AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyas, I'm new here but been lurking for a while.

Just bought a LG PF87k :) the 3D version - there are 3 on eBay.

While i'm waiting for it to arrive, i wanted to get some English remote controls.

I see lots of the magic remotes on eBay, but i was after the other remote.

Does anyone know where i can get the standard remote for a PF87k, i assume it would be the same as a PF85k ? or any other projector model.

·
Registered
211 Posts
cant wait for your impressions. i'm very interested in the 3d function of the model. do you need a 3d converter or does it have a hdmi 1.4 port?
does it work with every shutter glasses or do you need a specific kind?
what about the focus uniformity on your device?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cant wait for your impressions. i'm very interested in the 3d function of the model. do you need a 3d converter or does it have a hdmi 1.4 port?
does it work with every shutter glasses or do you need a specific kind?
what about the focus uniformity on your device?

I don't know if i need a converter

i would assume if it can do 3d in 1080p @ 120hz it would have hdmi 1.4, don't you mean hdmi 2.0?, hdmi 1.4 has been out for 5 years.

As for the glasses i assume it would be the same glasses as the old version, pa75k ? has 3D DLP, but the resolution was 1200x800

I think the PF87k has focus by turning the front lens, not sure if all models had that. the zoom i think is done through the menus

Will post more when it arrives.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't know if i need a converter

i would assume if it can do 3d in 1080p @ 120hz it would have hdmi 1.4, don't you mean hdmi 2.0?, hdmi 1.4 has been out for 5 years.

As for the glasses i assume it would be the same glasses as the old version, pa75k ? has 3D DLP, but the resolution was 1200x800

I think the PF87k has focus by turning the front lens, not sure if all models had that. the zoom i think is done through the menus

Will post more when it arrives.
if it has a hdmi 1.4a port (03/2010) then there should be no need for a converter box. if i get it right these boxes are for projectors with hdmi 1.3 ports who are able to do 3d in some resolutions at 120hz, but not accepting signals directly from hdmi 1.4a output devices..
regarding the focus uniformity. i can confirm from my lg pa70g (and it has been reported for the lg pf80g also) that it is very hard if not impossible to get an evenly focused image of the whole area cause of the plastic optics. its not a deal breaker for movies or games, but for surfing or pc use in generall you should recognize it pretty soon. i think in the other thread you can find a test image with text all over it to check it. maybe they have improved production in the meanwhile.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
looks very promising. seems like it has native 3d support for hdmi up to 1080p. so no extra box needed.
oh man cant wait for ifa and the release in germany :D
Yes indeed that sounds promising, but on the Korean website it says it's DLP link ready.
We need to find out what that means, or someone here on AVS could explain what it means.
If LG introduces a US version of this projector then we have a winner.
Unless ? LG has a totally new projector in the works with 1200, 1500 Lumens.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes indeed that sounds promising, but on the Korean website it says it's DLP link ready.
We need to find out what that means, or someone here on AVS could explain what it means.
If LG introduces a US version of this projector then we have a winner.
Unless ? LG has a totally new projector in the works with 1200, 1500 Lumens.

Not sure what it means, but there's this texas instruments site.

http://www.dlp.com

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
...it's DLP link ready.
DLP Link is a 3D syncing technology which is common with DLP projectors. It is a standard in the industry, so there are many different 3D glasses which are designed to be used with DLP Link.

The way it works, is that the 3D signal, whether it's frame packed, frame sequential, or side-by-side, is shown on the screen as a left eye image, red flash, right eye image, red flash.

When you put on DLP Link glasses, the glasses see the 'red flash' and go blank. Then the left eye opens, then they blank for the red flash, then the right eye opens, then they blank again for the red flash.

There is a thread in the 3D section of the forums about the W1070 and different glasses which have been used. There are cheap (sub $20) glasses which have strong reviews for their performance. I have the Sainsonic glasses which allow a bit of red flash though, and I have two sets of EStar glasses which let no red flash though. The 3D crosstalk is lower than any commercial theater I've been to, including IMAX 3D setups. There is ZERO crosstalk, which makes viewing 3D much more enjoyable.

So, DLP Link ready just means that you feed that projector a 3D signal from a capable player, in the proper format for the projector, and it will utilize DLP Link to show it on the projector. It's 'ready' to go. DLP Link ready. The projector may also offer options for other types of 3D syncing to be used. Such as an external RF emitter of some sort. But, that has extra cost, while with DLP Link you can get very good performance right out of the box with some decent DLP Link glasses.

Hope that clears things up some. My personal experience comes from DLP Link with the W1070. No buttons to push or anything, I just load the 3D disc, the projector identifies the incoming video as 3D (from Blu-ray 3D discs!) and I get a blurry, somewhat red image on screen. I put the glasses on, turn them on, and they immediately sync up on screen. It's slick enough that my 7 year old son has it all figured out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Unit has arrived,

Watched Avatar last night, was amazing quality, I've never owned another projector so i can't compare it to anything else.

Also bought a LG BP540 3d blu-ray player and a cheap Teac set top box($40) - so the TV images are pretty crap

Not sure what info you want but Here's a bunch of pictures all taken during the day on my android phone (crap camera) - so lots of light coming in through the windows with dark curtains. Projecting on beige coloured wall with no screen.

projected Image dimensions 2.3m x 1.3m throw distance is 3.2 meters to the lens.

http://imgur.com/a/igwcS#23

Regional settings can be either Korean or Other. YouTube and some apps are Korean regional (in English but must be pointing to You Tube Korea)

The inbuilt TV tuner wont pick up Australian Channels

Can't test the 3D yet, the pair of AG-S230 LG glasses i bought don't work (unless i'm doing something wrong) - I have 2 pairs of Genuine OPTOMA 3D TV DLP-LINK Active SHUTTER Eyewear Glasses BG-ZD-301 HD25 HD33 from eBay coming
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261519030188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

First thing i noticed was Tru-Motion was making the movies look like soap operas, so i turned that off.

Images are in the linked album above.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Unit has arrived,

Not sure what info you want but
1st of all thank you for your pictures.
for me its about these points:
- do we need additional hardware (besides the glasses and a 3d source) to enjoy 3d from BLU-RAYS
- how good or bad is the chromatic abberation on your device?
- how good or bad is the uniformity in sharpess/focus (some areas a little bit out of focus when others are perfectly focused?)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks PittyH!

No doubt, Native Full3D projector :)
Other than it not having zoom and lens shift, this is the projector that many of us have been waiting for in the last 4 years.
Zoom and Lens shift would be a nice feature but I can find ways to work around that.
Hope LG introduces a US version of the PF87K with hopefully more lumens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
great info,i like it very much,The projector may also offer options for other types of 3D syncing to be used. Such as an external RF emitter of some sort. But, that has extra cost, while with DLP Link you can get
very good performance right out of the box with some decent DLP Link glasses.thanks

1 - 20 of 78 Posts