54 volume with all speaker/sub channels set to 0. I also have the HSU STF-2 Subwoofer volume knob pointing @ 12-oclock noon. Anything above that and look out, there goes the black mexican jumping bean box again!

I guess I should start by asking you guys if the feet can be replaced with rubber ones, and if that will solve (or at least quell) my problem.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I'd really like to keep the HSU STF-2 because the price is right (for my budget).

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/0

I just finished buying a HSU STF-2 Subwoofer as the final piece in my modest home theater setup. Onkyo 674(receiver), PS3 (for Blu-ray/DVD duties), using HDMI-output, Klipsch RB-61(main L/R), RC-62(center), RB-51 (surrounds).

My problem with the HSU Subwoofer is that whenever there are loud explosions or a big rumble the subwoofer shakes and jumps around like a mexican jumping bean. The cheap plastic cone spikes which ship with the HSU and are used as feet make a horrible noise on my marble floor. It sounds like a cracking noise when it jumps around the floor.

I am highly dissapointed in the feet/spike design chosen by HSU Research for this subwoofer. My room size is modest: 16-ft wide x 14-ft long, 10-ft high.

Having said that, I wish there was a solution for my problem, because performace-wise (when its not jumping around) the STF-2 sounds wonderful when watching my Blu-ray movies and playing uncompressed 5.1 audio tracks.

I currently have my Onkyo receiver set to 54 volume with all speaker/sub channels set to 0. I also have the HSU STF-2 Subwoofer volume knob pointing @ 12-oclock noon. Anything above that and look out, there goes the black mexican jumping bean box again!

I guess I should start by asking you guys if the feet can be replaced with rubber ones, and if that will solve (or at least quell) my problem.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I'd really like to keep the HSU STF-2 because the price is right (for my budget).

You may also want to contact HSU technical support or ask at their own website forum:

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago /forum/post/0

You can put a rug under the sub.

I tried placing the rug from my bathroom under my STF-2 sub, but I felt the extension felt a little dull and not as crisp.

A better solution seems to be rubber "bumpers" which Home Depot carries.

previous posted link

Thanks all. I'm off to Home Depot now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a Hsu and have hardwood floors. I just put a small rug underneath it and it works fine. Before I got the rug, I put some rubber feet (bought from Home Depot) on the bottom of the spikes and that worked great as well. That should fix your issue immediately.

Regarding the sound, I am glad you like it. I love mine as well. I am mostly a HT guy and listen to music only occasionaly but since getting my Hsu sub, I love the explosions in my movies and listen to more music because I like the tightness of the bass and it does not sound like a one note sub box. I can actually hear detail in the bass I could not before.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Any sub that will "jump" so to speak can be corrected with ease and cheaply.

I would glue rubber pads under each plastic foot,or remove the plastic feet(if can be removed in a safe and easy way)and glue rubber feet.

The rubber feet work great,even with Sunfire subs and small SPL series Velodyne,these subs will "jump" way more any HSU will.

Total cost max $4 for the four thick 1-1.5" diameter rubber feet. Work great,I use them with many subs(from 30lbs micro subs to 120lbs subs).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just received my VTF-1 sub last week, which I believe is the same size as the STF-2. It came with the plastic spikes as well as rubber feet. Maybe this is something new, but I am sure you can probably get them from HSU.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/0

Hi Rieper,

Any soft, rubber-like material under the 4 feet should greatly reduce or eliminate the problem.

If you want to fix it for sure, follow this link to McMaster-Carr

Now type "Polyurethane" in the find products field on the left. After you hit find, scroll down on the section that says "Polyurethane and Polyurethane Foam Type," and select "Ultra-Soft Polyurethane." If you read the description, this is in fact Sorbothane.

Get it with "no backing" and just pick up a 4" x 4" piece in the "Soft" grade maybe 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Thinner would probably work, but 1/4" should be safe. Medium soft would be ok, but Soft at 1/4-1/2" will guarantee it won't move. After you get the pad, cut it with a razor into 4 pieces and place it under each foot. It really only has to be a little larger than the foot. Note that plenty of audio companies will sell you Sorbothane for some pretty rediculous prices, so don't feel bad about paying shipping on a small 4" square piece.

Good luck!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Lol, I was expecting something seriously wrong based on the thread title

This is a very simple fix and seems to come up once every month or so.

Make sure your rubber feet have enough clearance for the driver.

At Home Depot you can get ones that screw in for $3-4. Maybe HSU will let you get some rubber feet for the newer line of subs. Call them.

Still that's the most misleading and overblown thread title

·
Banned
13,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/0

Is it just me or is the thread title a little unfair? After all, this is something that is obviously easily correctable.

That's why I checked it out! I'm trying to decide on what sub to get.. I've narrowed it down to SVS and HSU. I'll be on hardwood floors, but yeah easy fix.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton /forum/post/0

If you want to fix it for sure, follow this link to McMaster-Carr

Good luck!

Is this the stuff?

Durometer Soft

Durometer Rating 70 OO

Quote:
Is it just me or is the thread title a little unfair? After all, this is something that is obviously easily correctable.

Very unfair and misleading as well.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I just got back from Home Depot, and I picked up a box of these:

I'll try Black Hawk Down (Blu-ray) tonight and set the HSU STF-2 volume knob to 2-oclock position, which is where the subwoofer begins to move and jump around.

I will report back later tonight with my results using the "Screw bumpers".

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.night /forum/post/0

Sounds like he likes his Sub to play 20+ Db's over calibrated levels....

Shame on you jedi!!!

As much as we've contributed to the 5.1/7.1 PCM, HDMI, and DSP thread over on the receivers forum...you should know me better.

I have my Onkyo speaker levels at factory default -0- for all channels including the subwoofer.

Seriously guys, unless you have a HSU Subwoofer with the plastic cone feet/spikes and have hardwood floors you shouldn't be criticizing.

And if my little experiment doesn't pan out, then the thread title is still valid, because it will be a big mistake on my part for buying the HSU.

On the other hand, if the screw bumpers work out, I will gladly give my report and hopefully address any concerns about the thread title.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.